Christmas tree ornament mobile, how-to

Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile

Here is how I made my Christmas tree ornament mobile, it was easier than it looks, promise.

The Supplies

• a 17″ steamer rack from a restaurant supply store
  • about 5 feet of lightweight jack chain
  • a small carabiner
  • 100 basic ornament hooks
  • one roll, 500 feet, monofilament jewelry string (not the stretchy sort)
  • 200 jewelry crimp beads or tubes
  • jewelry crimping tool
  • 100 lanyard hooks
  • 100 ornaments

Note: In the photo above I show earring wire instead of ornament hooks. I changed that later as I found ornament hooks made it far easier to move ornaments around after they’d been hung. Also, my supplies are based on a 4 foot tall mobile using almost 100 ornaments, you’ll need to adjust amounts if you make one larger or smaller.

Creating the Mobile Frame

Creating the frame for my ornament tree mobile turned out to be fairly simple. I used a lot of hooks to allow for easy adjustment and additions as the mobile was being assembled. I gathered materials from a restaurant supply store, a hardware store and the jewelry section of a craft store.

Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile

For the top of the mobile I needed something that would allow me to easily secure a lot of hanging points without them sliding around too much. The perfect thing turned out to be a 17-inch steamer rack bought for about $6 from a restaurant supply store (I found mine at Encore Restaurant Equipment in the SODO neighborhood of Seattle). The rack comes with folding feet attached that were easy to pop out with a little bending.

Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile

Turn the rack upside down and the spots where the legs were secured neatly become four hanging points.

Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile

I bought some inexpensive jack chain to use for hanging. You can open and close the links in the chain with needle nose pliers so there isn’t any need for heavy duty wire cutters. I separated four lengths of chain, attached them to the points using lanyard hooks found in the jewelry supply section of a craft store.

Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile

I joined the chains using another lanyard hook, and put that on a little carabiner which hung from the hook in the ceiling.

Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile

Notes: Why so many hooks and bits? Because it makes it is simple to adjust and shorten the chain and can later be disassembled and reassembled with very little effort and without needing tools. I kept the same thing in mind when creating the lines that the ornaments were suspended from. This added a bit of visual clutter but made the entire thing mobile easy to adjust and reuse in another year.

Suspending the Ornaments

Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile

I used jewelry monofilament secured with crimp tubes to hold the ornaments. I simply created loops at both ends. I made a bunch of different lengths (details on that below). I secured each line to points in the rack grid using lanyard hooks, and hung a basic wire ornament hook at the bottom ends. The lanyard hooks at the top are strong enough to hold heavier ornaments, and because they close they won’t fall off if the mobile is bumped. The basic ornament hooks allow one to easily move ornaments around from one spot to another. My tip to you: Keep the lines as separate as possible while you’re working with them. I spent more time untangling clear threads than doing anything else on this project. It was maddening. After I discovered just how maddening I started hanging them in groups by length from a curtain rod and weighing them down with an ornament to keep them separated, doing this made the hanging of the ornaments go quickly.

Notes: The use of ornament hooks allows for ornaments to easily be moved around. It does add visual clutter, though. If you want to create a mobile that would only be used once securing the monofilament line directly to the ornaments would look much tidier. I initially planned to use earring wire hooks that closed to hang the ornaments but quickly found that they were frustrating to fiddle with every time I wanted to move an ornament from one spot to another. They were prettier, though, and because those close as well would hold ornaments more securely if the mobile is moved around. (Which I don’t suggest as it tangles the lines horribly. So horribly.) Crimp tools come in three sizes Micro, Regular and Mighty (large). I used the regular size. I did try to use nylon sewing thread but found that the crimps didn’t secure it well enough. I did consider using nylon sewing thread with micro crimp beads and the micro crimping tool but think one would need a lot of patience and really great lighting to get all that done. The monofilament jewelry string is pretty stiff and easy to work with.

Determining Placement and Lengths

Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile

Figuring out where to put the hanging points on the rack involved a bit of math, most all of which I abandoned. I’ll do my best to describe what I did.

I decided to create rings on the rack, with the longer threads hanging on the outside rings to create the cone tree shape. Actually it creates tiers, think a tall skinny wedding cake. I figured that my ornaments were usually about 2 or 3 inches in diameter so I needed to space the rings a little more than 1 inch apart so that the ornaments would have room to hang without being crowded by the longer threads around them. I spaced the rings about 1.5 inches apart. This gave me a center point and 6 rings to work with, with the last ring being the outer edge of the rack, like so:

Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile

I determined I wanted my tree to be about four feet in total height from the top ornament to the bottom. I made the first ornament, the center point, hang 3.5 inches, and added length from there. For my needs, each set of string needed to be 1.75 inches longer than the last. Each ring on the hanging rack held for different lengths of string. I added 2 inches to the length of string I actually cut to allow for the loops.

To figure out how many ornaments per ring I, well, completely made it up. I decided the first ring should hold seven ornaments and went up by four from there. So the number of ornaments went: 1, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23, 27. I divided the four lengths of string between those, giving the longest length more ornaments to help the triangle effect. Whew. So I cut this many at these lengths for these rings:

• For the Center Point: 5.5″
  • For Ring 1: one at 7.25″, one at 9.0″, two at 10.75″, three at 12.5″
  • For Ring 2: two at 14.25″, two at 16.0″, three at 17.75″, four at 19.5″
  • For Ring 3: three at 21.25″, three at 23.0″, four at 24.75″, five at 26.5″
  • For Ring 4: four at 28.25″, four at 30.0″, five at 31.75″, six at 33.5″
  • For Ring 5: five at 35.25″, five at 37.0″, six at 38.75″, seven at 40.5″
  • For Ring 6: six at 42.25″, six at 44.0″, seven at 45.75″, eight at 47.5″

Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile

In order to make the measuring a cutting go as quickly as possible I taped a cloth measuring tape to a tabletop and marked each length with the number I needed to cut with sticky notes. So all it took was to stretch some string out and clip at the needed point. Keep these in groups at this point forward, it will make it far easier later. I looped and crimped the ends, then hung them in groups on a curtain rod weighted down by an ornament.

Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile

To figure out where my rings would fall on the rack I tied a cotton string to my center point and marked it at 1.5 inch intervals. Then I swung the string around and put as many hooks as I needed on each given ring. I usually put them on the X and Y axis first, then filled in the quadrants. It went faster than it sounds, promise. I spaced the hooks, aka the hanging points, like so:

Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile

Looking up at the mobile from below you can sort of see the rings emerging:

Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile

And after this I attached a hook into my ceiling and hung the rack. I found the best way to hang everything is to work from the center out, hang each set of lengths of monofilament string spacing it around it’s designated ring as evenly as possible, then hang ornaments before moving on to the next set of lengths of string. By weighing the strings down as you go along it will help them from getting tangled as you work. You can add or move string, and move ornaments around if needed. I didn’t worry too much about getting everything just perfect and I think it worked to my advantage, the slightly controlled randomness gives it a nicely organic look. At least I hope so.

Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile

If I were to do it again I would make my tree taller and more dramatic. I think I would try to squeeze in one more ring and stagger the ornaments with even more lengths of string, maybe in increments by the inch. As it was I found that there are lots of spots where two of the same length are side by side. If I had more money to devote I would buy glass ornaments that don’t have a metal cap, just a glass loop at the top, and would skip the ornament hooks to make it look tidier.

Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile

I’m growing more and more fond of the mobile with clear glass ornaments.

update: Here is a photo of the mobile taken apart and ready for storage, the ornament hooks in a bag and each set of lengths of string committed to it’s own numbered envelope. The envelopes were orphans from previous years of Christmas cards that I had saved (reuse!). I left the hanging hooks on the rack so when I return to put it up again next year it will be very quick and easy.

· comments [263] · 12-21-2010 · categories:christmas · craft ·

• 1 Ky@Voodoo Rabbit // Dec 21, 2010 at 4:03 am

This is so awesome. I am going to make one of these as my Christmas tree next year:)

• 2 Jessica // Dec 21, 2010 at 5:00 am

This really is incredible. You did an outstanding job! And it definitely makes my tiny fake tree pale in comparison. ;-)

• 3 Lou // Dec 21, 2010 at 5:01 am

This is beautiful! I was glad you picked the green tree. I wonder what this would look like with toy ornaments scattered throughout.

