Po Dog and living in the future

hot dogs from Po Dog in Seattle

The above is a photo of the hot dogs Scott and I split at Po Dog here in Seattle last week. We had a Chicago Dog (all sorts of traditional toppings and yum), a Seattle Dog (cream cheese and chives, better than you might suspect), and a something dog with bbq sauce and crispy onions (interesting but not my thing). They were having an anniversary special so all the hot dogs were $1 each, a happy surprise. But the hot dogs is not why this particular Sunday night was neat.

Quick set up: A beloved Seattle restaurant, Canlis, has been celebrating their 60th birthday by hiding menus with 1950s prices ($4 broiled lobster, $4.25 filet mignon) all around Seattle, one per day for 50 days, and putting hints on Twitter. The person who finds the menu gets to eat cheap. (p.s. Canlis was were we went for our first anniversary.) Ok, back to the hot dogs.

We were sitting there checking Twitter (not our normal MO but we’d spent all day together on an epic area rug quest and we’d mutually and contentedly agreed we had nothing more to talk about, also the music was very very loud, also I was hangry) and the Canlis hint appeared on Twitter. It said “Annie Reed follows her heart. 1:07:22″. So I Googled Annie Reed and IMDB informed me it was the main female character in Sleepless In Seattle. Obviously the numbers are a point in the film. I thought we were done for but then we remembered that we have Netflix streaming on my phone. So we loaded the movie, fast forwarded to 1:07:22 and found the scene where Meg Ryan is fake-driving into Seattle then turning a corner at Western and Broad, which was of course where the menu was hidden. We’d found the menu without even getting up from our booth at the hot dog place! Yay for living in the future! By then the menu had been found by somebody living really close to the hiding place. The $1 hot dogs were a nice consolation prize.

· comments [8] · 11-19-2010 · categories:mumbling · seattle ·

• 1 Kaela // Nov 19, 2010 at 8:24 am

Oh man! I was so excited for you and some 4 buck lobster. I’m quite sad you couldn’t get to it quicker. But those hot dogs look quite comforting!

• 2 Michelle // Nov 19, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Hubby and I have been talking about going to Canlis for dinner for eons, I think before we were even married. I think this might be the year we’re actually going to do it. Though it would be nice to find the menu, for a suburnanite, it’s nigh impossible.

• 3 elainepill // Nov 19, 2010 at 12:58 pm

reading about your 1 buck dogs reminded me that in my college town (san luis obispo, ca) there was a hot dog joint that had hot dog happy hour once a week when all the dogs were really cheap…good memories!

bummer about the retro menu!

• 4 Star // Nov 19, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Haven’t been back to Westwood (just south of UCLA) in West Los Angeles for eons, but I sure hope that “The Wurst” is still there…heavenly mesquite grilled yummies, from a ‘normal’ hot dog to bratwurst, ecc.
    Miss it!

• 5 Michelle // Nov 19, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I’ve passed Po Dog lots of time and always wondered what they were like, I love the inventive flavors – the Seattle dog sounds great, must try them now!

• 6 Stephanie S // Nov 20, 2010 at 12:53 am

I enjoy PoDog. I had the Fajita dog the last time I was there and it was fantastic. Pleasantly smoky and spicy. Yum. And your other dog was a Texas dog, one of my favorites…but then again, most anything on a hot dog is a favorite :)

• 7 Kristen C. // Nov 20, 2010 at 9:51 am

The dogs and technology are good but did you just coin the word “hangry”!? I love it! I definitely fall into the irrationally short tempered when I get over hungry and now hopefully I can giggle about it a bit when I think of how “hangry” I’m getting. :)

• 8 megan // Nov 20, 2010 at 10:59 am

Kristen – I’ve the word here before as a combination of hungry and angry. Scott and I use it as a shortcut warning that food must be found right now, and also the hangry sufferer is not responsible for any bitchy outbursts. We’re not sure if we saw the word somewhere or if we came up with it, though if you search for it you can find entries in Urban Dictionary and the like. So, yeah, hangry is a real condition, we should hold awareness benefits and get our own ribbon color.