FLOR carpet tiles

FLOR tiles in six different oranges

We finally bought some lounge-y type chairs for the empty spot in our dining room. I really wanted ones with arms (these chairs we spotted in Vegas would have been ideal) but after looking at every lounge chair I could and finding none that fit into the two categories that were imperative (A: I like them, and B: they are something less than $3000) I gave in and we bought inexpensive armless chairs. (We found them here at Overstock.) They work well because they don’t block the sightlines to the large mirror that leans against a wall off to one side. The mirror is huge and heavy and came into our possession when the people who previously owned this house left it behind. It’s so heavy I suspect we will also be leaving it behind.

our gray chairs

Here are chairs looking really boring.

Now we need a rug to go under the chairs and sort of define the space. We hope it will say “this is where we sit and sip martinis”. Or at the very least “this rug is here so the chairs won’t slide as you go to sit down”. The space is a size that most area rugs won’t work for as we walk through that corner to get in and out of the dining room. So a 5×8 area rug would stick out too far and I’d constantly be tripping on the corner (and dramatically dropping platters of food). A 4×6 rug wouldn’t be wide enough to allow all eight chair legs to rest on the rug. We need a 4×7 rug, so it was off to FLOR to decide on a color.

FLOR paper included in samples that reads Say hello to your FLOR samples

FLOR tiles, if you have not already come across them, are modular carpet tiles about 20″x20″. They are created from recycled or renewable materials where they can, low VOC, made mostly in the US and you can return them to the factory for recycling if you ever decide you no longer need them. If you spill something on one of them you can pick it up and wash it. And, important for our purposes, they can be trimmed to fit the size you need. Neat huh? Read more about the tiles and the company here.

our orange dining room wall

This is our dining room wall color.

I spent three days changing my mind about what color rug we needed. White! It would get dirty too quickly. Gray! Black and white stripes! Teal! Scott pointed out that an orange to go with our dining room wall would work well. The house is oddly laid out and you cannot really stand somewhere and be able to see the area rug and the wall in the same view so the amount of orange hopefully won’t be overwhelming.

six tiles laid out on the floor

Shown above: Fez in Orange, Toy Poodle in Persimmon, Fedora in Cayenne / Toy Poodle in Clementine, Feelin’ Groovy in Orange, Making Waves in Clementine.

We ordered six samples, they come 6″x6″, and I’m very glad we did as they look very different in person than on the website. (This may largely be the fault of my lack of a good computer monitor.)

clementine vs. orange, two tiles left

We narrowed it down to these two, Toy Poodle in Clementine and Feelin’ Groovy in Orange. After seeing them in daylight and at night we’ve chosen clementine as our color, it’s the lighter one above. The colors in the photo aren’t quite right, the Orange looks better up there, so you’ll just have to trust me. Though, I really really wish they still had the yellow-flecked orange they show as a design element at the top of this page:

p.s. The FLOR site has lots of great chairs in their example room photos. I want the violet/magenta ones shown on this page.

After that I need this Martini table from West Elm to hold our martinis. See? Perfect.

· comments [33] · 11-26-2010 · categories:the home ·

• 1 meaghan // Nov 26, 2010 at 7:38 am

I juuuust laid down our new FLOR yesterday morning. After the same (many months) research and indecision, I chose gray/frost feelin’ groovy. To match our new tufted sofa. A new trend? And you’re right. Samples are key. (We also found a green store nearby that carried some samples to save on some of the searching.)

• 2 Elizabeth // Nov 26, 2010 at 11:11 am

You absolutely need that Martini table in that appley green color.

• 3 Coasting anon // Nov 26, 2010 at 12:45 pm

SO fun to see your post on FLOR today. Did you know they also have a design blog? You can see it here (www.flor.com/blog).

I love the chairs you got from Overstock…can’t wait to see the final result.

–Miriam who is blatantly urging you to go visit Musings, the FLOR design blog, since I am one of the writers for it and love your blog so much ::grinning sheepishly::

• 4 PJ // Nov 26, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I am thinking about getting some for my kitchen, I think it would be great for durability and such, but I am concerned about how it would feel with bare feet, as some of the pictures look a bit…roughish.

• 5 AgathaMChristie // Nov 26, 2010 at 4:28 pm

1. I have been reading this blog for HOW many years? A lot.

2. I still love this blog.

3. Do not love the FLOR stuff. But still love you.

xo

• 6 megan // Nov 26, 2010 at 7:09 pm

PJ – You can get three samples for $5, that price includes shipping. They are large enough to give you an idea of how they would feel under foot. Flor has a bunch of more plush varieties — since we need to not trip over a corner we’re looking at the flatter options.

