links: misc

Alternatives to Jezebel.com? Blogs “for women” that aren’t awful? | Ask MetaFilter.

The Ugly Green Chair's tips for finding new music without having to endure annoying commercials and obnoxious djs. Thank you. So much.

And then I met Neil Gaiman — TheBloggess.com. This entire story is awesome.

Deskunking Dogs, Cats, and Other Pets, a formula that works, apparently it was also used on Mythbusters. Via @neilhimself on Twitter.

Paris 26 Gigapixels – Interactive virtual tour of the most beautiful monuments of Paris. I had this bookmarked on my iPhone, must remember to explore it.

How-To: Preserve a Candy Portrait | Craftzine.com.

The Mythologies Behind Harry Potter, at Neatorama.

A Guide To Visitors: Stories on Stage. A good storytelling audio program, and it’s here in Seattle.

How many pennies fit in a 1 lb coffee can? | Ask MetaFilter. A very dedicated group of people estimating how many pennies will fit in a coffee can, the asker comes back with the final total near the end of the page.

· comments [7] · 11-16-2010 · categories:links · misc ·

• 1 ashlie // Nov 16, 2010 at 3:50 am

I love the Harry Potter link. The books have been favorites of mine for a long time; I especially appreciate that Rowling never tries to claim she invented the mythologies she references. With or without the “borrowed” magic, the books win me.

• 2 Seanna Lea // Nov 16, 2010 at 4:36 am

While Victor has never been sprayed on any of our walks, I anticipate needing this link at least once. He is pretty curious!

• 3 JessaMae Photography // Nov 16, 2010 at 8:42 am

THANK goodness none of my animals have been sprayed…(knock on wood)….I may have to bookmark this in case! My smallest dog is quite barky at everything she sees…..

• 4 megan // Nov 16, 2010 at 10:17 am

The dog we had growing up was never sprayed by a skunk either, which was fortunate as we lived near a wooded park and skunks were everywhere. Then again she was sort of a wimp.

Ashlie – I liked reading about mythologies I hadn’t heard of before that she used. I suspected she didn’t make much up but wasn’t sure.

• 5 Sherri S. // Nov 16, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I can attest that hydrogen peroxide and dish soap DOES work (I mean, there is a bit of lingering odor, but not knock-you-over skunk smell). Our dog ran up to a skunk and then did a classic cartoon foot-scrabbling/trying to stop and back up maneuver (I swear I heard that Looney Tunes music in the background), but to no avail–full on skunk attack. Poor girl!

• 6 megan // Nov 16, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Thanks Sherri!

• 7 Jen // Nov 16, 2010 at 8:23 pm

our family dog (may she rest in peace) was sprayed 6 or 7 times in her lifetime, that dear bonehead.