daily photo: Mar. 5th

a pencil, an eraser and some lip gloss sitting on graph paper

I’m deciding which vacuum to buy (ours is, well, sad) and I ended up making myself a chart to help me sort out which one I wanted. Shown here are three of my favorite tools for chart making: an Apex mechanical pencil which is nice and sturdy, has clicky action that lets the lead out bit by bit and a nice eraser that you can twist up and down; a pencil shaped eraser from Muji, I adore these; and MAC Lipglass, a new favorite discovery. The vacuum choice is coming down to which color I like best, even I am rolling my eyes at myself over this one.

· comments [41] · 03-5-2011 · categories:dailyphoto · misc ·

• 1 Liz J in Central Illinois // Mar 5, 2011 at 6:40 pm

We have had a Dyson Animal (the purple one) for many, many years. Since we have three cats, we needed one that would take care of the shedding cat fur. This thing really IS an “animal” when it comes to picking up cat hair! I love it, and if and when it finally dies on us, I’ll get another Dyson.

Dyson also has out a new hand-held vacuum, and I am wanting one really, really bad!

Just my thoughts…..

• 2 Lauren // Mar 5, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Ha! Lip gloss is an essential tool for all decision making.

I don’t know if it’s on your chart, but we have a Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive. The best feature is Inteliclean – it has lights that tell you if the carpet is dirty (red), moving to orange, yellow, and finally green for clean. It’s like having my own terrorist threat level experience as I vacuum.

• 3 Elizabeth // Mar 5, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I have the Miele Callisto (in black) and it rocks the house. My only beef with it is that it’s really really hard to get the hoses apart if something gets sucked up that you have to retrieve, but dang, it can clean a floor. And so quiet!

• 4 Natalie // Mar 5, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Love Muji! Did not pick up enough from that store when I was in Hong Kong.

I’m not seeing a Dyson on the list? I love ours. Bonus — the hubs enjoys vacuuming now. Is that on your pro-con? It should be.

And once I flooded our bathroom (I forgot that I was running water for a bath) and the Dyson cleaned it up. Amazing!

• 5 megan // Mar 5, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Lauren – Thank you, a Kenmore is on our list of vacuums to obsessively research as it’s on the best buy list of Consumer Reports.

Elizabeth – Great to know, we are leaning towards a Miele.

Natalie and Liz – I have to admit I have just not loved the Dyson vacuums I’ve come into contact with. Partly because we really need a canister an the Dyson canisters aren’t up there as general favorites.

• 6 Erin // Mar 5, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Can I get that sweet eraser somewhere online? I did a google and didn’t have any luck…

• 7 Lindsey // Mar 5, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I’ll put in a vote for Simplicity (I got the red canister). The price point is a bit nicer than Miele, and the quality is still excellent. But if you have the funds, go Miele all the way!

• 8 Stephanie S. // Mar 6, 2011 at 12:09 am

We have a Miele and it’s awesome.

• 9 Elisabet // Mar 6, 2011 at 12:16 am

At first glance I thought you were into Horoscopes now! :)
    I have a Dyson too, and it is by far the best vacuum I’ve ever had (and I’ve had a few!). Good luck with your decision!

• 10 Annette // Mar 6, 2011 at 12:32 am

I have a plain yellow/grey pull around Dyson. I’ve had it for 4 years. No problems with it and i vacuum everyday due to a hairy boxer (dog not husband). Never bought a bag or a filter. I just wash them out. I love it and highly recommend it. Only negative pont is the cable doesn’t always wind itself in very easily. Love you blog:-)

• 11 Kim // Mar 6, 2011 at 3:59 am

Let me throw nilfisk into the ring – compact, attractive and fairly quiet!

• 12 Maggie Mason // Mar 6, 2011 at 6:11 am

This is why I let you make these decisions for me.

• 13 Coralene // Mar 6, 2011 at 8:18 am

I love that you made such a detailed list, funny :) And choosing a vacuum by color is endearing, not silly! That’s what I did, and my mom even asked me which one I wanted, “the blue or the purple”.

• 14 Laura // Mar 6, 2011 at 8:30 am

Another purple Dyson owner with cats. Love it! Will buy another one when this one dies.

• 15 Jeannie // Mar 6, 2011 at 10:19 am

Another very satisfied Dyson owner. I had an Electrolux canister that I loved but after the Dyson ,I’m never going back..I have had the yellow gray model (the one before the ball) for several years now. We have 2 dogs who love tracking in dirt. Good Luck on your quest!

• 16 ellen // Mar 6, 2011 at 11:24 am

Another vote for the Dyson Animal for sheddy pets. I have had several Kenmore canisters over the years and did like them very well.

