Christmas tree ornament mobile

the views of a tree shaped ornament mobile

This year we decided to do something a little different with our tree and I created this Christmas tree mobile consisting of ornaments suspended on clear threads.

When I was shopping for ornaments to use found a lot on sale and went a little crazy. I decided it would be worth it to see how three different options would look. I did a variety of silver ornaments that came as a boxed set, green ornaments with three different textures and three sizes of clear glass ornaments that look a bit like bubbles.

the mobile hanging in our dining room window

Here is the mobile in context of our dining room (please forgive the mid-present wrapping clutter). We have room to put presents below it, and are still able to peek out the windows to see if the neighbor’s cat is visiting our front porch.

rings of green ornaments, as viewed from below

The view from below.

a detail of monofilament lines holding ornaments

The ornaments are hung on regular ornament hooks attached to jewelry monofilament secured with crimp beads. I’ll put up details of how the mobile was created tomorrow. Instructions on how I made it are right over here.

· comments [167] · 12-20-2010 · categories:christmas · craft ·

• 1 Michelle // Dec 20, 2010 at 3:22 am

What a brilliant idea! very clever …

• 2 Erin // Dec 20, 2010 at 3:42 am

Absolutely stunning! I love the green one.

• 3 Constance // Dec 20, 2010 at 3:47 am

If that’s your “mid-wrapping clutter”, we have another reason to be in awe of your awesomeness. What a beautiful, elegant twist on the hanging ornament craze.

• 4 gail // Dec 20, 2010 at 4:42 am

love love love this! Can’t wait for the how to — I’m curious about what the top spacer thing is.

• 5 Becky Sue // Dec 20, 2010 at 5:29 am

Brilliant! I love it!

• 6 Jennifer W // Dec 20, 2010 at 6:56 am

Amazing!

• 7 nix // Dec 20, 2010 at 7:11 am

I love it, it could be the Invisible man’s invisible christmas tree :)

• 8 Claire // Dec 20, 2010 at 7:44 am

Thanks for sharing this. It pleases me to no end. We may just have to use this bit of inspiration in our home next year. Thanks again.

• 9 april's craft nest // Dec 20, 2010 at 7:56 am

what do you mean you are “not martha!” i beg to differ! this is so clever and beautiful! unfortunately it would be a huge tangled Christmas mess in our house with a 2 yo and a large dog! but i LOVE IT! the “bubbles” are so gorgeous!

• 10 Lynn // Dec 20, 2010 at 8:13 am

This is stunning! My infant would love love love to have something like this above his crib!

• 11 Laura // Dec 20, 2010 at 8:15 am

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

• 12 Michelle // Dec 20, 2010 at 8:27 am

Gorgeous! This is the perfect way to fit a tree into a small or minimalist space. And the clear ornaments could be rearranged to look like champagne bubbles for New Year’s.

• 13 Patricia // Dec 20, 2010 at 8:34 am

That is too cool! I love it. I agree with Constance about the lack of mess in your space. I’m very much in awe of both the trees and the tidyness.

• 14 Patr // Dec 20, 2010 at 9:03 am

Mega! What a GREAT IDEA!!!!!

And I have several color wheels from the 60′s that I used with my aluminum tree that would make this so cool….. I do not have room for a table tree in my front window, but I do have room for a ‘flat’ version of this in front of the window. And then with the color wheel!!!

I am HYPED for Christmas 2011!!!!

• 15 Lindsay // Dec 20, 2010 at 9:24 am

Now this is what I’ve been waiting to do! I definitely will be stocking up on clearance ornaments. It looks delightfully cat proof!

• 16 Seanna Lea // Dec 20, 2010 at 9:31 am

This is amazing looking, and perfect for small apartment/condo dwellers. If we didn’t already have our artificial (watch the cat and dog try to eat both plastic and wood) tree up, I would definitely be trying this!

• 17 Shawn // Dec 20, 2010 at 9:32 am

Very trick…what type of frame did you use to secure the filaments at the top?