Agatha – I’m afraid I’ll need more idea as to what you mean when you say you do not love the Flor stuff. Have you tried it and found it not to your liking? Do you have a thing against carpet tiles? Do tell!

• 7 Robyn // Nov 26, 2010 at 7:56 pm

May I ask what paint color you used in your dining room? Love it and your blog!

• 8 megan // Nov 26, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Robyn – Sure thing. It’s Field Poppy from Olympic brand paint at Lowes. However, we bought it years ago and since Lowes has swapped in Valspar as it’s house brand (actually I think Olympic and Valspar have always been the same brand?). Which is all to say I don’t know if they carry it any longer. But they would very likely have something close. It’s a good color, I was afraid it would look too much like candy but it manages to have a bright and clean but still sort of sophisticated look about it.

• 9 Carrie // Nov 26, 2010 at 10:47 pm

I have the Flor catalog here and I look at it all the time… I want those squares in every room! Love the idea! Your room looks fantastic… cheery and modern… love it!

• 10 amanda // Nov 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I finally bit the bullet and did Flor in my hallway as a runner. I did an alternating stripe and then cut a border out of a solid. It has made such a difference and I’m kicking myself for not doing it sooner. They are just the best when you have a specific size that something needs to fit.

Also — love the chairs!!

• 11 amanda // Nov 27, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Oh! I also had bookmarked this side table — looks like black is out right now but the other colors are around $45 on sale right now (down from $60). If black comes back in — might be a nice affordable option.

• 12 MamaLana // Nov 27, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Oooooo, martini tables!

• 13 Rebecca // Nov 27, 2010 at 9:13 pm

We have toy poodle Flor tiles in my son’s room and I really like them. In fact, after two years of pretty punishing use and all kinds of baby… output… spilled on them, we cleaned them last weekend and they’re looking all but new now. The adhesive dots really stick well and the tiles lay nice and flat- no one has ever tripped over a corner of the rug despite being right in the doorway. We’ll probably use them again in our house.

• 14 Seema // Nov 27, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Thanks for the great blog, I love it! Can you please tell me where you found your mirror? I have been looking for an affordable mirror w/shelf to go over my sofa.
    Thanks!

• 15 megan // Nov 27, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Carrie – Thank you!

Amanda – I like that table a lot, thanks so much for the link.

Rebecca – I’m so glad to know they’ve been so well used and have stood up to the use, thank you!

Seema – We bought it in 2007 and it was either from CB2 or West Elm. I’m pretty sure it was CB2, but neither shop carries it anymore. I’m so sorry, it’s a good one. If I come across something similar I’ll make a note of it.

• 16 kat // Nov 28, 2010 at 12:53 am

ooh i was just talking about flor today! we’re looking for a blue rug for our living room and i have yet to find anything i like. so we might look at flor!

• 17 Seanna Lea // Nov 28, 2010 at 9:58 am

That is cool looking. I’m avoiding carpet, but these are attractive enough that I keep changing my mind.

• 18 Lucy // Nov 28, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I have been wanting to use FLOR in my new house for ages, but the cost of the samples really adds up. Some of their lines have 76 colors, but you get only 3 samples for $5? Even if I narrow to a specific color family, I might want to try a few different carpet lines, and a couple of colors in each. And for more than one room… The local dealer only has some of the tiles in house. Oh well.

• 19 Laura // Nov 28, 2010 at 2:55 pm

OHH! love the one you picked. I might also have considered both the colors, used in a chunky stripe or check. But the, Like Freddy Moran, I think of red as a neutral.

We have mostly traditional style, but I have been considering the FLOR tiles for under the dining room table.

• 20 Erica T. // Nov 28, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Right now my dining room is seven different colors: the gross avocado/mold green that it was when I moved in, and six different shades of orange. I cannot find one that I like, but I LOVE the color of your room! Do you by any slim chance remember what shade it is?

• 21 megan // Nov 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Kat – I’ll definitely report back if we do order the tiles (most probably we will) and how we like them.

Seanna Lea – I hear you. Our house is Pergo upstairs and carpet downstairs and I’m definitely not a fan of carpet. The Flor stuff, though, seems so very impermanent that I think I’m happier to commit to it. (Does that make sense? Is my commitment phobia showing?) I have done a *lot* of area rug shopping and it’s made me adore Flor that much more.

Lucy – Once we narrowed it to a color the samples were easy. The cost includes shipping. (I’m not getting paid by Flor to say stuff like that (wish I was!), but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that. However, if you have lots of colors in mind I could see how it would add up. I didn’t realize that there might be Flor reps near me and that I could check out samples myself! If I need more I might look into that more carefully.

