daily photo: Mar. 2nd

string of pearls plant

Taken during a brief window of sunshine today. This is our third string of pearls plant. I cannot keep plants alive and killed our first two. This one Scott takes care of and I try to not even look at it too closely for fear it will deflate and shrivel under my very gaze. I love how the pods are a little translucent along the seam.

· comments [14] · 03-2-2011 · categories:dailyphoto · misc ·

• 1 Becky Sue // Mar 2, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I love those plants too but never had any luck with them.

• 2 miraim // Mar 2, 2011 at 9:08 pm

To guard against future sadness, cut off a couple of the longer strands (4″ or so) and stick them into a little pot filled with succulent potting mix. This way, even if your big plant dies, you’ll still have the little one.

I did this and amazingly, the big plant didn’t die, so now I have two. Yours looks really healthy at the moment–good luck!

• 3 karin // Mar 2, 2011 at 9:15 pm

So pretty!

Scott told me about this plant the other day, because I have a cyclamen in the office that I’m desperately trying to keep alive, despite pleas from the developers (maybe just one of them) to let it die.

• 4 Amy // Mar 2, 2011 at 10:02 pm

The best luck I’ve had with these is to periodically trim the longest vines, and stick them back in the dirt to take root.

My plant had various strings in multiple stages so it looked mostly alive, most of the time. (grin)

• 5 mel // Mar 2, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I’ve had two failed attempts at keeping the string of pearls alive, too. I think the key is to water them thoroughly/deeply each time. But the hard part is remembering to water them before the soil dries out – but also not watering them too frequently. If only they were as easy to keep alive as blackberries bushes!!

• 6 Starstryder // Mar 2, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Very pretty plant! Don’t worry, I have a black thumb too :( In fact it was so bad at one point that I killed off my hubby’s poor garden in a week while he was on a business trip. He now calls me the serial killer of the plant world, I keep thinking that there must be a plant I can grow. So far no luck…

• 7 megan // Mar 2, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Miraim – Thanks for the tip! I even have spare pot to use for the experimentation.

Karin – Good luck keeping the office plant alive. Don’t let me go too close next time I visit :)

Amy – Excellent advice!

Starstryder – We inherited a rubber plant that has managed to thrive under my lack of care. It went from three feet and scraggly to five feet and full. I try not too think too closely about how it has not died yet :)

• 8 Julie // Mar 3, 2011 at 2:40 am

I’ve killed two. Most recently, we lost a cactus. I hadn’t thought that was possible. I’m brand new to your site, although I’ve encountered countless mentions if Not Martha. Extra happy to learn that you too are in Seattle!

• 9 Seanna Lea // Mar 3, 2011 at 3:11 am

I cannot keep plants alive normally either, but my office plant is some kind of ivy or coleus and droops dramatically when it needs water. I’ve been watering it M-W-F and remembering to ask coworkers when I have to be out for one of those days and miraculously it is still alive after more than 6 months!

• 10 Rachael // Mar 3, 2011 at 6:51 am

I killed two of these too! We kept them up high on our baker’s rack because the tendrils looked so pretty hanging down, but I never remembered to water them, and the pod parts stay green way longer than you’d expect. I’ll look into rubber plants, though.

• 11 Amy in StL // Mar 3, 2011 at 11:35 am

Mother-in-law tongue and oxalis are two no fail plants. I once thought I’d killed a shamrock (oxalis) with neglect and turns out it just went dormant and a few months later was lovely again.

• 12 punkrawkknitter // Mar 3, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I can’t keep plants alive either. I surprised my dog has lasted a year in my home, then again, puppies dont’ need sunlight to grow… just food and love.

• 13 melissa // Mar 7, 2011 at 12:18 am

It is impossible to kill Wandering Jew (sorry, I don’t know another name for it – I know some think the name positive, others negative). And by impossible, I have accidentally put it in a closet for a few weeks (so no sun, no water) and after a couple of days back in the light, it was fine. It’s one of those plants that you just break off and stick in dirt so just find someone with a plant to give you a piece. Pretty too if you like vine-y plants.

VERY hard to kill are Mothers of Millions, but personally don’t think they are very attractive.

• 14 kaylen // Mar 12, 2011 at 7:20 pm

LOVE this plant! I don’t have one like it.
    I used to be the bringer of death to all plants always but then I moved into a house with a lot of window space and my plants have loved me! They totally appreciate me buying this house.

I’m going to look for one of these-I love the look of it. Your man is doing a great job with it.