• 18 kayemgi // Dec 20, 2010 at 10:22 am

Wow that’s really awesome looking! What a neat idea.

• 19 Emily // Dec 20, 2010 at 10:24 am

LOVE this! Please, please post how you did it!

• 20 megan // Dec 20, 2010 at 10:25 am

Thanks everybody! I’m so happy to know you like it. I wish I had a way to get pictures in front of a blank wall, I find the curtains distracting in the photos but the tree is more of a focus in real life.

Shawn – I’ll be posing a complete how-to tomorrow. The frame is pretty neat.

Constance and Patricia – In my defense we’d mostly cleared stuff away and the dining table was pushed back to get a photo, it’s usually a bit tighter in there.

• 21 haya // Dec 20, 2010 at 10:52 am

holy crap, this looks so cool!!!

p.s. your wrapping clutter is nowhere near as cluttery as mine

• 22 Star // Dec 20, 2010 at 10:55 am

Wonderful idea, gorgeous effect! Looking forward to the “how to” post. Thanks!

• 23 Grown Up Rachel // Dec 20, 2010 at 11:12 am

Wow. This is is stunning, really. I don’t know if I’d have the patience to work on this craft, but I just wanted to say that is pretty awesome!

• 24 Rachael // Dec 20, 2010 at 11:19 am

What a great idea! My sister is moving into a small apartment while out of state for some training, and was lamenting her lack of space for a real tree. I’ll be sharing this as a lovely, clever solution!

• 25 kay // Dec 20, 2010 at 11:56 am

You are brilliant! I love this!

• 26 Sarah K. F. // Dec 20, 2010 at 12:07 pm

It looks beautiful. I’m eager to know how you created it. I tried to buy a Christmas tree this weekend and failed.

I love the three variations. Gorgeous.

• 27 Hil // Dec 20, 2010 at 12:09 pm

You are amazing.

• 28 Emily // Dec 20, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Great idea. How do you plan on storing it without creating a large tangled mess?

• 29 tallin // Dec 20, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I was set on creating something like this but I couldn’t figure out an attractive way to secure the filament to a frame or support system. Plus the popcorn ceilings at my place make these kind of hangings alarmingly unstable.

I’m looking forward to see your “how-to” tomorrow!

• 30 Shelley Noble // Dec 20, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Absolutely ingenious!!! How do keep innovating like this?

• 31 Michelle // Dec 20, 2010 at 12:30 pm

LOVE! I’m allergic to real trees and live in a small space so I’m reluctant to invest in a fake tree only to have to store it for 11 months a year…. This may be just the answer.

• 32 LindaSonia // Dec 20, 2010 at 12:41 pm

This is the most clever interpretation of a christmas tree I’ve seen yet!!! Love it a LOT!

• 33 gaile // Dec 20, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Just gorgeous, especially the silver version. Sadly, I can only imagine what my cat would do to this, and to herself, within minutes of seeing it. To her eyes, this would look like about a hundred cat toys all hung just for her to tangle.

• 34 wendy // Dec 20, 2010 at 1:14 pm

very very cool!!! I love it!

• 35 MamaLana // Dec 20, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Fabulous idea! It’s just gorgeous.

• 36 Gayletrini // Dec 20, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Fabulous!

• 37 kimu // Dec 20, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I love how this looks! Like gaile, I’m pretty sure our two cats would be entranced by it. But it’s so cool I might give it a try anyway :)

• 38 Nolita Morgan // Dec 20, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Very crafty cool!

• 39 CuddlyBunny // Dec 20, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Spectacular!

Especially loving that shot from below … I could daydream there for hours!

• 40 KarWar // Dec 20, 2010 at 3:31 pm

that’s the most creative Christmas art I have ever seen!

• 41 Hillary // Dec 20, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I’m speechless I LOVE it more than anything! That is brilliant, and oh so pretty!

• 42 Laura // Dec 20, 2010 at 4:17 pm

That is a really cool idea and it look’s good all set up. Will have to wait here until next to try it though, maybe use some multi-colored ornaments.