Erica – I do remember, it’s Field Poppy by Olympic Paint. Olympic was the Lowes house brand at the time (four years ago?), but it’s since changed to Valspar (I suspect they are the very same company/paint). I’m not sure Valspar has the same color, and as you’re the second person to ask about it’s I’m wishing I’d kept the paint chip so I could compare it to the Valspar line!

• 22 Katie // Nov 29, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Save the sample tiles – they make great coasters!

• 23 megan // Nov 29, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Great idea Katie!

• 24 Lucy // Nov 29, 2010 at 5:14 pm

@Katie… or a door mat. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/boston/look-sample-flor-tile-doormat-091722

• 25 Anna // Nov 30, 2010 at 9:17 pm

what about getting tiles in multiple colors? i like the two color version that the flor website has up, but i think it would be great to mix all samples that you have there. i don’t know if you need that many full size tiles though. :)

• 26 megan // Nov 30, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Anna – I appreciate the suggestion! And I did consider it but the detail I didn’t go into is that we’ll be using the tiles at 2 and 1/2 deep and 7 and 1/2 wide, so a patchwork would look even more chaotic with the half tiles figured it. As it is that part of the space has a lot going on (kitchen and hallway on one side, entry/stairs the other) so something solid, something that is a field of color rather than a focus point, works out better. That said, I *love* what the office of Apartment Therapy did with mixed Flor tiles and if we had a large enough spread I’d happily do that.

• 27 Laura // Dec 2, 2010 at 9:40 am

Your martini lounge will be lovely – nice color choices! I’ve been thinking about FLOR tiles for my house (I’m about to rip up carpet throughout and refinish the hardwoods underneath). I have 2 lab-mutts who occasionally run laps around the couch and coffee table chasing each other. Do you think that the FLOR tiles stick together well enough that dogs taking fast corners won’t cause the end tiles to separate from the rest? Thanks!

• 28 Lynn // Dec 4, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I love those chairs. Are they comfortable enough to be used as a reading nook? I can find much in my preferred price range but hate to order without sitting on furniture first.

• 29 megan // Dec 6, 2010 at 11:05 am

Laura – I don’t have the tiles yet so I cannot say, but the tiles on the perimeter are held down by (removable) adhesive dots so that they won’t slide. I’m not sure how that would hold up against big pups. Maybe the Flor site would have reviews from dog owners?

Lynn – They are more comfortable than I thought, it’s easy to sit sideways or cross my legs and they are close enough to the ground (about 17″ seat height) that I don’t feel like I’m perched. And the seats are concave so the chair has a sort of hugging quality. That said, if I were to read in them I think I’d miss having chair arms to rest my elbows on and help prop up the weight of the book. If I were you I would keep looking for something with arms. If you need inexpensive (we did) keep an eye on Overstock as they have things come and go quickly.

• 30 Summer // Dec 12, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I put down Flor in our basement to cover some lovely vintage 70′s lino on an uneven cement slab. It looks beautiful and is SO much better on bare feet than cold lino.

• 31 Amy // Jun 26, 2011 at 10:30 am

I have Flor tiles in my kids room, and the tiles just won’t stay together. I replaced the dots, Flor sent me square stickers that are supposed to be stronger, but still not working. Wondering if I am doing something wrong….

• 32 Dorothy // Sep 6, 2011 at 12:48 am

For Amy who is having trouble with her dots sticking — I read on another website (think it was Apartment Therapy) — that you can use duct tape. I assume they just make their own dots by sticking pieces of duct tape together to make double sided duct tape dots (or squares) and used them in place of the Flor dots. I am going to try the Flor squares in a couple of my rooms because I don’t want to be locked into regular carpeting and will try the duct tape thing. I am wondering if when using a shampooer will water go between the tiles and get to the subfloor? Anybody know?

• 33 KB // Jan 31, 2012 at 1:23 pm

We’ve had a terrible experience with ours. Ordered 12 each of two gray/blue colors, and both sets included one tile that was clearly from a different dye lot (or were just really dirty?). Since some of the tiles were going under our bed, we just left them, but it was a surprising lack of quality control for such a small order.

It’s been about a year and a half and the row of tiles that isn’t held down anywhere by furniture continually separates from the rest. We started with the standard Flor dots, added twice as many dots the next time, got the square ones from the company, and have now used duct tape. Still no luck. I wouldn’t recommend these and won’t use them again. They’ve been entirely too much of a hassle.