Your house looks great too!

• 4 Tom S. // Dec 21, 2010 at 5:39 am

What about pointing a flood light down from the rack onto the ornaments, esp the clear ones? Since you can’t have string lights like a regular tree.

• 5 Julie // Dec 21, 2010 at 6:02 am

Gorgeous- love the clear one,like bubbles

• 6 EmilyPineapple // Dec 21, 2010 at 6:09 am

Stunning!!! I am going to make one of these for Christmas next year AND I am going to make a non-tree version to use as a mobile in my son’s room. Genius!

• 7 Allison // Dec 21, 2010 at 6:47 am

You kinda dazzle me.

• 8 Kim // Dec 21, 2010 at 7:22 am

My goodness, you have been busy (and patient)! Looks awesome, well done!

• 9 LJ // Dec 21, 2010 at 7:48 am

This is great – might would be interesting to put tiny items into some of the clear ornaments…

• 10 emily // Dec 21, 2010 at 7:57 am

this is incredible…i really want to do this for next year! how do you plan to store this during the non-christmas months?

• 11 Erin // Dec 21, 2010 at 7:58 am

Thank you so much for sharing this and taking the time to make a tutorial! I absolutely love the tree!

• 12 cakeburnette // Dec 21, 2010 at 8:03 am

This is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. I wish I could recreate it, but I know there is no way in the universe I would ever be able to find time to do this. Oh, wait–maybe I can buy the ornaments when they go on clearance after the holidays! If I start in January, I just might be able to complete one by next December!

• 13 cakeburnette // Dec 21, 2010 at 8:04 am

I just realized something. Cat probably would wreak havoc with this. So maybe I won’t attempt it after all.

• 14 Seanna Lea // Dec 21, 2010 at 8:04 am

Amazing. I still want to put led lights in the caps of the glass ornaments, but I don’t know how feasible that would be.

• 15 lilly // Dec 21, 2010 at 8:42 am

this is such a fab idea for a modern christmas tree look! it’s so cute, great job!!! :)

• 16 Jen // Dec 21, 2010 at 8:57 am

this is AWESOME! so want to try this next year!

• 17 Carrie @ Half Baked - The Cake Blog // Dec 21, 2010 at 9:02 am

I just love this! It is truly just wonderful!

• 18 Sara // Dec 21, 2010 at 9:03 am

I so wish I’d seen this earlier in the season. Will definitely try this next year!

• 19 Shirra // Dec 21, 2010 at 9:08 am

This is amazing! So cool.

• 20 Gini // Dec 21, 2010 at 9:29 am

Ho-ly crow!

• 21 Hazel // Dec 21, 2010 at 9:47 am

That looks AMAZING!!!

• 22 Mia // Dec 21, 2010 at 9:57 am

Wow – a lot of work went into making that. The results look fantastic and I’m really hoping to give this a go (next year though probably)!

• 23 Jenny // Dec 21, 2010 at 10:04 am

What a fantastic idea – and so well documented. Thank you, Megan! Next year when I get around to doing a tree, I might just try this!

• 24 megan // Dec 21, 2010 at 10:19 am

Emily – To store it I’ll put the ornaments back in their packaging, remove the hooks and strings and store the strings flat in envelopes separated by size. The chain comes off with hooks and the frame will store pretty flat. It breaks down into a nice small size. I think I can store everything but the ornaments in something the size of a pizza box.

Cakeburnette – Yes! I’m planning on buying ornaments on clearance when the holidays are just past and seeing if I can make a tree like this taller next year.

Lou – I thought about adding a few colorful ornaments to the green tree but I decided that I would need a bigger tree for that to work visually. I’m also wondering if I can somehow string tinsel from one hook to the next.

Tom S – I personally don’t have the ceiling room to point a light straight down into the tree but it’s a great idea.

Seanna Lea – LEDs in the ornaments would be cool. I wonder if I could get that to work.

Thanks so much for all the comments everybody!

• 25 marilyn // Dec 21, 2010 at 10:45 am

FANTASTIC!!!

• 26 joanne // Dec 21, 2010 at 10:55 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! thanks for sharing!

• 27 ninjac // Dec 21, 2010 at 11:08 am

Seanna Lea & Megan – Michaels has little self contained LED lights in their bridal aisle. Maybe for Christmas Eve you can pop a few in the ornaments.

• 28 Sera Marie // Dec 21, 2010 at 11:16 am

You are AMAZING!!!!

Thank you for sharing this beautiful tree with us!

Merry Christmas to you and yours,
    Sera

• 29 Elaine // Dec 21, 2010 at 11:19 am

OMG! I have a gazillion crystal ornaments…. I am SO going to do this next year! Thank you so much for the beauty and for the tutorial!!

• 30 Kate // Dec 21, 2010 at 11:41 am

Lovely and inspiring! Thanks so much for creating the how-to.

• 31 Amy in StL // Dec 21, 2010 at 11:53 am

I don’t have room in my condo for a tree, but might be able to swing doing this. I’m wondering how it would look with all different ornaments like a real Xmas tree. My mom is gifting me all the family ornaments this year….

• 32 Entropy's Bitch // Dec 21, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Gosh that’s beautiful. I love the clear one as well, but the green one is more tree-ee.

I’m seeing long strings of crystals here and there within it for “decoration”. Or hanging tiny lights within it. But as it is, it’s perfect. *golf clap*

• 33 gaile // Dec 21, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Brilliant! I love how all that advance planning and maths made it looks just perfect. And thank you for doing all of that so the rest of us don’t have to. ;-) Oh, if only my cat weren’t so very naughty…

• 34 Susan (5 Minutes for Mom) // Dec 21, 2010 at 2:04 pm

So clever. I love it.

• 35 Sarah S // Dec 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm

This is amazing! I can picture the clear ornaments with a little fake snow and figurines inside. There are so many ways to personalize this idea. Thanks for sharing!

• 36 Callooh Callay » Blog Archive » Last Minute Christmas // Dec 21, 2010 at 8:07 pm

[...] Ornament mobile by Not Martha [...]

• 37 PioneerValleyGirl // Dec 22, 2010 at 7:06 am

Brilliant! I’m saving this for next year: will be a clear glass one of these somewhere in my house

• 38 DIY: Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile – Fresh Home Blog // Dec 22, 2010 at 8:31 am

[...] so obsessed with this Christmas tree ornament mobiles Megan made on her blog, not martha. She hung jewelry monofilament from a cooling rack, which she attached to the ceiling. The [...]

• 39 Bonnie // Dec 22, 2010 at 8:47 am

I can’t tell you how much I love this. I now can’t stop thinking about where I could hang one (or 10) in my house. Thanks so much for posting such great instructions!

• 40 just barrie // Dec 22, 2010 at 11:17 am

While I love the how-to, what I really want to know is how the heck do you even come up with these ideas in the first place? Never in my wildest dreams would I think, hey let’s make a chandelier christmas tree. Do you sit down and force yourself to think of new things to do each season? Is there a certain magazine that makes your lightbulb turn on? To me, that’s the most fascinating part and kudos to you for being original enough to think it up AND then create it.

• 41 megan // Dec 22, 2010 at 11:41 am

Barrie – It’s parts practical need, inspiration from a bunch of sources and those coming together in a moment when I’m thinking of something else, usually while I’m driving. In this case we didn’t have floor space for a tree except in front of the window, so I started thinking of what I could do to make something that wouldn’t block the light. I was taking into consideration those bubble chandeliers that have been popular lately, the wire tree that Ikea had for sale this year, the glass bubble wreath made by CB2, a continuous obsession with clear glass ornaments that look like bubbles, and having a bunch of hanging ornament displays catching my eye.

Then I go through a bunch of ways to make it. I took note of how Anthropologie hangs their dramatic displays and noticed metal grids. I knew I’d seen round cookie cooling racks before (impractical for that purpose but probably just a modified version of the steamer rack I ended up with). Initially I was thinking of suspending small chain but that proved too expensive. I went looking at fishing line and hardware store ferrels before realizing jewelry hardware would be easier to work with. I had to learn to crimp beads (I always end up needing to learn something new, which slows me down, in this case I ended up buying the wrong sized crimp tool not once but twice).

Then I make a bunch of mistakes while making it and usually end up creating two or three versions. For this tree these monofilament lines were my second try, the first had tiers that were spaced too far apart. I ran out of time, but if I’d had another week I would have made a taller tree that used even more ornaments, something I’m keeping in mind for next year since our house won’t get any bigger between then and now.