Have a good holiday! :)

• 43 Jennifer // Dec 20, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Truly breathtaking! I adore the shot from underneath. Wow!

• 44 catherine // Dec 20, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Soooooooooooo Cool !

• 45 abi // Dec 20, 2010 at 6:16 pm

This is brilliant, and I LOVE the photo of the ornaments from below – would be stunning framed.

• 46 Jen Webster // Dec 20, 2010 at 7:12 pm

That is so cool~! I love it!
    Cheers~
    Jen

• 47 marnie // Dec 20, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Oh, if only you’d posted this last week, before I sprung for an ugly cheap fake tree to fit in our 5 foot window seat space!

• 48 megan // Dec 20, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Thank you so so much for all the comments, I’m thrilled!

The how-to post is all ready and will be posted tomorrow morning. Making the mobile was easier than I thought.

Marnie – I’m so sorry, I didn’t have it up until recently. I’m afraid I have to start creating these things a year in advance if I want to be timely! I’ll try to start thinking holidays earlier :)

• 49 Monica // Dec 20, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Wow, this is unbelievably cool! This is great for my small space.

• 50 suzanne // Dec 20, 2010 at 8:38 pm

LOVE.

• 51 kat // Dec 20, 2010 at 8:57 pm

amazing!
    our family friend used to float her tree in the air. they had a outcove in the ceiling and they would hang the tree (no idea on how they watered it) and it was so magical and light. this is just like that!

• 52 Tony // Dec 20, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I would LOVE a high res version of the view from beneath the green mobile. That photo just screams desktop background for me!

• 53 Allison @ House of Hepworths // Dec 20, 2010 at 10:43 pm

WOW, I LOVE love love this!! Did I mention I love it?

~Allison

• 54 Dacia // Dec 20, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Wow, that is super awesome!

• 55 Haylee // Dec 20, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Oh my heck, that has got to be the coolest thing I have ever seen!! I’m seriously so in love right now. MUCH cooler than a Christmas tree.

• 56 candleashes // Dec 20, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I love this idea so much! I will definitely do this when I get my own apartment. Such a practical “grown-up” tree option ^_^

• 57 Layla // Dec 20, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Completely blown away! So stunning.

• 58 Mary // Dec 21, 2010 at 1:27 am

I.NEED.THIS. So gorgeous!! Eco-friendly too :)

• 59 Adrienne // Dec 21, 2010 at 2:13 am

MY WORD, that is absolutely gorgeous! I cannot wait to see how it is attached to the ceiling!

• 60 The Everyday Minimalist // Dec 21, 2010 at 7:01 am

I hope you don’t mind but I am posting this and links back to your blog, along with the images on my post.

I REALLY REALLY LOVE IT. It’s so minimalist!!!!

• 61 wagga // Dec 21, 2010 at 9:08 am

Mathematically, not a true tree, but pretty, nethertheless.

• 62 {leah} // Dec 21, 2010 at 10:26 am

Amazing. ^_^

• 63 Design Crush » Ornament Mobile. // Dec 21, 2010 at 1:01 pm

[...] love, love this ornament mobile that Megan from not martha put together in lieu of a tree this year. It doesn’t take up much [...]

• 64 cris // Dec 21, 2010 at 1:48 pm

a lovely blog with wonderful ideas!!

• 65 Courtney Dirks // Dec 21, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Ooohhh, archiving for next year! I’m so sick of dealing with needles off the tree, this is a good solution to my problem while still feeling festive! :)

• 66 Liza // Dec 21, 2010 at 7:25 pm

This is genious! Elegant, simple, artistic, eco-friendly, clean and with an amazing WOW factor. The green shows up the most against the while background but I am intrigued by the mixed texture silver ornaments and the clear ones really DO look like bubbles. Thanks for sharing!

• 67 mlaiuppa // Dec 22, 2010 at 12:05 am

I see you decided on the green one.

