Help Japan

Help Japan print by Rob Dobi

Help Japan by Rob Dobi, found at Design Crush.

Here are a bunch of ways you can help Japan right now. I’m encouraged to see how many people are making, organizing and creating ways to raise funds.

Ciao Samin is organizing a US-wide Bakesale for Japan on Apr. 2nd, and here in Seattle it looks like it will be happening at the Cakespy shop. If you can help or are able to give a corporate sponsorship get in touch at bakesaleforjapan@gmail.com, see all the details here. (Last year they raised $23K for Haiti, behold the power of a bakesale.)

At Design Crush there are two round ups: Help Japan and More Ways to Help Japan.

A Practical Wedding is giving all of today’s proceeds to the UJA Japan Earthquake Relief Fund.

Tea and Cookies, who lived in Japan for a number of years, lists all the organizations you can donate to, and she shares photographs of her time there.

Old Sweet Song talks about the day of silence on a bunch of blogs today and talks about the For Japan With Love disaster relief organization that they are raising awareness for.

Design Mom shows some simple and striking Help Japan prints.

Rakka Deer is donating all proceeds from selected items in her Etsy shop to aid for Japan. I dig the Atari controller card set.

Here in Seattle Frantic Foodie is holding a Pancake Breakfast tomorrow, Saturday March 19 between 8:30am and 2:30pm at Prune Kitchen. They will be raising funds for the American Red Cross and Peace Winds America.

two additions: Wise Craft and Posie Gets Cozy both have round ups of people and artists raising funds and ways you can contribute.

more: Shelterrific has a good list of fundraising done by familiar names.

· comments [9] · 03-18-2011 · categories:misc ·

• 1 Seanna Lea // Mar 18, 2011 at 11:25 am

There are also a ton of raffles and other giveaways to encourage people to donate to charities working to aid people in Japan. I particularly love Kitchen Sink Dyeworks (http://kitchensinkdyeworks.com/2011/03/11/raffle-for-japan-disaster-relief), but as a knitter that is to be expected.

• 2 Lucy // Mar 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Thanks for posting this list! Also, I found out about the Million Cranes Project (http://millioncranes.wordpress.com/what/) last night at a fundraiser at Cheeky Cafe in Seattle.

Living Social also has a “deal” going on where they’ll match your $5 donation.

• 3 rakka // Mar 18, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Thanks so much for posting the link, Megan! I’m hoping to post more items in the shop this afternoon!

• 4 SUPPORT JAPAN: Bake sales & more « daily nibbles // Mar 18, 2011 at 3:23 pm

[...] of silence in support of disaster relief in Japan, organized by Ever Ours and Utterly Engaged.  Not Martha also has an extensive list of sites to donate and support Japan.  Every amount [...]

• 5 megan // Mar 18, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Thanks Seanna Lea! I’m pro yarn forward things as well.

Rakka -No prob, thanks for holding it.

Lucy – Thanks for letting us know about the Million Cranes. I just read that the Bakesale for Japan will also have crane folding (not sure if it’ll be at the bakesale in every city). I wonder if it’s actually a part of the Million Cranes project?

• 6 dottie chang // Mar 19, 2011 at 1:56 am

dosomething.org has partnered with a foundation that will donate $2 for every paper crane they receive up to $200,000. The funds will go to Architecture for Humanity’s Japan rebuilding project. I hate this feeling of helplessness when big disasters like this happen, so I welcome the opportunity to busy my hands and raise funds at the same time. I am working on a senbazaru, which is a strung together collection of 1000 paper cranes.

• 7 Meaghan // Mar 19, 2011 at 5:30 pm

As far as posters/wall art for fundraising is concerned, these are my favorite, from This Paper Ship. They’re donating 90% of each sale of the prints to the American Red Cross:

Thanks for all of the extra links, though!

• 8 Sheila // Mar 20, 2011 at 3:28 am

For any Scottish readers out there – there is a “Cakes for Japan” event on Saturday March 26th in Edinburgh:

A London one already happened (with some AMAZING cakes) and was a roaring success, raising over £2,000 ($3,247):

• 9 Sabina // Mar 20, 2011 at 6:45 pm

A (maybe a few?) bake sales for Japan will be taking place in my city on April 10. I’m considering participating. It’s win-win: support a cause and bake (baking is something that I really enjoy doing). :-)