daily photo: Mar. 11th

image uploaded from my iPhone to Flickr and on to this here blog

My internet has been nonexistant today so I’m sending this from my iPhone. This is a photo of the bolognese I started at 10am. I’m starting to suspect the recipe author and I have different definitions of "a low simmer". Still, I think given enough time it might be impossible (perhaps Megan proof?) for a bolognese to turn out badly. It would be easier to pass the time if I has the Internet to amuse me. So far I’ve cleaned the house and washed the dishes and practiced with eyeshadow to create a smoky eye (it’s not supposed to make me look like I’m upset, right?) and I’ve even sorted some kitchen cabinets. The Internet better return or I’ll have my tax preparation done before the day is out.

· comments [7] · 03-11-2011 · categories:uncategorized ·

• 1 Seanna Lea // Mar 11, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Sometimes I really wish for a day without internet. I would read and clean and cook and generally get things done. But if I got an actual day without internet, I’d probably get cranky that I didn’t have Internet the entire day!

• 2 Mrs. Kinne // Mar 11, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I have never been able to do a smokey eye without looking like I got punched. Or like a drag queen.

Or, like a drag queen who just got in a serious fight.

• 3 Carey // Mar 11, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Actually, this is kinda inspiring. I might shut off my modem tomorrow in the interest of some desperately-needed productivity.

Oooh, smoky eyes! If the makeup is making you look upset, try easing up on the liner/shadow on the lower eyelid… and it might help to have a tissue tucked under your lower lashes as an “apron” as you do mascara & powder on the top lid, because the “fallout” of powdery dark stuff onto that zone between your lower lid & cheekbone can be problematic.

Smoky eyes… eh, it’s just tricky to get it all balanced. When I get it wrong, I kinda look like Amy Winehouse in mid breakdown, so I wash, rinse, repeat… but when I get it right, it’s my favorite way to do my eyes. =)

If you have deep-set or hooded eyes, pro bellydancer Princess Farhana gives some good tips on her blog. (glitter and sequins optional)

• 4 suzanne // Mar 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I second the drag queen comment… I end up looking like one when I try to do the smoky eye. I figure by the time I get it down, it will be passe’… but I still want to get those eyeshadow kits, dangit.

• 5 megan // Mar 11, 2011 at 9:40 pm

i don’t know howww, but i’ve been reading this blog for months without realizing your name is megan too. i also have a problem with recipes going haywire. maybe it’s the name.

• 6 eli // Mar 11, 2011 at 10:01 pm

i agree w drag queen in a fight look- i can’t make it look right. But what recipe are you using for the sauce? im planning on making on making a bolognese tomorrow for a potluck and was hoping to let it simmer all day… can you post your recipe?

• 7 kim // Mar 12, 2011 at 1:44 am

I am fairly new to makeup, but I’ve figured out a few eye shadow tricks.

-Use a fluffy brush with a light touch. In conjunction, those will help you avoid putting on too much product. You can always build the color up. I use a Sonia Kashuk brush.
    -Practice with lighter natural colors…. like a beige + a medium brown. It will help you get your shading down because you’ll be working with giving your eyes depth with fleshtones, not crazy color.
    -If your crease color is looking weird, maybe you are applying it too high. I have Asian eyes, and I was following tutorials on YouTube, with not great results. I started blending the color a little lower and stopped looking so wacky.