daily photo: Mar. 8th

sunlight bouncing on a white wall

I left the house and didn’t bring a coat with me today, it was gloriously sunny and warmish. People in Seattle talk about the weather too damn much, and this time of year I find myself doing it as well. We have mild winters without much snow and while I appreciate the lack of icy roads the downside is seemingly endless stretches of gloomy overcast skies. Generally I like the excuse to stay all cozy indoors and do repetitive things (knitting, video games, drinking, obsessing) but the mood stealthily swings into desperation sometime in late February. Its around this time of year that I get nostalgic for Cleveland’s snowy winters because at least they broke up the winter into an array of difficult weather that brought new and exciting things to have to deal with. In contrast we here in Seattle tend to be very enthusiastic when the sun is out, like today. Especially when you check Twitter to find that a friend like A Chow Life reports: “I just looked at the 10 day forecast. Rain– every single day.” Then you hastily take a photo of the all too soon setting sun bouncing against a wall so you can remember what it felt like when Friday of next week rolls around and you start to suspect you’re actually stuck in some creepy sunshine-less experiment.

In less Need To Snap Out Of It news, today I bought a giant plastic egg for what I hope will become a neat-o Easter thing. We’ll see.

· comments [10] · 03-8-2011 · categories:dailyphoto ·

• 1 redmenace // Mar 8, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Oh gosh. Hilarious! I’m so sorry, Megan. I was so bummed when I read the weather report. I actually read it twice to make sure I was seeing it correctly. Ha. I like to spread gloom and doom whenever I can! If you need a dose of sunshine, however, I can lend you my baby girl. She’s all smiles and giggles!

• 2 megan // Mar 8, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Redmenace – No troubles, if anything I was thankful to have the warning! And bring far more joy than gloom. Pictures of your baby M are making me swoon with the power of the adorableness.

• 3 Amy // Mar 8, 2011 at 8:07 pm

SERIOUSLY. My husband and I are just completing our first full winter in Portland (originally from Indiana), and I’m starting to feel like I’m never going to see the sun again. So when it’s been beautiful for the past two days, it’s all I can do to finish my work before heading outside to get some vitamin D along with everyone else!

• 4 Reading (and chickens) // Mar 8, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Can I tell you how much I’m enjoying this daily photo series? Because I am! (It helps me avoid dinner dishes, too.)

• 5 megan // Mar 8, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Amy – You will be drawn to the powerful Giver Of Vitamin D, but don’t let it bully you. The PNW summers are amazing — warm and sunlit and bugless — and I think we purposefully keep them a secret so nobody else will move here. Though, I do know from comparison that Portland gets warmer and muggier than Seattle. I will give you this advice that was given to me when we moved here — never forget that you can drive to sunshine for a day or a weekend. Either to the coast or east over the mountains, it’s amazing what a day or two of clear skies can do.

Reading (and chickens) — Thank you, I hope the natural lighting situation around here improves so I have something colorful to share :)

• 6 driveways scotland // Mar 9, 2011 at 12:12 am

I am regular reader of your blog. I like every photographs of your each and every blogs. Keep sharing more.

• 7 Seanna Lea // Mar 9, 2011 at 3:41 am

I hover over our forecast, but in Boston it is mostly to remind myself that we are getting warmer. And to know that I should use the long johns when walking Victor.

• 8 WanderChow // Mar 9, 2011 at 9:31 am

The weather is why I have planned a big road trip to SoCal next month, lingering for a few days in SD as a recon trip, then camping along PCH a couple of nights before hitting SF then home again. With a 2 year old and 4 year old. This is how desperate for sun I am!

• 9 Bunny // Mar 9, 2011 at 10:07 am

I just moved to Seattle in September and I’ve got to say that I love the rain. I think it’s because I got tired of the cold and grey of Monterey that had little rain and wanted nothing to do with yet another Cleveland winter. (I’m from Cleveland too!!) Given my background, I’m perfectly content living in grey for half the year and looking like I could glow in the dark from being so pale.

• 10 LAM // Mar 17, 2011 at 9:54 am

Being from Seattle as is all of my family. We don’t talk about the weather but people not from Washington originally do it is really annoying please go back to where ever you from if you can’t handle it.