I hope this answers your question, and Merry Christmas!

• 42 Kris // Dec 22, 2010 at 11:48 am

WOW this looks incredible! Think I’m going to try and get a load of baubles in the post-xmas sale and make one next year!

• 43 Ev // Dec 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Megan, If I am ever stranded on a desert island or anywhere, I want YOU to be with me!

• 44 clotilde // Dec 22, 2010 at 2:50 pm

This is absolutely fascinating, thanks for the how-to!

And I love Ev’s comment above. Can’t think of a nicer compliment!

• 45 B // Dec 22, 2010 at 4:10 pm

the bizz-omb.

• 46 Vincci // Dec 22, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Wow. This is the coolest thing I’ve seen in my life.

• 47 Jessica // Dec 22, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Beautiful.
    What incredible talent.

• 48 Jennifer // Dec 22, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Awesome job! LOVE it!Happy holidays!

• 49 Candy from Candied Fabrics // Dec 22, 2010 at 7:49 pm

These are gorgeous and you are amazing!

• 50 Melanie // Dec 22, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Well, notmartha, that was totally Martha-esque!! Wonderful! I don’t think she could have done it better herself.

I may use this idea next year so I can get more Christmas “trees” in every room. Totally fabulous!!

Blessings and Merry Christmas!

• 51 louise // Dec 22, 2010 at 11:51 pm

I LOVE this! I have been wanting a white tree, but at the smae time not wanting to commit to actually buying one… Maybe I’ll do this next year, even though I just bought a really cool new garland for next year…

• 52 Baxter's Mom // Dec 23, 2010 at 5:32 am

Kudos! What a brilliant idea. The boxes of gold balls from a previous project will be put to good use again next year. Thanks for the wonderful step-by-steps.

• 53 Betty // Dec 23, 2010 at 7:55 am

That’s just lovely! Great construction and well-written too.

• 54 Christmas tree ornament mobile, how-to | lorraineda01 // Dec 23, 2010 at 8:19 am

[...] Source: http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2010/12/21/christmas-tree-ornament-mobile-how-to/ [...]

• 55 JustGail // Dec 23, 2010 at 9:25 am

This is sooooo much nicer than hanging the tree upside down from the ceiling! Great idea, and thanks for sharing.

• 56 Anita // Dec 23, 2010 at 11:58 am

LOVE. THIS.
    I only wish I had found your blog sooner!!!

• 57 LWJ // Dec 23, 2010 at 12:49 pm

O I love this so much! The only thing I would do differently is have a star shaped ornament at the top. It’s beautiful.

• 58 Sara // Dec 23, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I’m not really into Christmas decorations in general (I normally don’t put up any), but this is amazing and I would love to have it in my home. Unfortunately, I don’t think I have the patience to make one myself, because as much as you swear that it is easy, it looks pretty tedious and time-consuming to me! I will still bookmark it just in case I am feeling ambitions next year. I am curious to know how much all the supplies cost.

• 59 @femmmefatal // Dec 23, 2010 at 9:45 pm

so glad to come back to my old fav site and see such beauty. Much better than my dead tree in my living room and hits my mod look perfectly. Seems complicated but I’m going to do this next year, the most complicated seems the post it/measuring tape.

• 60 Merry Christmas // Dec 23, 2010 at 11:53 pm

[...] Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile (I want to build this next year but bigger) Rebar Christmas Tree (I’m staying away from large metal objects that act as skewers) [...]

• 61 Heather T. // Dec 24, 2010 at 1:21 am

What an amazing, novel, creative idea–and it looks fantastic!

• 62 Jacey // Dec 24, 2010 at 9:16 am

These are absolutely beautiful and SO creative. Like the others, I may try one for myself for next year. I really appreciate all the pictures and details that you included. Those are so very helpful. Merry Christmas !

• 63 Cidney // Dec 24, 2010 at 6:52 pm

That is amazing! I’m making one next year for sure :D

• 64 Links I’ve Liked – 12/24 « A Well-Armed Laura Ingalls Wilder // Dec 24, 2010 at 9:41 pm

[...] – A gorgeous Christmas tree mobile tutorial. [...]

• 65 Nicolas // Dec 25, 2010 at 12:48 am

Amazing idea! I didn’t have the hooks, so I replaced them with paper clips on both sides. Thanks for posting this! :D

• 66 Mary // Dec 25, 2010 at 5:58 am

This is brilliant! Thank you for the detailed instructions.

• 67 Helga Miller // Dec 25, 2010 at 12:48 pm

First of all Merry Christmas and congratulations you are amazing love this beautiful and creative Tree I am going to try it for sure next Xmas .

• 68 monday: best of last week | The Misadventures of Kelly and Kelly // Dec 27, 2010 at 6:03 am

[...] best of last week This Christmas tree ornament mobile is so [...]

• 69 Glenna // Dec 27, 2010 at 8:43 am

I absolutely love this idea! I wonder though… what are the plans for storing it for next year?

• 70 megan // Dec 27, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Glenna – It’ll be easier than it looks. All of the parts are connected using removable parts so I can store everything except for the ornaments flat. I’ll divide the monofilament threads by length and store each set in a marked envelope. The threads, chains, hooks and rack will all fit into a flat (pizza-like) box.

• 71 Lori // Dec 28, 2010 at 12:29 am

I am absolutely spellbound! I must have one of these next year, thank you for including a tutorial!

• 72 Five Recycled New Year’s Decorations – Crafting a Green World // Dec 28, 2010 at 12:36 am

[...] fell in love with Not Martha’s ornament tree mobile, but we didn’t really have a place to put something like that. Once the tree is packed away, [...]

• 73 mrscharlemagne // Dec 28, 2010 at 9:02 am

Hoorah! Thank you for designing such a marvelous and unique tree. I can see some of my childhood favorites tucked in among the balls next year.

• 74 Shannon // Dec 28, 2010 at 10:46 am

Love this idea!

• 75 Misty // Dec 28, 2010 at 10:12 pm

beautiful! what if you put a light to shine from underneath? i love your blog by the way!

• 76 How-To: Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile | lourdesgr01 // Dec 29, 2010 at 2:21 am

[...] though this gorgeous Christmas tree ornament mobile from Not Martha involves stringing up 100 ornaments at precise heights, Megan’s instructions [...]

• 77 megan // Dec 29, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Misty – We clustered a string of christmas lights beneath it and it created a nice glow and reflected in the bottom of the ornaments. That worked fairly well.

• 78 Yogi // Dec 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I love to create, so I just fell in love with this idea. Thanks for sharing!

• 79 How-To: Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile | lydiamark01 // Dec 29, 2010 at 3:05 pm

• 80 BrendaLea // Dec 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm

This is stunning and I will HAVE to make one for myself. Thanks for the great tute!

• 81 Shawn // Jan 1, 2011 at 11:25 am

Beautiful!

Suggestion: spray paint the grill white, then it will blend in with the ceiling better.

• 82 gee c. // Jan 1, 2011 at 1:09 pm

It was a wonderful and unique idea. Looked awesome, but too much worked involved. Kudos to you. Dont get me wrong, gonna try to make one next year.

• 83 How-To: Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile | lorraineda01 // Jan 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm

• 84 Too Late For Christmas… | candidmom.com // Jan 3, 2011 at 11:19 am

[...] New Year to all of you!!! I was blog hopping and I found a great blog – http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2010/12/21/christmas-tree-ornament-mobile-how-to/#more-8249 where she shared a DIY mobile Christmas [...]

• 85 Gina @ Temporary Nest // Jan 3, 2011 at 5:57 pm

omg. you are brilliant. I really think you are my new idol.

• 86 Nice // Jan 4, 2011 at 1:26 am

Thanks. I copied the instructions and you’re useful storage/other responses. Added them to OneNote w links to the FreshHomeBlog.com and the NortMartha.org site. Look forward trying it next year.

• 87 not martha — Christmas tree ornament mobile, how-to | 25 Wishes // Jan 4, 2011 at 8:54 pm

[...] posting this Christmas tree ornament mobile how-to from not martha now, because eleven months is about how long it would take me to pull it off. But, the results are [...]

• 88 The Motherload » Amy’s Notebook 01.05.10 // Jan 5, 2011 at 3:59 am

[...] Christmas tree ornament mobile is jaw-dropping (@ not [...]

