links: technology

BBC – Podcasts – Secret History of Social Networking. Via Waxy.

ALT Summit Presentation  | Mighty Girl. “Beyond the Banner: A 12-Step Program for Successful Content Campaigns”. This was a fabulous panel, I sat and absorbed every word.

opensource html editor? | Ask MetaFilter. I’m researching alternatives to my ancient version of Homesite that does not work with my new computer, lots of suggestions here.

Best Homesite replacement for PC? – Doctype. Another good list of Homesite replacements.

Free or very low cost image editing software? | Ask MetaFilter.

Things I learned at Altitude Design Summit | PROMISE TANGEMAN ART & DESIGN. A good summary of what was shared at Alt.

Gameloft Unmasks Mysterious RPG, Now Titled ‘Sacred Odyssey: Rise of Ayden’ | Touch Arcade. Zelda like, you say?

They Need To Be Fed Review | Touch Arcade. Looks like a very cute and fun little game.

Sarien.net Is Back with Activision’s Approval | Touch Arcade.

swissmiss | Grid-A-licious. A beautiful and minimal theme for WordPress.

· comments [7] · 02-1-2011 · categories:links · technology ·

• 1 Dot // Feb 1, 2011 at 7:23 am

I use Notepad++ for my html. It’s not fancy, but it’s nice :)

• 2 Seanna Lea // Feb 1, 2011 at 7:35 am

I like (for the PC) Photofiltre for image editing. It is a little barebones compared to PhotoShop, but it does almost all of the things I want in a photo editor.

Of course, for the Mac I’m using iPhoto, but I would love a more robust image editing tool.

• 3 Rachael // Feb 1, 2011 at 9:49 am

I just love your link roundups! Even when it’s not a subject I know much about, there’s always something for me to enjoy – thanks for the heads up about that neat-looking game!

• 4 megan // Feb 1, 2011 at 11:30 am

Dot – Thank you, I’m using Notepad++ right now. I mostly throw code around by hand but the one thing that I used Homesite for that Notepad++ doesn’t do (or doesn’t seem to, I’m still intalling plugins) is insert images with the height and width information already filled inside the image tag. The click insert image tag feature on Homeside saved me a lot of time. I also really liked Homesite’s tabbed instant preview, it helped me flip back and forth very quickly so that I could put descriptions under the images with minimal effort. I find assembling an image heavy how-to post without these things take a lot more effort.

Which is all to say, I’m of wishing I’d bought a newer version of Homesite back when it was still available.

• 5 diy-day.com // Feb 1, 2011 at 11:33 am

Speaking of social networking, I still wonder why Myspace has taken such a backseat to Facebook and Twitter. It seems to have a lot of the features of the latter 2…

• 6 megan // Feb 1, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Diy-Day: I think Myspace is messy looking and unappealing to the more adult set, and to the best of my understanding largely become a spot for bands.

• 7 megan // Feb 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Ok, update on my Homesite replacement tool. I’m trying out TopStyle and it seems to have the features I like, not surprising coming to find that it was created by the same guy who created Homesite.