links: food

CakeSpy – Holey Grail: Why Do Doughnuts Have Holes?.

Vertical Layer Rose Cake – i am baker. I love the frosting rose pattern on this cake, and the vertical layers are very appealing.

BraveTart: Rainbow Sprinkles. Instructions on how to make your own sprinkles. I’m dying with joy. Via Edible Crafts.

otchipotchi: white chocolate leaves. A quick how-to on creating chocolate leaves by painting actual leaves. Via Craftzine.

Seattle Magazine | Blogs/Eat and Drink | Food News: The Pantry, a Delancey Off-Shoot, Opening in Spring. Butchery classes by the guy at Rainshadow Meats? Is a certain friend of mine out there listening to this?

Time Bomb Ice · Edible Crafts | CraftGossip.com.

Mini Pretzels – 20 oz. bag sold by King Nut. Whenever I get an airplane snack of those itty bitty pretzels I think they’d be great in Chex Mix but can never find them later. This company sells them to the airlines and to us, itty bitty pretzel Chex Mix is on the menu for next holiday season.

7-Layer Dip Showdown | Serious Eats.

Homebrewing Basics: All About Hops | Serious Eats.

Judy in Her Natural Habitat: Caramel Corn.

Breakfast Polenta: Two Ways — Joy the Baker. Yum, both ways.

· comments [10] · 02-3-2011 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 Stella // Feb 3, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Speaking of dying with joy…I am so thrilled you’re groovin’ on my sprinkles!! Yay!

• 2 Seanna Lea // Feb 3, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I love the vertical cake. I have an insert for a checkerboard cake, which I think I could make the same effect with as long as I didn’t alternate the batters. Yum!

• 3 natalie @ The SoHo // Feb 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I’m such a Delancey groupie. That makes me wish I still lived in Seattle.

• 4 the ravenna girls // Feb 3, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Ooh I’ve been following the pantry vaguely through Brandi Henderson’s blog I Made That but hadn’t heard all these details. Absolutely so exited about that!

• 5 kay // Feb 4, 2011 at 11:47 am

I hope (fingers crossed) that i am a baker will show how she created that cake. I love, love, LOVE that cake. i think Fiona would love it too in vanilla and pink. I especially want to know how to do the frosting. I am pretty sure if I did that I could get a 5-year old to swoon.

• 6 megan // Feb 4, 2011 at 11:57 am

Kay – Since posting it she’s put up a tutorial on how to make the frosting roses and has promised that a vertical cake tutorial is coming as well. Yay! You might have your dream cake after all.

• 7 Stephanie // Feb 4, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Fantastic news about The Pantry…can’t wait to attend a class. I popped over to Rainshadow at Melrose yesterday and picked up some delicious-looking duck confit for a cassoulet. Love that place and thrilled at the prospect of taking a class with them!

• 8 Amanda // Feb 6, 2011 at 9:55 am

Oh I couldn’t agree more on the rose cake, thank you for these!

• 9 Jess // Feb 6, 2011 at 10:47 am

As soon as I saw the rose cake, I knew precisely what I want our wedding cake to look like! I’ve had a hard time caring about the wedding cake… and then I saw “i am baker’s” birthday cake and called and confirmed with our friend the baker that she can make it happen!

…Thank you so much, Megan, for always sharing and inspiring creative and beautiful ideas!

• 10 megan // Feb 7, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Jess – How wonderful! And best wishes for your wedding and your marriage, I hope both are perfect.

Stephanie – I know people who have crushes on the Rainshadow guys. I’ll have to shop there more.