daily photo: Mar. 18th

blue frosting in a KitchenAid mixer

I’ve been baking more sizes and shapes of rainbow cakes to see if I can recreate the nice rainbow arch in different pans. So far the answer is a very big no. Perhaps picking the right shape of cake pan on my first try was the luck of the Irish? I’ll update the original how-to with my findings.

Above is my attempt at Tiffany blue frosting which turned out far too pastel.

· comments [9] · 03-19-2011 · categories:uncategorized ·

• 1 Tobie // Mar 19, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I accidentally stumbled upon the exact shade of Tiffany blue for frosting tonight: 4 drops blue, 2 drops green of basic McCormick (i think, the red & yellow box?) food coloring.

• 2 Lauren // Mar 20, 2011 at 10:15 am

What are you doing with all the cakes? A big party or a cake-for-breakfast/lunch/dinner kind of weekend?

• 3 Laurie // Mar 20, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I can attest that I tried baking rainbow cupcakes… and they turned out more tie-dye then nicely arched rainbow!

• 4 Sabina // Mar 20, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I attempted Tiffany-blue icing (buttercream) last week and had the same result – too pale. I coloured the icing with white and then used teal, but couldn’t get it deep enough and didn’t want to add any more dye paste, for fear of dyeing people’s lips and tongues. ;-)

• 5 Seanna Lea // Mar 21, 2011 at 2:55 am

It looks delicious even if it is the wrong color!

• 6 punkrawkknitter // Mar 21, 2011 at 8:39 am

I’m kinda with Lauren, what are you doing with all the extra cake? I want to try making a vertical layer cake following this tutorial

and have each layer a different colour, but if all goes well, that means I have to bake, cut, and decorate four cakes… i don’t think I can handle that much cake in one weekend

• 7 Gillian // Mar 21, 2011 at 11:58 am

I loved the cake, and decided to make rainbow cupcakes using an adapted technique of a purple button sized splotch of batter at the bottom of the paper cup and working up the rainbow colors making slightly larger circles. I cut open 2 and there was sort of an a rainbow arch. The rest went out to friends/neighbors, I hope I hear back/see photos. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

• 8 megan // Mar 21, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Punkrawkknitter and Lauren – I’m tossing it out. By the time I’ve sliced it open and photographed it it’s not really something I’d feel comfortable presenting to somebody. Usually because I bake in the evening and photograph during the day so the cake is already one day old, etc etc. It’s all in the name of science!

• 9 Shelley // Mar 21, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I made cupcakes this weekend following your technique and they were wildly successful, except that I used a bit too much batter overall. What I did was make successively smaller circles of batter, starting with plain as my base, moving to red, orange, etc., ending with purple as a very small dot on the top of the pile. I think I could have done an even smaller dot on top of the purple, but they turned into nice little rainbow arches. I cut them and turned them upside down, and used fluffy white frosting on the top (formerly the bottom). Super cute and the kids loved them. My only complaint was that the batter really ended up being overmixed when all was said and done, so they seemed a little tough to me, cake-wise, but they were a hit!