links: food

Favorite wines from Trader Joe’s?| Ask MetaFilter. I like the tip about looking for yellow tags, which means the wine was bottled specifically for Trader Joe’s and is about half the price as it would otherwise be.

6 DIY Mustard Recipes | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn.

Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Roast Chicken, Shredded Brussels Sprouts, and Parmesan | Serious Eats : Recipes.

the parsley thief: Penne Frittata. Pasta cooked into eggs is one of my favorite things. Via Pinterest.

Fantastic Mayo-Free Egg Salad Sandwiches › shutterbean. I like mayo just fine, but this looks yummy and I’m going to try it.

Cinnamon Sugar Pull-Apart Bread — Joy the Baker. Oh my goodness.

whole wheat goldfish crackers | smitten kitchen. I love the little fish shaped cutter.

How To Make Scotch Eggs | Nothing But Bonfires.

What’s the most honeycrisp-like apple? | Ask MetaFilter.

Can Food Lovers Really Survive a Cleanse? | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn. A cleanse with actual food from the pages of Bon Apetite.

How-To: Throw a Wine Tasting Party @Craftzine.com blog.

Cookbook of the Month: Social Cooking, Chowhound Style – CHOW. This is just like the Cookbook Club I’m involved in, but online. It’s a brilliant set up.

· comments [15] · 03-10-2011 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 Mrs. Kinne // Mar 10, 2011 at 4:17 am

I love the things you find around the internet! :)

• 2 Sharon // Mar 10, 2011 at 6:37 am

Have you ever tries the “Pasta Mamma” from Hugo’s?
    I saw it on The Food Network. Delish!

• 3 megan // Mar 10, 2011 at 9:48 am

Thank you!

• 4 Michelle // Mar 10, 2011 at 11:03 am

Try Jona-gold apples. They’ve actually beat Honeycrisp in my book.

• 5 Candace // Mar 10, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Too funny – I’m waiting for the first rise to finish on the cinnamon bread right now!

• 6 brynne // Mar 10, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Have you ever tried an Opal apple? TOP foods had them for a while and they are out of this world… so much crunch and flavor. Almost perfume-y but in a good way.

• 7 Marty Wombacher // Mar 10, 2011 at 12:39 pm

The thing that’s confusing to me about Trader Joe’s is that you can’t trade anything in there and I’m highly suspicious as to whether the owner’s name is actually Joe.

• 8 Seanna Lea // Mar 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I want to make the cinnamon bread so badly. If I weren’t already married, I would want to marry it (but it would be a short lived romance. Like a preying mantis, I would eat it!).

I’m waiting for the weekend when I can spend the time and not worry that it needs to be ready for the oven before I am so tired that I turn into a pumpkin.

• 9 Mara // Mar 10, 2011 at 2:47 pm

The recipe for Scotch Eggs is hilariously written (“oh my god, you belong at a carnival”), good find! That, and I have to say they look delicious!

We were just trying to figure out where we’ve seen those on a menu in Seattle, but we’re stumped. Do you happen to know?

• 10 just barrie // Mar 10, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Those apple picks almost seemed typical to this apple lover. I’m currently liking Aztecs, which I can only find at the Ballard Farmer’s Market and a friend just clued me in on Opals, which I’ll have to start the search on. My fiance loves that the Aztec tastes like Skittles.

• 11 Star // Mar 11, 2011 at 3:36 am

Thanks for the great tip for mayo-less egg (and chicken and turkey and…) sandwiches. It’s not that I don’t like mayo, but my Italian friends are not so keen on it, so the soft ricotta + white plain yoghurt sounds like an excellent and flexible alternative.

• 12 karin // Mar 12, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I have *just* the cookie cutter to try out that goldfish cracker recipe!

• 13 karin // Mar 13, 2011 at 10:45 pm

But instead of making the goldfish crackers, I made the cinnamon pull-apart bread. It is heavenly.

• 14 Katelyn // Mar 14, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I just bought two of the recommended Trader Joes bottles from that first link (thanks to you)! Liberte Cabernet Sauvignon and that Zinfandel port. Wanted the almond champagne but there was a sweet lady standing in front of the sparkling whites section having an involved conversation with an employee about prosecco, and I needed to walk away.

• 15 Katelyn // Mar 15, 2011 at 9:11 am

Also just made that cinnamon bread. I didn’t have a big enough loaf pan, so it exploded a little bit, but it’s tasty.