I rather like the first one, the silver one.

Very versatile idea. No watering and easy to clean under. Also easy to see through since it is in front of a window.

• 68 Jeannie Crockett // Dec 22, 2010 at 6:11 am

Love it! Last year, we were in Paris for Christmas, and Sonia Rykiel had ornaments hanging in the windows. The display was just fabulous—and yours is reminiscent of that window. I might even like yours more!

• 69 grace // Dec 22, 2010 at 7:33 am

realy nice ilike to do the christmas decoration and i will be very proud thanks for sharing your iedas with many poeple happy feastives

• 70 Christmas Tree Mobile Made Using Suspended Bulb Ornaments // Dec 22, 2010 at 7:54 am

[...] Martha created a wonderfully minimalistic Christmas tree ornament mobile made using Christmas bulb ornaments suspended by clear [...]

• 71 World’s Strangest | Christmas Ornament Mobiles // Dec 22, 2010 at 11:05 am

[...] tree ornaments suspended from above by invisible filament. So easy to put gifts underneath! Link to pictures. Link to instructions. -via Laughing [...]

• 72 Miriam // Dec 22, 2010 at 11:40 am

I love this idea! Great!

• 73 MamaDavis // Dec 22, 2010 at 1:14 pm

You are a creative genius!!! I absolutely LOVE this!!!!

• 74 Mur // Dec 22, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Very neat but would not stand up to my toddler at home.

Spotted a link to this on Geekology too! LOL :D

• 75 Octoberan // Dec 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm

You’re an effing GENIUS!!! Thank you

• 76 michelle in cali // Dec 22, 2010 at 2:17 pm

that is insanely brilliant!! also one of the most beautiful things i’ve seen in a long time!

and i could do it too!!

i can’t wait until the after christmas sales for new christmas blubs!

thank you for sharing!

• 77 Kathy // Dec 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Just fabulous….fit in any decour and enhance the holiday theme. Thank You.

• 78 LolaGeek » Blog Archive » Linky Thursday – 12/23 // Dec 23, 2010 at 6:42 am

[...] Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile: What a neat idea! I love how this turned out. Very modern! Here’s how she did it. [...]

• 79 Amanda // Dec 23, 2010 at 9:42 am

It’s so fabulous!

• 80 Tree Envy. | Wackadoo. // Dec 24, 2010 at 8:45 am

[...] incredibly well designed. Here’s a link to the blog of this awesome tree’s creator: NotMartha Tree Mobile Looking up at the tree–what a beautiful [...]

• 81 jennifer ferrell // Dec 24, 2010 at 10:45 am

Genius!

• 82 Ren Lady Of The Arts // Dec 24, 2010 at 4:56 pm

What an amazing creative idea- So very perfect-
    Happy Holiday to YOU!

Ren

• 83 Chuzai Living // Dec 24, 2010 at 10:34 pm

What a great idea! I love it! Thanks for tweeting about it. I found your tweet and came here. All three of them look great. If I can find cheap ornaments at after Christmas sales here in Jakarta, Indonesia, I will try to make one next year! Kaho

• 84 A Green Christmas Tree: Happy Holidays! « The Everyday Minimalist // Dec 25, 2010 at 3:01 am

[...] so this one isn’t green but it’s AWESOME by not martha. It’s a Christmas Tree Ornament [...]

• 85 Design Happens » Archive » Daily Delight: Christmas Ornament Tree // Dec 25, 2010 at 4:01 am

[...] over at NotMartha handmade these Christmas tree ornament mobiles, and I’m quite taken with them. She includes a [...]

• 86 Smarts Magazine // Dec 30, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Super cool. But I’m dying to know how you are going to store it.

• 87 Greta // Jan 7, 2011 at 1:07 am

Love this! If I don’t make it too long (or if I use shatter-proof ornaments) I will have a cat-proof Christmas tree next year! Yay!

