links: travel

Passports & Visas, Design Mom. Gabrielle is documenting how she went about moving her large family to live in France for a year, it’s very helpful and inspiring.

Central Park Nature, a detailed map of the park, via Kottke.

Sprizee :: A simple girl replete with complications: Exploring Paris. A collection of great advice and guides on Paris, including my own set of posts. (Thanks!)

Secret of Paris by Prêt à Voyager and Secret of Paris by Little Brown Pen over at Jordan Ferney | Oh Happy Day! While Jordan is settling into her apartment in Paris she’s gathered people to give their favorite Paris secrets.

Back in the States : All & Sundry. This is a note to myself to rent the cabin Sundry Mourning recommends here. At least, in March when it’s open again.

Top 10 Private Islands – Sunset.com. “Patos Island is the San Juan you haven’t heard of—probably because the only way to get there is to charter a boat to its unnamed beaches and seven campsites ($12/night). Walk the 1.5-mile forested loop trail, check out the tidepools, pick blackberries, or just relax on a bluff.” This? Sounds perfect. Wonder if they have glamping.

Winter Vacation in the Pacific Northwest | Ask MetaFilter. I’m using this for day trip ideas.

Recommendations for All-Inclusive Caribbean Resorts? | Ask MetaFilter.

· comments [8] · 02-5-2011 · categories:links · travel ·

• 1 WanderChow // Feb 5, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Don’t forget about Brookings, Oregon…the banana belt of the Pac NW! Even Cliff Mass talked about it recently. Close to CA redwoods, too. (Weds. high there: 60. Sunny. What?)

• 2 Seanna Lea // Feb 7, 2011 at 9:28 am

Glamping? Is that like camping with more of the comforts of home?

I keep dreaming about vacations. I don’t want to take time off from work, but I do want to be somewhere warm (and right now 60 would feel disgustingly warm).

• 3 megan // Feb 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm

WanderChow – I did not know about Brookings. I will have to look into this. Need sunshine badly.

Seanna Lea – Glamping is, to the best of my knowledge, “glamour camping” and usually involves a framed tent with a real bed, a “comfort station”, or, indoor heated bathrooms, lots of gourmet type foods in the camp store and pretty pretty things all around. It’s resort camping. It’s more expensive than regular camping but I’m all for it as I don’t actually enjoy down and dirty camping (or showering with bugs, or not showering). The island I talked about definitely wouldn’t have a set up like that. This past weekend I decided I don’t like camping but I do like cabin-ing.

• 4 just barrie // Feb 7, 2011 at 9:49 pm

We’re doing a knitter retreat at Doe Bay. There will definitely be glamping and hot tubbing going on!

I’m also going for their yoga retreat.

• 5 just barrie // Feb 7, 2011 at 9:49 pm

and by their, I meant there. errr!

• 6 megan // Feb 7, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I’ve stayed at Doe Bay, it’s nice. The yurts/domes definitely don’t work out as glamping. (My definition: Did I shower with bugs? Yes.) However the cabins are really comfortable. And the hot tubs with a view of the sound are fabulous many times over.

• 7 dottie chang // Feb 8, 2011 at 10:11 am

I am also a cabining fan over camping. One step above cabins is a lodge! My favorite place to stop in the northwest is the Lake Quinault Lodge which is in the Olympic National Parks (in WA). It has the feel of an old timey lodge but with modern conveniences. There’s something about it that I love, the great entrance with the roaring fire and the canoes all lined up on the lakeshore by the expansive lawn. It is a bit more expensive than camping or even glamping but they often offer specials on their website which also offers easy reservations. There’s a whole chain of these concession lodges in the Olympic and I’ve also tried Kalaloch and loved it. You can make a whole week of it hopping around the park. Also, this area is where Twilight is based so if you are a fan there’s a bonus.

• 8 megan // Feb 8, 2011 at 10:45 am

Dottie – We have yet to stay in one of the lodges out on the peninsula but we did look at them for a trip recently. I hope to do that soon. We went through Forks before the Twilight thing hit, it would be interesting to drive through there now and see how things have changed.