daily photo: Mar. 20th

[a pack of pink, orange and yellow oversized malt balls]

Malt balls, an impulse purchase because they were so pretty. They taste horrible.

· comments [14] · 03-20-2011 · categories:dailyphoto ·

• 1 Rosie Bancroft // Mar 20, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Ha! You should still display them somewhere nice. Even better, maybe, because you won’t be tempted to eat them. :)

• 2 Jen // Mar 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Do I remember reading somewhere that you’re a malt ball fiend? What’s your favorite kind? I’ve had a craving for candy lately, but I’m a malt ball noob.

• 3 megan // Mar 20, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Rosie – I am planning on keeping them safe to use as Easter decorations at the very least.

Jen – I’m not a malt ball fiend, but I do appreciate Malteasers :)

• 4 Cailean // Mar 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I live in the same area and LOVE that store – I feel like I’m in that candy store in the Willy Wonka movie (1970s) but any impulse “hmm wonder what this tastes like” buy has always proved kind of gross. The packaging makes up for it a little?

• 5 megan // Mar 20, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Cailean – I do tend to go there mostly when I need photography props — this time I was there to buy the foil wrapped chocolate coins for the St. Patrick’s Day Cake. I think the shop is very fun to visit and somehow the presentation and packaging makes me think the candy will be extra special good. That said, the caramel Robin’s eggs they carry for Easter are really yummy, I used those last year for pictures and ended up eating the whole bag.

• 6 Rocky // Mar 20, 2011 at 7:47 pm

So…I used to work there, ages ago and in case you don’t know, before you buy anything ask to taste it! They’ll let you with the exception of the spendy-er items like truffles.
    And now I buy most my candy at Ballard Market in the bulk section, it’s a lot of the same manufacturers and a better price…

• 7 Maggie // Mar 20, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I love that store and have also made some regretful impulse buys just because it looked pretty. Ha!

• 8 Star // Mar 21, 2011 at 12:14 am

ADORED them when I was little. Now I can’t stand them. Or lots of kinds of European chocolate, which seems to me to have a malt-y underlying taste. So much for trying to be snobby….

• 9 Mrs. Kinne // Mar 21, 2011 at 2:46 am

This cracked me up! I am not a malt ball fan myself, but those are really lovely.

• 10 Seanna Lea // Mar 21, 2011 at 2:57 am

I don’t buy malt balls, because my husband won’t eat them. I might enjoy one or two, but I don’t need an entire bag of them!

• 11 Sticky Penguin // Mar 21, 2011 at 4:44 am

They do look pretty – which makes it all the more frustrating that they don’t taste as good as they look (although, as a lover of Maltesers, I suspect I’d manage them pretty happily). I’m imagining them as a cross between M&Ms and Maltesers, though…

• 12 megan // Mar 21, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Sticky Penguin – These have an outter layer of generic white candy coating and then the colorful shell. The sweet coating throws off the flavor and makes for too much soft stuff when you bite into it. Still, they’ll be pretty in a bowl.

• 13 EJ // Mar 21, 2011 at 8:30 pm

The peanut butter chocolate malt balls at PCC in Seattle are magic and in bulk, so you can decide how heartily to commit.

• 14 Amber // Mar 22, 2011 at 11:11 am

Ha! This made me laugh.

True story: as a child, it became Easter tradition for my dad to provide the Heimlich maneuver as I choked on the malt eggs my grandmother would always have on the table.

They ARE very pretty though.