• 88 7/365 Ferrero Rocher at Westfield - Kris Gough - PhotographyKris Gough - Photography // Jan 7, 2011 at 5:19 pm

[...] which must have taken ages to put together. It reminds me a lot of a blog post I saw over at Not Martha where Megan created a Christmas tree ornament mobile. Looks pretty similar doesn’t it, well, [...]

• 89 TheCreativeNeedle // Jan 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm

What a great idea! I love the look of this and am going to try this for next Christmas. Would look great in a bay window!

• 90 amanda // Jan 28, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Love it!

• 91 Pavlina // Jan 31, 2011 at 12:42 pm

You must not have kids!

Not saying that is a bad thing or a good thing, but I’m just saying! :)

• 92 Lori // Feb 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I JUST found this! I absolutely LOVE it! What a great idea!!!!

• 93 Naturally Me Creations // Apr 24, 2011 at 2:33 am

Wow, what a novel idea! I think this is beautiful and so interesting! :)

• 94 Joey Sauer // Oct 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I love this a little bit too much. Never in a million years would I be able to pull it off, but if there were a manufactured item I’d surely have one.

• 95 Di // Oct 20, 2011 at 1:18 pm

What a cute idea….really original idea.

• 96 magali // Nov 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I would so do this if I didn’t have a cat!! I am scared of the disaster she might cause.

• 97 Sally // Nov 6, 2011 at 8:40 pm

How chic and modern. Love the green bulbs. Your very talented. Thanks for sharing.

• 98 Kim @Made in Day // Nov 8, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Love it!!

• 99 Carina // Nov 9, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!!! I saw a comercial of this on TV and have been looking for this for a while. This is the only site that I found this on. Not to mension this is a great space saver. Thanks for sharing!

• 100 It Came a little early this year. | Alyson’s Wonderland // Nov 17, 2011 at 11:46 am

[...] Here is something I came across last year and thought “COOL”. If I had more time, a modern house, and wouldn’t miss the glow that comes from the twinkly lights, I might attempt something like it. [...]

• 101 Eve // Nov 21, 2011 at 2:22 am

I knew I had seen this idea before (http://www.crateandbarrel.com/holidays/christmas-decorating/ornament-photo-chandelier/s254579), but I really like your take on it.

• 102 Meghan // Nov 26, 2011 at 2:52 pm

The guy down at Encore was fantastic helping me find the rack. Had to go with a 14 3/4 instead of 17 3/4 because they were out. Made a few adjustments to the measurements and I think it turned out great! I would love to do a bigger one next year.

• 103 megan // Nov 27, 2011 at 9:59 am

Carina – A commercial on tv? Where? When? Tell me more!

Eve – I don’t mean to sound like I’m bragging but I did my ornament mobile last year, and the C&B hanger you link to came out this year :) It is a good one though if you want something about the size of a chandelier. I think it also packs flat (something we need since we don’t have much storage space in our house).

• 104 marilynr // Nov 28, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I decided to make this for our Christmas tree this year. It took some scrambling, but I found the steamer rack at Creseto Restaurant Supply in Sacramento, and the mini-lanyard clips at Michael’s in the jewelry/bead department. I can’t believe how hard it was to locate those two items! I hope this helps others.

• 105 marilynr // Nov 28, 2011 at 3:28 pm

The tree I ‘m doing will have the angel planted on top of the steamer rack. I already spray painted the rack forest green, and will cover it with greenery, to surround the angel. I vaguely thought about painting it a soft white and using white quilt batting/Xmas tree batting to be a cloud for the angel to stand upon. So, who knows how this will turn out. I have a traditional house, so the modern/industrial look of all of the silvery metal does not work. So, I decided to decorate up the steamer rack . Someone might want to put a nativity there, a flameless candle, or something else.

I decided I am going to cover the chain with an ethereal shiny fabric, sewn in a loose folded tube over the chain.

I have no idea how this will look, but at least my husband and I will not be sneezing our way through the holiday season this year!

Genius idea!!!