• 89 Stephanie // Jan 6, 2011 at 4:39 pm

This is absolutely brilliant. I wish I saw it before Christmas.

• 90 Anne-Marie // Jan 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Just make sure it is short enough that your Kitties can’t get into it.

• 91 Friday Five 12.24.10 | The Aubergine Notebook // Jan 9, 2011 at 5:23 pm

[...] DIY Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile via Not Martha ~ Silver and Sage Holiday Interiors via Habitually Chic ~ Spicy Gingerbread Cookies [...]

• 92 Elisabetta // Jan 11, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Really amazing!!!

• 93 Carmie of the Single Nester // Jan 11, 2011 at 3:01 pm

How beautiful! I love it. But, I don’t know if I have the patience . . .

• 94 Crispy // Jan 16, 2011 at 7:34 am

WOW !!! I did not put up a tree for the past 2 years because the only place it can go is in my craft corner (and I refuse to give that up when I have 2 weeks holidays to craft !)… THIS is the perfect solution to our dilemma ! Wonderful idea ! Thank you so much !

• 95 Darice // Jan 23, 2011 at 3:53 pm

You make it look so simple…I’m almost not afraid to attempt this! ;-)

Thanks for the super instructions and photos.

• 96 amanda // Jan 28, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Very nicely done — thanks for the “how-to”!

• 97 TCM // Feb 3, 2011 at 1:32 am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW THAT MUST HAVE TAKEN AGES BUT ITS SO WORTH IT!!!!

• 98 Tanya Murray // Mar 9, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Very impressive and a thorough step-by-step, but you know what impresses me the most…you even gave a guide to the pitfalls and a thorough wrap up of what didn’t work, saving hours of agony for everyone else. Without clear guides like that many of us might have tried to improvise with other tools found it to our folly. So thank you from the bottom of my heart for the good, the bad and the ugly in your tutorial. As an un-crowned queen of Christmas I can’t see how I can possibly live without attempting this at least once. By the way I very much admire a woman who packs her Christmas with such dedication as well.

• 99 Danielle Williams // Mar 10, 2011 at 3:58 am

Amazingly similar to these giant hanging trees I have been making for Ferrero Rocher over the last three years
    Also have made easter egg versions

Well done

• 100 megan // Mar 10, 2011 at 9:54 am

Danielle – I’m so glad you wrote in, somebody send me an image of one of your Ferrero Rocher trees after seeing my Christmas tree but I was unable to track down who made it. The Ferrero tree is completely astounding. Do you have a website or more images of your work? I’d love to see it.

• 101 Danielle Williams // Mar 10, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Hi there, I am currently getting all my sites uploaded and networked, so I’ll send you a link when all done, if you like. Its nice that you are interested.
    I just found this YouTube video,
    I’d not seen this one before.
    My husband Nate flew over to England to install this one. We are Australian based.

There are a few other stop start vids on YouTube that are fun to watch. Just search ferrero trees and ferrero eggs

• 102 Rain « Adventures // Mar 11, 2011 at 3:34 am

[...] Christmas Tree [...]

• 103 Kelley // Mar 30, 2011 at 10:04 am

Oh wow, this is so cool! I totally want one of these next year.

• 104 Maria Trader // Jul 17, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Although this wouldn’t quite work in my space with my two small ones I think this is just beautiful!!

• 105 Nabs // Aug 6, 2011 at 12:35 am

one word: WOW! :) great job with the mobile & the blog :)

p.s: Awesome photography!

• 106 Mik // Sep 21, 2011 at 3:19 pm

You are a creative genius!

• 107 wen // Oct 6, 2011 at 6:29 am

what if there was a way to make this with light bulbs!! or colored light bulbs… :) http://www.amazon.com/Keystore-Limited-70800-Light-Decorative/dp/B000I08TI2

• 108 101 Handmade Holiday Tutorials // Oct 13, 2011 at 8:08 am

[...] Invisible Christmas Tree – Not Martha [...]

• 109 Kristina Abernathy // Oct 14, 2011 at 7:10 am

Absolutely gorgeous!

• 110 Alice // Oct 25, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I love this! I am planning a holiday party and hope to make this! I was thinking about adding snow flake ones, do you think that would work or would the weight distrabution be off?

• 111 megan // Oct 25, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Alice – not at all, the rack is suspended evenly from four points that are in from the edge so the weight should distribute evenly!

• 112 Alice // Oct 26, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I have one more question. Where did you get the wire? I can’t seem to find single strand wire.

• 113 megan // Oct 26, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Alice – I’m afraid I don’t quite remember, though it was most likely a hardware store like Ace instead of a craft store.

• 114 Shanon // Oct 27, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Little late here, but couldn’t you use those jewelry clasps? The ones with the hinges? It might be slightly harder to move around, but not as tough as earring ones…

• 115 megan // Oct 27, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Shanon – I considered those when I was looking at hardware options but ultimately I felt they looked too bulky, or not as tidy as a wire option. This, of course, meant I spent more time hanging ornaments but I think the lesser visual impact helped give the thing a feeling of weightlessness, especially when I used the glass bulbs. Also, since the clips are silver I wanted to avoid there being too much of a clash when I used gold-topped ornaments.

I did see that this year Crate & Barrel offers a suspended ornament chandelier that uses those clips. It’s meant to also hold holiday cards which work really well with the clips!

• 116 Kelly W // Nov 2, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I have made what I call a bubble chandelier that is very similar to this and I found out that you don’t actually need the silver (or sometimes gold) cap on the ornaments. You can remove the cap from little springy thing that clips inside the ornament and just use that. It cuts down on the visual clutter. Also for this project I would attach the string directly to the springy thing and just remove that from the ornament to store or move around. All of that, I feel, would help with a cleaner look and have more of a visual impact. I just love this. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

• 117 Melinda // Nov 6, 2011 at 7:00 am

Can you show how you hung this from the ceiling? I used to hang ornaments from my ceiling with clear 3M hooks but they ended up ripping the drywall off. :( I’d love to do this instead.

• 118 megan // Nov 6, 2011 at 11:27 am

Melinda – We just screwed a ceiling hook directly into the drywall. It had stayed sturdy and held up to us doing three sets of Xmas ornaments last year. I bought it at a hardware store, it’s nothing fancy.

• 119 Sunshine // Nov 6, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Im so happy I found this I seen it on a comercial and searched and searched,and Im so lucky I came across this.they are beautiful and I cant wait to get mine started

• 120 5 Ways To Treat Yourself | Gemvara Blog // Nov 9, 2011 at 9:49 am

[...] Although it may be more convenient to run down to the nearest mall and pick out all your holiday decorations in one fell swoop, we think that adding a special, personalized touch is a great way to make you and your guests feel special. Not to mention, all those compliments you’ll receive on your hard work are sure to put a smile on your face. Try these creative DIY tips for a knockout thanksgiving centerpiece or this amazing tutorial on a Christmas tree ornament mobile. [...]

• 121 Julie Lukens // Nov 9, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Megan – Have you made a bigger one yet? I’m trying to decide if I should make this one how you did or go for a taller one. Would I just add to the lengths of the string you outlined above if I wanted to make it taller?

• 122 Crystal // Nov 10, 2011 at 9:02 am

This is absolutely fantastic! I’m going to try it!

• 123 Kathleen // Nov 10, 2011 at 11:59 am

Wow – so impressed. I was think I would like a mini of this with mini ornaments to somehow give as gifts… I am amazed!

• 124 Kelly // Nov 12, 2011 at 10:00 am

Thinking of making one of these but I want to incorporate some sort of lighting. Megan, any ideas?

• 125 megan // Nov 14, 2011 at 10:10 am

Kelly – I am certainly thinking about that. The best I could do that keeps up the floating effect would be to have battery powered LED lights inside individual ornaments or at the bottom of each line. Or maybe use a very delicate light string, like this one from Restoration Hardware:

• 126 lentina // Nov 16, 2011 at 1:47 am

This is so awesome! I love your crafts! I came here because of your dahlia pin and found this!!!! Too bad I don’t have the patience (esp not with a curious 2.5 yr old hovering around me all the time)! But I LOVE it!!

• 127 Heather // Nov 20, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Did anybody with kids do one of these? Seems it might get tangled, but this is still the best alternative I’ve seen.
    I’m trying to avoid a plastic tree, but I have three young kids and still need something magical. Ideas anyone?

