Happy Valentine’s Day wishes

Chicago Dog at Po Dogs in Seatte

Yesterday Scott and I set out in search of a banana split. Since we were hungry and Po Dogs* was nearby we stopped for a hot dog first. And suddenly our day turned into A Quest for Phallic Foods. While eating we discussed other phallic foods and up with categories for processed (sausage, corn dogs), natural (asparagus, cucumbers) and sweet (twinkies, eclairs). There are many more foods but my attempts to force them into a cohesive meal failed.

When we ordered the banana split (I won’t identify the location, see the rest of the sentence for the reason) it came with banana chunks, ice cream and toppings layered in a cup. In a cup! That, my friends, is not a split. I didn’t take a photograph though I do wish I could have captured the look on our faces as we first saw the cup. Apparently The Quest for Phallic Foods will continue.

Here is to wishing for you that the people in your life are unfazed by a not entirely successful quest, and that you have so much fun questing that you hardly even notice.

* The Dub-T Dog (nacho cheese sauce, crushed potato chips, ketchup and mustard, like a drunk-hungry late night trip to the 7-Eleven) is delicious. As is the Texas Dog. However, given a choice of only one hot dog I go fairly traditional and order the Chicago Dog (celery salt FTW).

· comments [15] · 02-14-2011 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 kathy b // Feb 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm

hysterical. Love the theme..

• 2 felicity // Feb 14, 2011 at 4:52 pm

You had me at hot dog….

• 3 Amy Kirchhoff // Feb 14, 2011 at 5:02 pm

This would be an awesome date night!

• 4 Michelle // Feb 14, 2011 at 5:17 pm

My fiance and I are headed to po dog tonight for V-day, casual food is our fave!

• 5 Genevieve // Feb 14, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Should you find yourself in Port Townsend, hit up elevated ice cream for their banana split. You will be satisfied. Then go to Don’s for their hot fudge sundae. You will be rolled home.

• 6 megan // Feb 14, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Genevieve – Thank you! This sounds like a perfect reason for a weekend trip.

• 7 Julia // Feb 14, 2011 at 6:18 pm

A quest for phallic foods! Hahaha so funny. That hot-dog looks de-lectable.

• 8 Seanna Lea // Feb 15, 2011 at 2:56 am

I miss Herrells. I would go there for lunch with a coworker and we would share a banana split for lunch. We’d use different random fruit flavors for the ice creams as our justification that it was healthy. The bank vault is another restaurant now, but I still miss Herrells.

• 9 Kelly // Feb 15, 2011 at 7:42 am

banana splits do not belong in cups. REFUND!

• 10 Anotheryarn // Feb 15, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I’m not a banana split lover, but that atrocity should come with a warning – misnomer!

• 11 Star // Feb 15, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I miss “The Wurst” (if it’s still there) in Westwood Village, just south of UCLA in Los Angeles. A handful of tasty serious links roasted over mesquite wood fire, and on a bun of choice with toppings of choice. Where I am now, I can’t even get a semi-decent hot dog, and forget the buns available!

• 12 WanderChow // Feb 15, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I’m surprised you didn’t look for the most blatant: the geoduck!

• 13 sara // Feb 15, 2011 at 8:24 pm

fun (dang, i really want the Dub-T)! we’ve had great roadtrips with spontaneous themes…once we decided to pull over/exit for all things dinosaur related…

• 14 Stephanie // Feb 19, 2011 at 11:59 pm

My bf and I go to Podog on occassion and the Texas dog is SO MY FAVORITE ON THE MENU. Although, the dog of month, chilly, wasn’t so bad either. One day I will order the deep fried one, god help me…

• 15 amanda // Feb 20, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Ultimate phallic dessert — frozen banana on a stick! When the street fair would come to town in Eugene there was this vendor of banana-on-a-stick who had excellent toppings. My fave: rolled in toffee and toasted almond. I’d always go around school trying to find someone to go with me, I’d even buy their banana just because I couldn’t stand to eat one alone. It just seemed soooo pointy and long… to walk around with one alone just seemed wrong.