• 17 marypoppinsertraline // Mar 6, 2011 at 1:00 pm

There is absolutely no contest: ELECTROLUX. I have used every type of vacuum imaginable, in a 25-year-span housecleaning business I ran on the side, before retiring from it due to wear and tear from aging. Based on varied experience, it’s the only brand I will ever own. I have a four tear old canister-BAG-type Electrolux (Ever try to empty or wash out a Dyson or Dirt Devil-type clear upright canister and/or filter?? DISGUSTING.), that comes with wand/brush/rug/floor attachments, and a “Sidekick” attachment for stairs and furniture. It’s incredibly powerful, far cleaner, easier, and will last for generations!! Dyson, Kenmore, Miele, Dirt Devil, et al are the Volkswagon Golfs of vacuums, imnasho. You get what you pay for. Results speak for themselves. #team_electrolux ;)

• 18 rena // Mar 6, 2011 at 2:43 pm

you crack me UP with the lip glass! that makes my day. we have a Miele Polaris. it’s light and quiet and lovely. only bads are the bag filling with dog hair quickly (well, Mia does shed a ton) and it can’t pull it very well out of my flat felted Flor tiles. if you have more plush/normal rugs in your place, or just need to clean hardwood, it is fab.

• 19 Jill // Mar 6, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I have the Kenmore Progressive (for over 3 years). I will never own another brand of vacuum. Well worth the price (and it’s not too bad), easy to handle, LONG cord and hose.

• 20 Jennifer // Mar 6, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I have a Miele, which is great on my wood floors. But when I need the most power, I use a Rainbow. Nothing else compares.

• 21 Junie // Mar 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm

DYSON! I had an Oreck — liked it, but the Dyson beats it all to pieces. Especially on cat hair.

• 22 Sarah // Mar 6, 2011 at 6:45 pm

can i just say, i am so jealous of your hand writing!

• 23 David // Mar 6, 2011 at 7:49 pm

For an upright: Get either a Dyson or Kenmore Progressive.

Dyson is the best bagless, hands down. Their design is top notch. Extremeley easy to use. The way the hose/wand are accessed and stored is the best, fastest, and easiest design. I also picks up very well, and the fact you never have to buy anything for it is very convenient (belt is lifetime warrantied, filters are washable)

The Kenmore with Direct Drive is cool, but not as convenient as the Dyson. It picks up really well, but having the brush driven by a motor means one side won’t get closer than a couple inches from the wall. The turbine-powered brush works really well, but I like Dyson’s, as it can be taken apart without tools.

The tests that Consumer Reports does that give the Progressive top billing are weighted heavily for the pick-up tests. Their tests, in my opinion, aren’t that realistic (they are assuming that only go over a spot once, and always with a brand-new bag), and don’t give enough weight to the convenience. The little things that Dyson does so well add up to a huge thing 5 years down the line, while the little things that other vacuums do to annoy turn into a huge frustration in the same time period.

Yes, I have tons of experience with vacuums. I sold them for 5+ years, until recently.

Dysons were good enough that, despite getting as much or more commission from the most expensive of the Kenmores, I preferred to sell the Dysons.

• 24 megan // Mar 6, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I am gleeful over how much people love various vacuums!

marypoppinsertraline – I give you one guess on what car I own :)

Erin – The eraser is, I believe, actually a really old style. I’ve always found ones like these in art supply stores. The sides are paper and you pull the little string down and unfurl a layer of paper to expose more eraser. This one from Muji (which the US Muji online store doesn’t seem to carry) just happens to be bare of writing (which is what people love Muji for). I think they are called paper wrapped or peel off erasers (see this one at Dick Blick). Mostly these have been replaced with plastic holders, but I still prefer the paper wrapped sort.

Sarah – Why thank you, the hand writing is courtesy of taking drafting classes in college, where I studied set and costume design. It used to be much more precise than it is now!

We’ve actually just returned from a visit to the local Miele dealership and now I’m reconsidering my choice and instead thinking of a much more expensive model. It will be worth it in the long run but I think I’ll have to bring a paper bag to breath into when we purchase it.

• 25 megan // Mar 6, 2011 at 8:00 pm

David – Thank you for all the advice. However we definitely need a canister (small house, stairs) and it’s part of the reason we’re getting a new vacuum. I’d love to hear how you feel about Dyson canisters, they don’t seem to get very enthusiastic reviews.

• 26 marypoppinsertraline // Mar 6, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Ack, Megan! No offense intended- had absolutely no idea the car you own! The inadvertent irony has me blushing. Mea culpa. :/

• 27 megan // Mar 6, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Marypoppinsertraline – No problem whatsoever, I just couldn’t let the coincidence go by :) You made me laugh!

• 28 Crystalyn Kae // Mar 6, 2011 at 10:11 pm

wow, you really are hard-core. :) I’m loving that you’re doing photo a day this year!