• 128 Jane Smythe // Nov 22, 2011 at 9:07 am

I tried to make this, but it was a complete failure :(. I guess I am not talented enough. The lines kept tangling and tangling and tangling, and finally I gave up in frustration. I’m disappointed because it is such a COOL idea.

• 129 sue // Nov 23, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I just love your Christmas tree. I saw a Christmas decoration at Bronners that is along these lines, if I send you a picture of it is there any way you could give me some ideas on how to make it? Thanks for your help. Sue

• 130 Lindsey // Nov 26, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Yesterday I made my own ornament mobile – it turned out wonderful! The hardest part was finding a steamer rack. I had to settle for a 10” cake cooling rack, but it worked (just a bit smaller). Thank you for sharing your instructions!

• 131 megan // Nov 27, 2011 at 10:02 am

Heather – I’m afraid it would tangle with kids. Have you seen the Crate & Barrel hanging thing that came out this year? It’s not tree shaped but it’s about the size of a chandelier and would stay nice and far off the floor.

Jane – Oh no! I admit it did take a bit of patience to untangle things when needed and I learned to make sure I built it up in stages and keep all the clear lines separated so they wouldn’t knot up.

• 132 Hanna B // Nov 28, 2011 at 12:26 am

I’m making one of these pretty much following your method and as I got towards the end, there were fewer ornaments than I was expecting… At first I thought my club pack of 100 ornaments wasn’t a true 100 pack, but then I added up the numbers you said were in each ring and it came to 103? Luckily, I found it early enough to adjust the sections a bit. It looks super cool, so glad I was able to do it!

• 133 Kate // Nov 29, 2011 at 9:12 am

Love this idea! I included it on my top 10 list of handmade Christmas decor at http://www.cheapcraftymama.com. Feel free to stop by and grab a button or link to show that you have been featured!
    Thanks!

• 134 Erin // Nov 29, 2011 at 6:38 pm

FOUND A LITTLE BIT EASIER WAY….
    My mother in law and I did one too. Here is a picture of the finished and the process.

We had to improvise because I couldn’t get a steamer rack in time when we had it planned to make it. So we used a splatter screen and didn’t use the lanyard hooks as much. Just put them through the top with the crimper beads. We also did all the ornaments on the line and then just shoved them through. It made it really easy to change the lengths when we had one that was wrong. We didn’t measure anything either. We just eyed them all and changed them if we needed to. Its not picture perfect but ended up taking just a couple of hours. But for sure will need two people. That made it go WAY fast!

• 135 megan // Nov 29, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Erin – I love it!

• 136 Jake Johnson // Nov 30, 2011 at 9:35 am

Wow, this is great!

• 137 Terri // Nov 30, 2011 at 10:25 am

Have you considered trying to market this as a package for us people with no patience for things like math so that we can hang and go (so to speak)??

• 138 Lulu // Nov 30, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Super Super I can’t wait to tackle this project. Yes Terri has a very good suggestion, you should scoop up this oppertunity.
    Love your Blog

• 139 Floating Tree DIY | The New Home Ec // Nov 30, 2011 at 9:50 pm

[...] how to make your own Floating Ornament Tree at Not Martha. [...]

• 140 Rebecca // Dec 1, 2011 at 7:13 am

This is Beautiful!!! Love the look. Thinking of trying. Great job

• 141 Karah @ thespacebetweenblog // Dec 1, 2011 at 10:23 am

What a beautiful idea! Love it!

• 142 Marsha // Dec 2, 2011 at 5:25 am

I just saw this on Pinterest!! Oh my incredible! I love the idea of making something similar for other holidays.

• 143 Cathy // Dec 2, 2011 at 7:32 am

Love this! I was so inspired, that I tried my hand at this and this is how it turned out https://picasaweb.google.com/105323997937459782335/ScrapbookPhotos#
    I made mine larger, with the longest line measuring 78″, also I added one ring and one ornament to each ring. Making my ornament count 144. I also used a piece of plexiglass as the topper and lit it from above with LED lights.
    We love it.
    Thank you for the concept.

• 144 Lisa // Dec 3, 2011 at 11:50 am

Awesome idea Megan. I saw something similar on a Home Depot commercial yesterday (hanging from a dining room light) and was searching on that when I came across your blog. Then I ran out and frantically grabbed supplies. I’m in the middle of putting it together now and it looks great. I’m using clear, clear with white glitter swirls, white and silver balls. The only thing I’m doing differently is hanging the hooks directly from the steamer rack instead of using lanyard hooks. Cleaner and more flexible for placement. I’m also making it 6′ tall. For those getting their wires tangled… I’m hanging it all one ball at a time and haven’t had a tangled wire problem yet! Thanks so much! It’s gorgeous.

• 145 megan // Dec 3, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Lisa – Thanks for letting me know about it!

Thanks so much to everybody who is writing in with variations and changes, they are all so helpful and I’m tickled that you took on the hanging tree!

• 146 tr may // Dec 3, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Delightful idea! I’m jealous! Why didn’t I think of that!
    Only wish it wasn’t so much WORK!

• 147 Sue C // Dec 3, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Love, love, love this! It’s like a giant 3D puzzle that I’m having such fun creating! Thank you for taking the time and effort to share this :) x

• 148 Jessica // Dec 4, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I’m so glad I found this on pintrest! I just saw the new Home Depot commercial where they made a similar tree hanging from a chandelier. We definitely don’t have a chandelier, so this is perfect. Thanks!
    I’ll be making it part of my 12 Days of Christmas series!

• 149 Samantha // Dec 5, 2011 at 5:43 am

I had such a hard time trying to find a steamer rack – there are no restaurant supply stores around here. I’m settling on using an 18″ pizza screen instead. So far, so good! Thanks so much for the instructions! They’re really great!

• 150 A Mom's Year » Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile // Dec 8, 2011 at 9:40 am

[...] think this hanging Christmas tree mobile is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. Megan at not martha swears it’s easy to [...]

• 151 In Black & White // Dec 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Thank you so much for these instructions! I’m going to look out for ornaments in the sale this year so I can have a dog-friendly Christmas tree next year. I’m going to hang it over my (round) kitchen table and I can put presents under the tree without them being so dog-accessible.

• 152 Sarah W // Dec 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm

This was a wonderful idea and your instructions proved invaluable. We created a 7 1/2 ft. version of this to hang in a huge Christmas decorating project at our church. The hardest part was finding a rack or something to use with a 30″ diameter. So we ended up making one using two pieces of metal strips (yardstick like) from the hardware store and bending and bolting them together and then bending a heavy duty mesh across the top so I could have my grid. We ended up hanging 250 ornaments in 10 concentric circles and hanging a light over the top. https://picasaweb.google.com/108461797797209213079/December8201102 Thanks again!

• 153 Michelle // Dec 8, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Thanks for the idea! We just made one for our home. It took longer than we expected (about 40 hours in total) but it looks very nice.

I have a question about storing them though… Those strings are super easy to get tangled. How did you store the same length in an envelop without getting them tangled?

Thanks again!

• 154 megan // Dec 9, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Michelle – I lined them up and curled them as a group into a round shape to fit into the envelope and I’ll untangle them when I get them back out :)

• 155 judy // Dec 11, 2011 at 10:19 am

wow amazing

• 156 Manu // Dec 12, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Hello Megan!
    Thanks so much for your tutorial! Your tree is amazing!
    When I saw it .. my eyes began to shine .. and I told myself .. this will be my Christmas tree!
    And ‘perfect .. because I have a baby of 18 months .. and so he did not destroy! =^__^=
    If you want to see how it’s become my tree .. This is the link http://manu-artecuore.blogspot.com/2011/12/ispirazione-natalizia.html

Hugs from Italy
    Manu

• 157 Brittany // Dec 13, 2011 at 11:52 am

Megan,

I saw this post last January, which was of course too late for a tree, but vowed that I would put one together this year. It took us about four hours last night and we couldn’t find lanyard clips so we used paperclips instead – they may have been a little trickier, but they look really clean. I love it so much! I posted two pictures if you’d like to see:

Thanks for this inspiration!

