daily photo: Mar. 7th

ECCC crowd

Ok, so this photo is from yesterday when we were at the Emerald City Comicon, but today didn’t have much going on and I wanted to take a moment to say how I enjoyed wandering around ECCC, and to give a shoutout to the organizers for taking the time to give me a visitors badge (my husband Scott plays bass for the awesome nerd rock band Kirby Krackle, and one half of the songwriters for Kirby Krackle is Jim Demonakos, who founded ECCC and does an awesome job of making it better each year, thus the badge). I mostly wanted to note something that The Stranger also noticed: there were a lot of girls there. I saw women of all ages, some with their daughters, all there because they love comic books. Yay!

· comments [9] · 03-7-2011 · categories:dailyphoto · events · seattle ·

• 1 Seanna Lea // Mar 7, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I hope you got to see some of my favorite web comic artists! I know both Danielle Corsetto and Jeph Jacques were there being awesome!

• 2 Laura // Mar 7, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Woah I had no idea your husband was in Kirby Krackle! I bought a CD from them at New York Comic Con.

It kind of just blew my mind that I found you both independently of each other.

• 3 Shannon // Mar 7, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I noticed the same thing when we went to the Alternative Press Expo (put on by Comic Con) in San Francisco last fall–lots of women involved in writing, drawing and publishing in a broad variety of media from zines to comics to self-published books, and also in attendance. Glad to hear it’s widespread!

• 4 Mara // Mar 7, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I envy you! I walked past the ECCC on my way home to Capitol Hill the other evening and it looked like everyone was having a blast! My fella and I are big comic fans (I like the art in series such as Walking Dead more than I like a lot of contemporary gallery art at the moment) and wish we could have gone!

• 5 megan // Mar 7, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Seanna Lea – I don’t know my indie comic artists by sight, but we did a circuit of most of the room so maybe I unknowingly glimpsed them?

Laura – You’re not the only one! Some of our best friends knew Scott and myself separately and were surprised when they found we were a couple.

Mara – Do come next year, even if you just get a day pass. The panels and guests are fantastic and the show floor is enormous.

• 6 oonaballoona // Mar 8, 2011 at 7:10 am

YEAH girls loving comics! or, as my brother would yell at me, graphic novels.

• 7 oonaballoona // Mar 8, 2011 at 7:11 am

YEAH girls loving comics! or, as my brother would yell at me, graphic novels.

• 8 Bubbles // Mar 8, 2011 at 11:08 am

Oh man, jealous. I really want to make it out to ECCC.
    Seanna, good to see another Questionable Content/Girls With Slingshots fan! :)

• 9 Leanne // Mar 9, 2011 at 8:21 am

I took my daughters (17 and 13) for the first time this year and we had a blast! 13 year old didn’t think it was cool at first, but was quickly won over, hehehe. We will definitely be back next year.