• 29 dottie chang // Mar 6, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I bought a Roomba last year after I hurt my back. The Roomba is great for those with limited mobility. No, it doesn’t have a HEPA filter but I end up vacuuming a lot more. I use it for regular maintenance vacuuming and my fiancee does a more detailed job with our Dyson when he remembers to. I love that it gets under the bed and under furniture that I can no longer move on my own for cleaning. Just make sure to tuck away cords and rug tassels before you use it.

• 30 Morag // Mar 7, 2011 at 6:07 am

Professional housekeeper here. I’ve tried them all at clients’ houses, and I end up bringing my Kenmore/Panasonic with me. If you’re going big bucks, skip Miele (they’re ok, but not fabulous and have a high repair rate) and get a Sebo. Infinitely better performance and low repair rate. Lesser bucks, definitely the Kenmore (Panasonic), although this year’s models are not designed as well as last year’s. Too many fancy-schmancy add-ons they will probably drop next year. Dyson’s have the highest repairs and are just not that good. But you can get them cheap on Ebay as people are getting rid of them.

• 31 BER // Mar 7, 2011 at 8:17 am

we have all many many different vacuums in this house. So far we have had luck with the Miele. Personally I find doing battle with any machine canister or upright , very difficult, but this one is good. It is quiet and very efficient. I totally agree with Elizabeth. It is a nightmare to get things out when they are stuck. It is quiet and Miele service in person and on line is outstanding. The Dyson seems so heavy. Best BER

• 32 mrscharlemagne // Mar 7, 2011 at 9:05 am

I am also researching vacuums – our upright on hardwoods is just not cutting it. The last time I brought my sewing machine in for repair, I noticed that they sell Miele vacuums as well. I spent a good long while with the fantastic guys there [I'll send the you name and address, if you like...99 around north Shoreline], and they will probably get you the attachments you like with the color you like, and all with a 1 year price guarantee. I should be getting commissions =). I am hoping our tax refund is large enough for me to march down there and get a happy vacuum. oh, and my spreadsheet was eerily similar…

• 33 Suzanne // Mar 7, 2011 at 9:50 am

Hands down, get an Electrolux. My mother has had the same one for over 40 years. I still use the “Diamond Jubilee” model I purchased for myself in 1985, and it is still going strong having survived many rescued four-legged fluffy shedding dogs of all sizes.

• 34 emma // Mar 7, 2011 at 11:07 am

I have the miele dog & cat canister vacuum and I am IN LOVE with it. It is the best vacuum I have ever used and worth every penny. I have a dog and a long haired cat and it picks up every last piece of hair!

• 35 Romeoandjewels // Mar 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm

We have a Eureka Mighty Mite pet lover after seeing it on numerous allergy websites. I was set to buy an Electrolux and apparently these, while not as cute, as just as good. HEPA filter, recommended by housekeepers, pretty cheap on Amazon. SOLD! :) It’s been pretty good, especially with the power paw attachment. Even with a husky that sheds as if it’s his full time job.

• 36 Melissa // Mar 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I really need to know what color Lipglass. :-P LOL

• 37 Miss Cupcake // Mar 7, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Dyson, Dyson, Dyson!! We have two cats and lots of carpets and this thing is a dream. It practically vacuums itself and it’s completely foolproof to use. The suction is super strong and it’s a thing of beauty. I’m obsessed with it. I cannot recommend it enough! It makes me want to get up and vacuum again today.

• 38 megan // Mar 7, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Crystalyn Kae – We’ll see how long it lasts, I’m really hoping to get a good flow going as I’d been using my old hardware/software set up for so long and I found myself not wanting to do struggle with the new stuff. The photo taking is good practice but I have no hopes of becoming a photographer, I don’t seem to have the madness :)

Melissa – Sorry! It’s “Cultured”, a nice neutral pink that seems to match my lip color very well and just makes me look a bit more polished (I can use all the polish I can get).

Thank you everybody for the vacuum recommendations. We are very firmly leaning towards Miele because we need a canister (small house, small rooms, two floors) and every time I’ve tried a Dyson I’ve gotten angry with it (sorry Dyson lovers, but they make me crazy). I ADORE that I didn’t even outline my vacuum needs and I’ve gotten dozens of recommendations, though, thank you thank you.

• 39 Seanna Lea // Mar 8, 2011 at 10:10 am

I will have to look back here when I finally decide to replace our vacuum. It’s a perfectly fine vacuum, but I cannot for the life of me make it work well on stairs. When we bought it, we were in a single level condo.

• 40 Entropy's Bitch // Mar 15, 2011 at 1:54 pm

LMK if when I can send you a “Team Miele” tshirt.

• 41 LAM // Mar 17, 2011 at 10:01 am

I like by my dyson I have TERRIBLE indoor and outdoor allergies I have tried many other hepa filter vacuums and none are as good as my dyson animal I also notice if other people have a lesser quality vacuums that have pets even if they dust and vacuum everyday if they don’t have a dyson I can’t go over for more then 15 min. but my friends that do and they also have multipul animal I have ZERO problem