daily photo: Mar. 4th

yellow and green Amazon Fresh bins

Here in Seattle we have a grocery delivery service called Amazon Fresh. Yup, from Amazon. Grocery delivery is pretty normal but the only other one we used was Peapod in San Francisco which closed down a few weeks after we started using it. We never get our grocery delivery choices quite right, this time we accidentally ordered a giant box of baking soda and an itty bitty tube of toothpaste. Our own faults, the weight of what we ordered was clearly listed, but we had gotten a little click happy. We live in a neighborhood that is outside the delivery areas for any pizza places so I’m just thrilled we can at least get groceries.

· comments [13] · 03-4-2011 · categories:dailyphoto · seattle ·

• 1 LauraVW // Mar 4, 2011 at 2:47 pm

We too have had the tiny and giant foodstuffs delivered! Currently we have an enormous jar of peanut butter. And yes, all our own fault too. As was the time we got four bottles of a rather fancy balsamic vinegar. At least it was the sort of product that has a long shelf life, we got through it in the end.

• 2 Lou // Mar 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I almost moved to Seattle for a job in 2009, and Amazon grocery delivery was something I was very excited about. I would love to live in a city with fresh grocery delivery.

• 3 Traci // Mar 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I love food deliveries. I never used Amazon fresh when we lived in Seattle, but I did get groceries delivered from Safeway a couple of times and had a great experience. They even carried them up to the third floor apartment we had then. I’ve also had success with Safeway’s Genaurdi’s stores in the Philadelphia region. One of my favorite delivery services, though, is door to door organics which delivers organic produce. It’s a subscription service and what you get changes each week based on what is available locally/in season. They set the list of what you get but let you substitute up to 5 items on the list. I’ve tried a lot of different fruits and veggies that I wouldn’t have bought in the grocery store and it’s all organic! It is a great way to get yourself to eat better and do something good for the environment.

• 4 Michelle // Mar 4, 2011 at 3:40 pm

That would be absolute heaven.

• 5 tina // Mar 4, 2011 at 3:55 pm

i used to always use freshdirect in nyc. it had faults and it’s wonderfulnesses, especially because i lived along and had hand issues carrying things. i found amultitude of uses for their ubiquitous cardboard boxes but i know many found them anti-environment, etc. so i’mdigging those ‘a’ crates. do they come and pick them up, or you exchange them at next delivery? is there a deposit?

p.s. – my best size faux pas was ordering 2 pounds of minced garlic in a jar..i just didn’t have a concept how big it would be..that was a ginormous jar.

• 6 megan // Mar 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Tina – You can either schedule pick up for the bins or they will grab them during the next delivery. I don’t think there is a deposit (unless it’s there when you sign up, but I doubt it). Amazon does know where you live, after all :)

Michelle – Where do you live? In the US I think Safeway delivers, pair that with a CSA and you may never need to leave the house.

Traci – As you might expect there are lots of organic CSAs out here. After finding how much I like Amazon Fresh I might give one a try.

LauraVW – The balsamic sounds like it might have been a good mistake!

• 7 Melissa // Mar 4, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I do Safeway’s grocery delivery (in Seattle). Amazon Fresh doesn’t quite have the selection for me. I still periodically check the site to see if my staples are available. Until the there is Safeway with their shoppers who substitute when you ask for no subs and every sale item seems to be “out of stock.” Still, when I live in Belltown on the 3rd floor, it is the best thing ever when needing heavy items like cat litter. So worth the money!

• 8 Peggy Feltmate // Mar 5, 2011 at 10:43 am

I love the photo! The colours just POP! (writing from Canada, hence the “u” in “colours”)

• 9 cathy // Mar 5, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Where you get this great idea of a photo a day and would mind if I copy it it’s like a diary of the ordinary extraordinary

• 10 megan // Mar 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Cathy – I’ve seen the photo a day thing all over the place, so please do use the idea if you’d like!

• 11 Emily // Mar 5, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I love Amazon Fresh. Am actually trolling for recipes and making my order for tomorrow right now! I’ve been surprised at the quality of produce. Better than my neighborhood Safeway, for sure.

• 12 Rachael // Mar 6, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I love that bright blue door!

• 13 Seanna Lea // Mar 8, 2011 at 9:33 am

We use Peapod and Roche Bros in our area (Massachusetts), alternating depending on which one has the best deals.