• 158 Angelwaits // Dec 13, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Am absolutely thrilled to find this. No one is selling live/cut trees, have never had a fake one. Wanted to do this but had no idea how to design.
    And it looks gorgeous in yr photos. Am thinking of recruiting neighbor kid(s) to keep me company.
    I’ve got scads of ornaments and no place other to put them. !!!
    Thanks

• 159 harrysdesk // Dec 13, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I love this idea.

I have included it in a big list of tutorials for wrapping and decorating. You can see it here….
    … if you like.

Thanks for sharing!!…and for your beautiful blog.
    Ally on harrysdesk.

• 160 Kat S // Dec 14, 2011 at 10:41 am

My husband found this page after Christmas last year, and I vowed to make this tree the following Christmas. I followed your extremely clear instructions with a few minor changes (smaller balls as we had a smaller space) and now we have a fabulous tree!
    Thank you SO much!!!

• 161 Anthony Macaluso // Dec 14, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I am looking to try and tackle this task tonight, I am going to try and see if I can find the balls for cheap enough considering the amount required but am looking forward to the end result, I am thinking of adding lights somehow, we will see

• 162 Brooke // Dec 14, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I saw this on a commercial and though it would be fun to make. I googled it and only expected a picture but you gave me EVERYTHING I needed :)! I made one and I LOVE it! Thank you so much for taking the time to put your wonderful idea and pictures on the internet :). I enjoy my tree daily!

• 163 Lightleaf Studio // Dec 15, 2011 at 12:27 am

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful original idea. Great tut.

• 164 Robin // Dec 16, 2011 at 11:50 am

Want to know how hard I looked for instructions just like these online? Hard. Very hard. Thanks so much for the details, the pictures, and for just posting a how-to about it! Awesome.

• 165 Peter // Dec 19, 2011 at 10:09 am

Maybe your idea was stolen by the Italian, Maurizio Cattelan. Look at his exhibition in Guggenheim Museum , NYC. Googel for ‘guggenheim catalan’ in the image section.

• 166 gailllc // Dec 24, 2011 at 10:15 am

You could camouflage the rack and other hardware with some sheer ribbon looped in and out around the edges of the rack and then up to the hanging point. Silver/white would cover it up without stealing the show. Lovely project!

• 167 Ela // Dec 25, 2011 at 8:08 am

Thanks so much for your tutorial! This was the first time we celebrated Christmas at our home and not at my parents’, and so I needed a tree. Because my husband reacts allergic to every kind of plant and the cat eats everything that’s green ;) your tree was the ideal solution. Took me some time, but it turned out really really nice. I’m really happy and proud about it, and my parents loved it, too :) So thanks a lot for describing everything so clearly!

If you want to have a look, here are some pictures:

• 168 Karen // Dec 26, 2011 at 5:26 pm

My Hubby made this for me and it is beautiful!!!! however each strand of filament needs to be kept separate or gets sooooo tangled you do not want to get it out again:) I think it would be worth it though:)

• 169 Amy // Dec 28, 2011 at 10:51 pm

How do you store this to not get tangled?

• 170 Fran // Jan 1, 2012 at 9:35 am

I have a bunch of unusual ornaments from Pier One.
    I am going to make 2 mobiles out of them with your directions to leave up year round!
    Thanks

• 171 TXMess // Jan 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm

This is the most wonderful Christmas decoration I have ever seen! Love, love, love it! Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial, only wish I’d found it before Christmas!

• 172 Toni // Jan 12, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I love beautiful things and this is definately one! I don’t know how to follow instructions, so….do you make them and can I buy one? Please email me.

• 173 Jody // May 9, 2012 at 7:20 am

I saw this idea in a Christmas ad on tv this past year and decided to try it. I wanted it to hang over my dining room table as a sort of centerpiece and tried to hang the ornaments from the ceiling fan and lights … it worked but was very timeconsuming and difficult. This way looks much easier … thanks for sharing.

• 174 Why You Should Let Your Kids Make Their Own Christmas Decorations | Christmas Decorations // Jun 22, 2012 at 12:11 am

[...] Homemade Christmas decorationsWhy You Should Get Your Christmas Decorations Earlynot martha — Christmas tree ornament mobile, how-tofunction [...]

• 175 thebeadden // Jul 19, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Do you mind if I post that picture with a link to your tutorial and website? It is such an awesome project!

• 176 megan // Jul 20, 2012 at 2:59 pm

thebeadden – As long as you link back here I’m happy to let you use a photo. Thanks so much for asking!

• 177 Julie // Aug 21, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I just saw a related idea. What they did on the underside of the grill was closely attach tiny silver balls. It hid the underside of the grill and was so pretty. Another idea for the tiny balls is to use tiny mirrored balls to reflect the light.

• 178 Ombre Glass Ornaments | { Ambrosia Creative } // Aug 23, 2012 at 2:06 pm

[...] from a tree branch suspended from the ceiling. Would be a labor of love and cursings, but this tree mobile by Not Martha would be an awesome application [...]

• 179 elsa // Sep 5, 2012 at 6:38 pm

es muy bonito pero no puede poner las medidas en centimetros porfis!!

• 180 Lovethisstuff // Sep 23, 2012 at 8:27 am

Awesome design. I made one last christmas using plexiglass as a base. Hung it in my kitchen skylite. I drilled holes, strung lines thru, and held with clear plastic beads slightly larger than hole. For storing, I gathered small bundles of line thru top, keeping ornaments attached, but close to base so less tangling. Haven’t checked on it since last christmas, so we’ll see. I’m thinking of making another, only this time my base (wire rack) will be an acrylic faux crystal party platter from thrift store.

• 181 Christmas Tree « crazinessensues // Oct 12, 2012 at 6:23 am

[...] to get it done for our Christmas in July party.  Megan was amazingly generous on her blog Not Martha, sharing the details on how she did it.  I put my husband in charge and I was his [...]

• 182 Christmas is 2 months away. Hey! Don’t shoot the messenger! | Flashinghands // Oct 27, 2012 at 12:41 am

[...] Invisible Christmas tree. Yes, it got my curiosity peaked too! http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2010/12/21/christmas-tree-ornament-mobile-how-to/ [...]

• 183 Shunty Lou // Oct 29, 2012 at 1:30 am

This is really the Christmas tree I want this year..thanks a lot for sharing.. I hope I can pull all the supplies needed.. Happy Holidays!!!

• 184 marilynr // Oct 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I made this last year, and we loved it.

To hang the tree, my husband used the heat exchange in the ceiling. He loosened a screw on one side, then twisted wire from the top of the tree around it. He then carefully tightened that screw enough to hold the tree, but not so much it would strip out the threads on the screw.

After Christmas, it was easy to loosen the screw enough to untwist the wire and remove the tree. Later, he put the screw back in the heat exchange.

However, to store the tree, we took a very big and deep box, first packing it with some padding in the bottom. My husband then lowered the tree, totally intact, into the box. We added some more loose packing to the top and sides, and sealed the box. That box has been sitting in storage, and we have taken pains to not jostle it around.

This year, my DH will open the box, and carefully lift the tree from the box. We have our fingers crossed that it will only need some minor untangling.

• 185 Katrina // Oct 31, 2012 at 6:56 am

Hello!

I LOVE this idea, it is beautiful Megan! My hubby and I are going to attempt to make this for Christmas. Our only hiccup is we don’t want to drill a whole is our (gorgeous..) popcorn ceiling. Do you or anyone else here know of a good adhesive product that would be strong enough to hold onto the tree as well as stick to the ceiling??

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!

• 186 DIY Christmas Trees: A Pop-up Tree Alternative | Whatsername Jewelry // Nov 8, 2012 at 1:02 pm

[...] I wouldn’t do for the ceilings to re-create this masterpiece. This ornament mobile by Not Martha may seem a little daunting at first, but the directions are super-simple. A fabulous DIY that I [...]

• 187 Oma // Nov 9, 2012 at 11:46 am

You should them… I would sooooo buy a red and clear one( two colors on one tree)

• 188 Het kerstboomdilemma « Mijn microcosmos // Nov 16, 2012 at 9:27 am

[...] 2 : de kerstballenboom. Hier is een link naar de tutorial. De dame in kwestie zegt dat het makkelijker is dan het eruit ziet. Je kan deze [...]