• 106 megan // Dec 3, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Thanks so much for all the advice and variations everybody is sending in, I appreciate it!

• 107 Patr // Dec 5, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Megan,

Have you seen the HOME DEPOT add? They have one of these trees hanging over the dining room table. I had to rewind the TV and show it off to my Husband who should have been named THOMAS because when I sent him this link, he doubted it would look good over the dining table!!!! HA!

• 108 Patr // Dec 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm

me again: they have it on the web:

• 109 Linda // Dec 5, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I seen this on the Home Depot ad and loved it–they must have read this blog :D

Awesome Idea! Too cute. I wish I had the patience to make one and somewhere to hang it :)

• 110 Barron // Dec 5, 2011 at 11:48 pm

With two toddlers, it took a few late nights, but here’s our tree (profile view) http://twitpic.com/7p5aeo (bottom up view ) twitpic.com/7p5ahb

• 111 megan // Dec 6, 2011 at 9:39 am

Barron – I love it!

• 112 mary // Dec 6, 2011 at 4:57 pm

This is gorgeous! So unique! Stop by and link up if you have time!
    Mary

• 113 Amanda // Dec 7, 2011 at 2:51 am

I created this last weekend. thank you for the inspiration & instructions!

• 114 megan // Dec 7, 2011 at 9:49 am

Amanda – Looks super fantastic!

• 115 bARBIE // Dec 7, 2011 at 1:20 pm

love this idea really truly so cool

• 116 agnes // Dec 8, 2011 at 1:11 am

I’ll hype this in the Netherlands!
    Super Cool!

• 117 Jessica // Dec 8, 2011 at 4:23 am

Great idea! Perfect for a holiday party- guests would be floored…

• 118 Shannon @ A Mom's Year // Dec 8, 2011 at 8:26 am

This is one of the coolest ideas I’ve ever seen in the blogosphere. I don’t know if I’ll ever get it together to make one for Christmas, but I’m envisioning using this concept for science project DNA models. ;-)

• 119 Cindy moore // Dec 12, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I really love this, I tried it, worked on it for days.I finally gave up.It got 2 confusing,was hard 2 work with the monofiloment because it was hard 2 see.Wish I could of finished it. It is beautiful when som.somebody else does it.

• 120 Esther // Dec 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm

We just finished this for our lab/office. We love it – thanks for the directions! We used a plastic gridded air filter support instead of a metal rack and had to add some support to get it to hang right. Definitely will go with the steamer rack next time. It is definitely easier if you can work with someone else. I can see modifying this for a DNA model.

• 121 veena // Dec 18, 2011 at 10:28 pm

i had the same idea to make a a christmas tree mobile, i started making a frame for it but it just wasn’t working so i googled “christmas tree mobile” and up came your blog! thank you for posting your great instructions! i made my tree, it looks so AWESOME! i love it!

tips to folks that are planning to make it: don’t cut and loop all your lines and leave them stacked on top of each other. i did this and all of my strings got so tangled, i couldn’t take them apart!! it really sucked. so then i decided to prep my rack, then cut, loop, hang on the rack with the ornament to weigh it down.

my only concern now is packing this up after the holidays. how do i keep the string from tangling?

thanks again!!!! love it so much!

• 122 Lizy // Dec 27, 2011 at 8:36 am

Hi Megan!
    I have to say, I am blown away by these Christmas Tree mobiles! They are STUNNING! I will so try to give this a go ext year! Thank you so much for sharing and for taking the time to give such fab instruction too! :)
    Hoe your Christmas was wonderful !
    Lizy x

• 123 Melissa Iaquilino // Dec 28, 2011 at 9:21 am

I made the floating ornament xmas tree and would like to email a few pics to you! Thanks again for taking the time to publish the instructions. I hung it over my dining room table because we have 15 ft ceilings! It took 4 of us 6 hours to build and it’s about 5 feet long with 100 ornaments. I love it!

• 124 Ramya // Jan 2, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Wow!! what a great idea..looks really classy…!!

