links: food

Creative food craft ideas | Edible Crafts | CraftGossip.com.

Hendrick’s Gin in Girvan, Scotland – Sight Unseen.

What is the second herbal tea to try after chamomile? | Ask MetaFilter. Lots of great herbal tea recommendations. I didn’t know that fennel tea was made, and I’ve never heard of ku ding.

Veggie & Quinoa Pot Pie – Our Domicile.

Pumpkin gnocchi | Seattle Times Newspaper.

Black*Eiffel: Martha Stewart Makes Cookies. iPad app!

How to Make Mulling Spices for the Holidays | Serious Eats.

Ad Hoc Chocolate Chip Cookies « Baking Bites.

How to make edible glue | Sweetopia.

The Burger Lab: Revisiting the Myth of The 12-Year Old McDonald’s Burger That Just Won’t Rot (Testing Results!) | A Hamburger Today. People, this one is surprising.

Apple Cakes · Edible Crafts | CraftGossip.com. These are adorable.

· comments [11] · 11-9-2010 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 haya // Nov 9, 2010 at 6:16 am

oh! i got really excited when i saw the link to the martha stewart iphone app, because when i saw it come out last week, i immediately wanted it (but it was only for the ipad)

sadly it seems to still be only for the ipad (probably rightly so, since the tiny iphone screen would hardly do it justice). just means that i can’t have it :(

love your link posts!

• 2 Seanna Lea // Nov 9, 2010 at 8:52 am

I love the look of the little apple cakes. They are adorable.

I also really appreciate the burger update. I had that thought the first time I saw the blog from the food nutritionist, and I was wondering why no one had thought of it. Good to see my thoughts proven with the scientific method.

• 3 just barrie // Nov 9, 2010 at 9:36 am

I just made that pumpkin gnocchi last week with the pulp from our halloween pumpkin. It was delicious.

As far as teas go, you can steep anything from rosemary to sage to fennel. Any herb you would grow in your garden could probably be a good tea. I use my own rosemary tea (from the rosemary that grows across from the Ballard library) to make my conditioner!

• 4 megan // Nov 9, 2010 at 10:10 am

Haya – Oops, sorry about that. I’m so used to typing “iPhone”, eeep.

Seanna Lea – I’m so glad somebody did it as well, it’s fascinating. And, I have to admit, no matter what side I’m on it’s hard to watch somebody be a punching bag.

• 5 anne // Nov 9, 2010 at 11:25 am

Any ideas on conversion from the fresh pie pumpkin chunks to canned pumpkin puree? I stocked up on canned during the shortage last year and I’d love to use it up, plus save some time. I’ve roasted pumpkin before, but I’m into using up my pantry items lately. Sounds super yum!

• 6 megan // Nov 9, 2010 at 11:54 am

Anne – Do you mean for the Pumpkin Gnocchi recipe linked to above? I’m afraid I have no good idea how to convert that to canned. They start with 1.5 pounds of raw peeled pumpkin and cook it in water then discard that cooking water. I have to assume some weight is lost or gained during that process. Perhaps give it a shot using 1.5 pounds of canned and add more or less water during the stirring process to compensate and see how things go? I’ll be interested to hear back if you do test this as I’d like to make some myself and have canned pumpkin left over from Halloween.

• 7 Jocelyn // Nov 9, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I followed the ad hoc cookie link expecting this to be about truly “ad hoc” cookies :laughing at myself:

…like a recipe for making a single cookie
    (so I wouldn’t eat the whole darn pan of them!)

• 8 megan // Nov 9, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Jocelyn – I hear you. I have taken to spooning the dough into cookie portions and freezing before baking. Then you can bake one or two cookies at a time meaning you don’t have two dozen freshly baked cookies sitting right in front of you :)

• 9 anne // Nov 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Yep – was wondering for the gnocchi. I’ll have to give it a whirl! I just found a forgotten bag of pumpkin ravioli in my freezer, so I’m eating them tonight and brushing up on my sage/butter sauce making skills! Will report back!

• 10 Jennevieve // Nov 15, 2010 at 11:09 am

I just made the Pumpkin Gnocchi and used a tiny sweet pie pumpkin which I was hoping would translate into 1.5 pounds flesh but I had to use a whole extra cup of flour because it was so sticky. I would suggest using one can of pumpkin as a substitution.

Also, he said to use 24 sage leaves and that was way too much! I used about 10 and we could barely taste any pumpkin because the sage was so strong! But it was sooo delicious. I went out and bought a potato ricer especially for it and can’t wait to try a more traditional potato gnocchi now!

• 11 megan // Nov 15, 2010 at 11:48 am

Jennevieve – Thanks so much for the information on how much canned pumpkin to use. I’ll have to make this soon, and invest in a ricer, to confirm. Glad to know about the amount of sage as well.