• 189 Julie // Nov 23, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I just made one of these using hand blown glass balls and snowflakes. We put 3 push button spotlights under it on a half round table. The shadows on the ceiling are just as awesome as the tree itself! We also set up a nativity set on the table under the tree. The whole effect is spectacular! We didn’t use any particular order or specific lengths of fishing line, but it still has that tree silhouette. Thank you for the idea! Oh, and it took 65 of these 4″ glass balls. We figured the retail price of the tree at $1200.00! Thank goodness the artisan sold them to us for much, much less.

• 190 Julie // Nov 23, 2012 at 6:40 pm

• 191 Megan // Nov 26, 2012 at 11:31 am

We’re going to put one of these up in our office but are wondering how to stop it from swaying in the air exchanger breeze. Any ideas?

• 192 megan // Nov 26, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Megan – I’m afraid I don’t have any way to help you there other than suggest you use heavy ornaments, and even then they will tangle if it’s in a spot that people will be walking past often. Good luck!

• 193 María Teresa // Nov 27, 2012 at 8:05 am

I have problem to buy the “steamer rack”. I think it doesn’t exist in my country and I don’t have another thing to replace it. Any idea ?

• 194 megan // Nov 28, 2012 at 10:31 am

Maria – I responded to your question on Twitter but wanted to put it here as well. Maybe poking holes in some very stiff foam core board? Or using a wreath form and using wire to create suspension points in the middle. Best of luck!

• 195 Handmade Christmas Decor– Create and Share! // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:45 pm

[...] Charming Zebra,  Glittered Starburst from Her Beautiful Mess,  Snowflake Pillows by Noodlehead,  Invisible Christmas Tree by Not Martha,  Snowy Wine Bottles by Cleverly Inspire,  Ribbon Trees from Uncommon [...]

• 196 Nicole // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Just breathtakingly beautiful.

• 197 Millie // Dec 5, 2012 at 6:38 am

Hi ! I’ve made my own one ! Thank you so much for all the instructions ! Mine is a little bit more smaller and thiner (i live in a small apartment), it’s white, gold and silver and it has a star on the top.
    (i’m french, exscuse my english)
    Millie

• 198 Millie // Dec 5, 2012 at 6:39 am

Oh, i forgot the picture : http://twitpic.com/bja1db

• 199 Milagros // Dec 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Do you think monofilament fishing line would work okay too?

• 200 Rosanna // Dec 6, 2012 at 9:45 am

Oh, how I wish we could hang things from our ceiling :( This is so lovely <3

• 201 megan // Dec 6, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Milagros – I looked at fishing line and thought it would be too strong and therefore not fall straight. The ornaments don’t offer much weight to pull the string taught. That said, it was a few years ago so my memory is hazy, if fishing line comes in a light enough weight it would work great.

• 202 Maggie // Dec 6, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Apreciate your instructions and tutorial. You’re so creative! Love the tree; will do something similar with wreaths outside;-) Thanks for sharing!

• 203 mm // Dec 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Did this last year on a 15ft ceiling, unbelievable, everyone came to see it, a work of art. You are a genius!!!! I am once again making your remarkable mobile tree this year, alot of work and wine while we do it but people want to see it again.
    Merry Xmas!!!!!

• 204 Con Tus Manos: Más Arboles Navideños Reciclados | Espacio Sustentable - Energias Renovables - Vida Sutentable - Casas Sustentables - Reciclado // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:18 am

[...] de bolas navideñas con forma de árbol y un cono forrado con piñas. La primera idea la vimos en Not Martha, donde se muestra todo el proceso de creación del móvil paso a paso, y la segunda en [...]

• 205 Lio // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:26 am

Amazing!!! I love the creativity. I’m going to make, hopefully it will come just like yours.

Merry Xmas!!!

• 206 nico // Dec 9, 2012 at 2:07 am

Brava Megan!

• 207 Ashley // Dec 14, 2012 at 1:54 am

… 8-O … this is the most tedious, time consuming, test of patience and back breaking project I have ever endured BUT IT IS LOOKING SOO AWESOME!! I am almost done and am so glad I decided to make one. I will post pics on my website once it is done. Thank you for the great tutorial!

• 208 Danielle // Dec 16, 2012 at 10:38 am

Love this tree! We live in the Caribbean and don’t like the idea of a fake “tree”, so we found this idea last year and my wonderfully patient husband helped me create it. We couldn’t find green balls so we ended up with a red tree with a white top ball. Both years we have used fishing line, and this year we even found red fishing line. Will have to find another idea for next year though, as I don’t think my husbands patience will extend to a 3rd year :-)

• 209 Margaret // Dec 19, 2012 at 4:28 am

Absolutely brilliant. Your brain is truly an awesome entity. Thank you for generously sharing it with us all. :)
    Merry Christmas.

• 210 Manu // Dec 20, 2012 at 9:04 am

This year I made a new version!!! I like it!!!

• 211 Zoe (Splodz) // Dec 21, 2012 at 3:00 am

Oh wow this is fabulous. My head hurts with the thought of all the maths involved! But brilliant, I need this in my house this Christmas!

• 212 Thomas // Jan 15, 2013 at 11:10 am

Does the length of the string measure from the top crimp to the bottom crimp?

• 213 megan // Jan 15, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Thomas – No, actually. I cut the string to the length measured and turned up the ends to crimp them an create loops. I figured that the inaccuracy in the grouped lengths would look organic rather than messy, and that inaccuracy allowed a bit of flexibility in what was hung where.

• 214 Saulius // Jan 17, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Inspired your idea, I have build one for myself :) http://lukse.lt/uzrasai/2012-12-improvizuota-kaledine-eglute/

• 215 Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree // Jan 25, 2013 at 12:58 am

[...] Here are a few to share and you can find more of the ones I pinned on my Holiday board.Source: notmartha.org via Staci on Pinterest Source: blog.southernjewlz.com via Staci on Pinterest Source: [...]

• 216 Cindi Gentry // Mar 7, 2013 at 1:11 pm

My dear, dear woman. I have searched for two days solid for ideas of what to use as a base for a Christmas chandelier. When I was about to give up, I found this!!!!

Great tips! Thank you!
    Cindi Gentry
    Wichita, KS

• 217 Vanessa Clark // Oct 3, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Just solved my Christmas with Kittens! dilemma. Thanks for your easy to follow instructions.

• 218 29 Creative And Unusual DIY Christmas Tree Ideas | // Oct 25, 2013 at 10:51 am

[...] source [...]

• 219 Suspended Ornament Christmas Tree | DIY Cozy Home // Nov 6, 2013 at 9:25 am

[...] NotMartha – Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile [...]

• 220 Ramon // Nov 6, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I love this idea for my apartment. I just love christmas lights and i cant find a way to incorporate them with your idea without it looking like a mess. i thought about using flameless tealights but they would just look weird hanging and the battery wouldn’t last very long. any tips on what might work?

• 221 Suspended Ornament Christmas Tree - I Love DIY // Nov 8, 2013 at 1:23 am

[...] NotMartha – Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile [...]

• 222 Ellen Lambert // Nov 8, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I want to do it…but…all I see is an algebra problem waiting to be failed…

• 223 Wanda // Nov 12, 2013 at 8:43 am

Amazing!!!!

• 224 gaby // Nov 13, 2013 at 3:37 am

Eigendlich muß man nur die Kugeln wegräumen und dann andre Dinge auf hängen wie Schmetterlinge Vögel usw Lg

• 225 Making a Christmas Tree: It Begins… | Seditious Joy // Nov 13, 2013 at 12:19 pm

[...] Suspended Ornament Tree [...]

• 226 Faça você mesmo: Árvores de Natal estilosas | {Cozinha deK} // Nov 16, 2013 at 8:29 am

[...] ser usadas como decoração para a mesa da ceia. Da direita para a esquerda:  1. Curbly; 2. Not Martha; 3. Little birdie secrets Da direita para a esquerda: 4. Family chic; 5. Allsorts I; 6. Allsorts [...]

• 227 DIY : Un sapin de Noël sans sapin | Le Meilleur du DIY // Nov 16, 2013 at 1:11 pm

[...] J’ai trouvé ce DIY sur ce joli site : http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2010/12/21/christmas-tree-ornament-mobile-how-to/ [...]

• 228 Create and Share - Handmade Christmas Decor - Happy-Go-Lucky // Nov 17, 2013 at 4:24 pm

[...] Charming Zebra,  Glittered Starburst from Her Beautiful Mess,  Snowflake Pillows by Noodlehead,  Invisible Christmas Tree by Not Martha,  Snowy Wine Bottles by Cleverly Inspire,  Ribbon Trees from Uncommon Designs Now [...]