• 125 Josie // Jan 10, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I love how they look like holograms. Can’t decide if I like the green or silver better. I may never have the patience to do this, but thanks for posting it.
    Say hi to my daughter, Janet, when you see her. She lives in Seattle area also. (missing her from Michigan) LOL
    Happy New Year. I look forward to seeing what you do next!

• 126 Kali // Jan 17, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Everyone’s is beautiful! I want to try too–maybe after a post-Xmas Sale for the balls?!

My question is HOW do you store so you can rehang quickly from storage???

• 127 Martina // Aug 15, 2012 at 8:53 pm

They really do give the sense of floating in the air – you can see the strings in the close up photographs, but from a distance they just look suspend. Wonderful!

• 128 Diecut Business Cards // Oct 30, 2012 at 11:08 pm

This is amazing looking, and perfect for small apartment/condo dwellers.

• 129 Sue // Nov 12, 2012 at 6:05 pm

This is such a uniquely beautiful twist on the traditional Christmas tree. My home is small (Fla. bungalow) this is perfect! May God bless your talent and you!

• 130 Carole // Nov 21, 2012 at 11:30 am

This is so cool, although I think one of my cats would be totally mesmerized. lol

• 131 Zina // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:11 am

I’ve passed this link around so many times! A thought: if you don’t want to use ornament hooks, just take the cap and wire off the ornament, slip the monofilament loop over the wire, and then put them back on the ornament. A bit more fiddly, but sleeker. (This doesn’t do you any good if you’ve bought ornaments without the little wire, of course. :) )

• 132 megan // Nov 26, 2012 at 8:40 am

Zina – That would look really tidy but it would be a hassel if you want to rearrange the bulbs to get a few colors/textures spread out nicely. It would work for the clear bulbs really well!

• 133 22 Creative DIY Christmas Tree Ideas | Bored Panda // Dec 5, 2012 at 9:42 am

[...] (link) [...]

• 134 22 Alberi di Natale creativi | Vanilla MagazineVanilla Magazine // Dec 6, 2012 at 2:26 am

[...] (link) [...]

• 135 22 Creative DIY Christmas Tree Ideas | orange elephant // Dec 6, 2012 at 7:33 am

[...] (link) [...]

• 136 33 Clever DIY Christmas Tree Ideas | DeMilked // Dec 6, 2012 at 8:46 am

[...] (link) [...]

• 137 Regan B // Dec 11, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Love this idea! I’ve shared on my blog. Thank you!

• 138 LuAnne // Dec 17, 2012 at 7:48 am

I have been dreaming of this tree for two years. Well, this Saturday my two daughters show up with all the stuff to make it. Let me say, it turned out beautiful. It took 2 daughters, hubby and myself about 6 hours to make it. It is really cool. Now I need to figure out a way to store it, without taking it apart, because that is not happening. Anyone with ideas please let me know

• 139 Kristin // Dec 27, 2012 at 9:39 pm

• 140 Kristin // Dec 27, 2012 at 9:39 pm

• 141 Faye // Jan 12, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I am not worthy.

• 142 33 Creative DIY Christmas Tree Ideas | DIY Home Decor // Oct 20, 2013 at 11:09 pm

[...] (link) [...]

• 143 Top 36 Simple and Affordable DIY Christmas Decorations | WebNet Company // Nov 17, 2013 at 11:54 am

[...] Tutorial [...]

• 144 DIY Christmas Tree Ideas | DIY & Crafts Tutorials // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:57 am

[...] Floating Ornament Christmas Tree source [...]

• 145 Anabella // Dec 2, 2013 at 9:14 am

Cuantas esferas se usaron para hacerlo..? me encanto la ideal..!!

• 146 15 Modern Christmas Decorating Ideas | Trust Me, I'm a "Designer" // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:02 am

[...] a little bit of time and patience, you can craft your own Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile with the help of Not Martha’s [...]

• 147 Top 36 Simple and Affordable DIY Christmas Decorations | Life Hacks // Dec 4, 2013 at 6:41 am

[...] Tutorial [...]