• 229 Nora-Lyn // Nov 17, 2013 at 11:58 pm

They have small round LEDs at Michaels about an inch or so and you could hang them in between the other ornaments as they twist on and off. I have hung leds from the inside lid of colored bottles for Halloween and it looks fantastic in the fogged look ones.

• 230 DIY Christmas Decorations - Mommy Levy // Nov 18, 2013 at 1:10 am

[...] Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile by: NotMartha – Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile [...]

• 231 Creative DIY Christmas Tree | mocochocodotcom // Nov 19, 2013 at 2:41 pm

[...] for the how-to visit: notmartha [...]

• 232 Malerie // Nov 20, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Hi,

I’m hoping to recreate this this year, will 1.5″ ornaments work? How big are the green ones in your photos?

Thank you!!

• 233 Carletta // Nov 20, 2013 at 11:58 pm

This is an amazing and creative idea. It’s not to complicated. Thank you for sharing and have a Merry Christmas.

• 234 cindy // Nov 23, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Thank you! your tutorial is exquisite! I love the fact that you not only explain how but WHY you do things…this makes it sooo much easier to understand!! my first visit to your blog, I think I’ll look around some more!! ;-)

• 235 Unique Party Ideas from Bellenza | Alternative Christmas Trees from Interesting to Unusual // Nov 25, 2013 at 7:36 am

[...] Ornament Mobile Christmas Tree – Not Martha has a step-by-step guide on how to create this ornament mobile Christmas tree. We found the idea of [...]

• 236 Ornament Christmas Tree | Creative Home Ideas // Nov 29, 2013 at 5:02 pm

[...] patio porch. I also knew that I did not want the tradition standing tree. I came across an idea to make a Christmas tree from ornament bulbs and hang it from a center point on the porch. I picked out my bulbs, string and a center point. I [...]

• 237 Crear un Original Árbol de Bolas para esta Navidad | Uxban // Dec 1, 2013 at 10:39 pm

[...] habilidad y paciencia para su elaboración. Para ello, se pueden ver las instrucciones en este blog de dónde hemos extraído esta genial y brillante idea.  Share Esta entrada se publicó en [...]

• 238 2nd Day of DIY Christmas: Trees | Sioux Falls Wedding & Event Flowers - Bella Rosa Floral Design // Dec 5, 2013 at 2:32 pm

[...] Christmas Trees 5 Pinecone Trees 6. Acorn Trees 7. Twig Trees 8. Felt Trees 9. Ribbon Trees 10. Ornament Trees 11. Mercury Glass Trees 12. Boxwood [...]

• 239 14 Alternative Christmas Trees | Mum's Grapevine // Dec 9, 2013 at 3:20 pm

[...] beautiful ornament mobile idea from Not Martha is part christmas tree, part art installation. Hang it high and you won’t have to worry about [...]

• 240 14 cool Christmas tree alternatives | My Website // Dec 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm

[...] beautiful ornament mobile idea from Not Martha is part christmas tree, part art installation. Hang it high and you won’t have to worry about [...]

• 241 Merriah // Dec 10, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I’ve started making this and just love it! One of the ideas we are using is to tie a small jump ring on the end instead of using the crimps. It has been easier to measure and WAY easier to untangle (thank you husband!)
    Thanks for posting such a fabulous idea and I wish you a very happy holiday!

• 242 Debbie // Dec 12, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Thanks so much for making my dining room look fantastic! I was thinking and thinking what to do that was different and sophisticated, exciting and stunning! You nailed it!! I am so going to do this for Christmas next year ~ thanks to you my house will be the talk of the circle!

Thanks for all your hard work too with making it and then giving us the easy bit (we don’t have to work out anything – all done already)

Took a long time to get to my pc but so glad it got here! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Thanks again!
    Regards

Debbie

• 243 Diy de noël : créer des boules de noël | Lady doigts de fée // Dec 13, 2013 at 5:02 am

[...] année, j’avais envie d’un sapin suspendu … oui, je vois la question arriver "c’est quoi un sapin suspendu ?" et bien [...]

• 244 Minetta Minnick // Dec 13, 2013 at 7:08 am

Brilliant! I love this idea!!! Thank you for sharing.

Minetta Minnick

• 245 Jenny // Dec 15, 2013 at 8:44 am

Thanks for the idea, we’ve blogged about our version here: http://the-urban-cottage.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/a-special-christmas-tree.html

• 246 Árbol de Navidad suspendido en el aire. DIY | El Atlas de las Nubes // Dec 15, 2013 at 1:24 pm

[...] sí, leíste bien, vamos a ver un árbol de Navidad tipo móvil. Lo he visto en este blog donde podrán ver un amplísimo tutorial del paso a paso para construirlo y aunque necesitas maña [...]

• 247 Christmas Decoration Ideas - Part 1 |Livinghouse Blog | Interior Design Ideas // Dec 16, 2013 at 7:37 am

[...] your feeling up to the task, here’s how it was made, courtesy of Not [...]

• 248 29 Sapins de noël insolites | imediabuzzy // Dec 16, 2013 at 3:30 pm

[...] source PARTAGER Articles récents auteur benjaminS Ajouter un commentaire [...]

• 249 Árbol de Navidad con ornamentos móviles | Decoracionia.net // Dec 17, 2013 at 4:45 pm

[...] una original y hermosa idea, recogida del sitio web not Martha, que puede ejecutarse básicamente con pequeños ganchos, monofilamentos para joyería, una base [...]

• 250 On The Fifth Day of Christmas, A Handmade Tree | // Dec 18, 2013 at 1:06 am

[...] amazing tree was found on the blog Not Martha and it’s by far my favorite idea for an alternative Christmas [...]

• 251 DIY Day | Christmas Tree Alternatives | Lime & Design // Dec 20, 2013 at 11:07 am

[...] {3} Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile [...]

• 252 Maak je eigen kerstboom - vijf ideeën - | UrbanChicks // Dec 20, 2013 at 1:47 pm

[...] De boom, de foto en de handleiding zijn van Megan uit Seattle. [...]

• 253 10 sugestii traznite pentru bradul de Craciun, pe care le poti face singur // Dec 22, 2013 at 11:00 pm

[...] Daca vrei sa iti creezi singur un astfel de brad, gasesti aici instructiunile. [...]

• 254 auguri | Cinciamogia // Dec 23, 2013 at 10:17 am

[...] http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2010/12/21/christmas-tree-ornament-mobile-how-to/ [...]

• 255 Tweet: This is a neat idea. Simple. http://t.co/mdpePz6ku… | David Rickard // Dec 23, 2013 at 12:57 pm

[...] is a neat idea. Simple. notmartha.org/archives/2010/… This entry was posted in Tweets by dave. Bookmark the [...]

• 256 świątecznie – alternatywa na choinkę | Polskie Rękodzieło // Dec 30, 2013 at 2:07 am

[...] ze światełek genialna choinka ze sznurka choinka z bombek papierowa choinka choinka z książek albo taka Szykujecie już swoje domy na [...]

• 257 Natalia Blanco // Apr 13, 2014 at 11:09 am

Great tutorial. Christmas tree gorgeous. Thank you.

• 258 Paisley & Perspecitive -- A Design & Lifestyle Blog // May 20, 2014 at 5:47 pm

[...] notmartha.org via Donna on [...]

• 259 Gita // May 21, 2014 at 7:38 am

Megan, thank you for such detailed instructions and helpful photos. I’m so grateful for creative and generous people like yourself.

• 260 Pam Thompson // Jun 29, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I saw this done in silver, white with sea shells and star fish painted white or silver… It was breathtaking… Do you think spray painting the top hooks and the steamer rack the color of the ceiling would reduce the clutter…???

• 261 Patti // Sep 9, 2014 at 9:57 am

I do love that tree. I don’t think I could of figured out the math! You did such an excellent job! Kudos!!

• 262 Pam // Sep 9, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Need to figure out how do make this in a 17 foot version for my two-story family room. Suggestions?

• 263 megan // Sep 10, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Pam – I admire your scale! My best advice is to find a place that sells store display fixtures and find a large gridded wire panel, or set of panels. It’ll be square but you can create the round shape by hanging ornaments from certain points. And good luck!