• 148 The Chic Site // Dec 4, 2013 at 7:00 am

[...] Learn how to make this hanging ornament tree at Not Martha. [...]

• 149 Clever DIY Christmas Tree Ideas | Stars DustStars Dust // Dec 5, 2013 at 3:45 am

[...] 2. Floating Ornament Christmas Tree [...]

• 150 M Kolovratnikova // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:38 am

I finished my tree this morning. I used pizza grid of diameter 45 cm made of aluminium, instead of steamer rack, which is hard to buy in Europe. I am amazed by this tutorial and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for such a wonderful inspiration. Here is my tree:

• 151 Deb // Dec 6, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I love this idea, as I am looking for a way to replace the fake tree and do not want to kill a real one for just one month of enjoyment.
    I don’t think this will work for us though. Our ornaments are not uniform and we cannot afford to replace most of them for this project. Also, I really miss the lights!

• 152 12 Christmas Decorating Ideas « Keitochan Says: // Dec 7, 2013 at 12:07 pm

[...] Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile by [...]

• 153 Clara // Dec 8, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Thanks so much for the inspiration and detailed instructions. We were very pleased with how ours turned out!

• 154 DIY Christmas tree - A&D Blog // Dec 9, 2013 at 2:57 am

[...] image source and instructions [...]

• 155 22 Creative DIY Christmas Tree Ideas - Whats the Buzz ? // Dec 15, 2013 at 4:45 am

[...] (link) [...]

• 156 15 Awesome and Creative DIY Christmas Tree Design Ideas // Dec 15, 2013 at 7:44 am

[...] 9. Floating Ornament Christmas Tree (Source) [...]

• 157 A Treeless Christmas | Broadsheet.ie // Dec 16, 2013 at 12:43 am

[...] Christmas Tree Ornament moblie by Not Martha. [...]

• 158 22 Creative DIY Christmas Tree Ideas | Modernism // Dec 16, 2013 at 2:35 am

[...] (link) [...]

• 159 vanessa // Dec 18, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I am thrilled for this project! I bought gold ornaments and have everything else ready! except for the steamer, I can’t find one! help!

• 160 Alternative Christmas Trees | Guerilla Glue // Dec 19, 2013 at 9:55 am

[...] my very most favorite idea of all. An invisible Christmas ornament chandelier hung from the ceiling with care. It’s so simple and clean, elegant and easy at the same time. [...]

• 161 12 Creative DIY Christmas Tree Ideas – DesignSwan.com // Dec 19, 2013 at 6:49 pm

[...] 4. Christmas tree mobile [...]

• 162 14 Modern Christmas Decorating Ideas » My Design Stories // Dec 21, 2013 at 5:37 pm

[...] a little bit of time and patience, you can craft your own Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile with the help of Not [...]

• 163 Modern Christmas Decoration for your Interior Inspiration - Interior and Design // Dec 21, 2013 at 10:02 pm

[...] and voila! A rustic homemade tree!With a little bit of time and patience, you can craft your own Christmas Tree Ornament Mobile with the help of Not Martha’s tutorial.Steering clear of red and green to better fit the style [...]

• 164 BEST MODERN DECOR IDEAS FOR CHRISTMAS | Best Design Projects // Dec 23, 2013 at 2:44 am

• 165 Christmas Decoration Ideas - Part 1 |Livinghouse Blog | Interior Design Ideas // Dec 26, 2013 at 2:22 am

[...] If your feeling up to the task, here’s how it was made, courtesy of Not Martha. [...]

• 166 22 Ways to Create Your Own Christmas Tree // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:14 pm

[...] Via (link) [...]

• 167 A Very Merry Christmas | ashleykarlen.com // Mar 18, 2014 at 5:30 pm

[...] Christmas decorations that make the holiday season so fun. This can’t beat the traditional tree, but it is pretty whimsical. Then again, this is a pretty good tree too – and a great place [...]