links: the home

Save Energy without Replacement Windows – DIY Life.

Heated….RUGS? » Curbly | DIY Design Community « Keywords: heater, space_heater, rug_pad, rug. I think I want a rug heater, anybody used one? Like it?

DIY Athens Farm Wedding | Once Wed. While the wedding dress is great, I’m bookmarking this for the easy and charming polka dot garland shown behind the sewing machine.

Dyson City DC-26 Multi floor (NOTCOT). It’s so tiny, and it has a retractable cord. I might rethink my proposed purchase of a Miele.

WowWall on Etsy. I like the scale of these wall stickers.

· comments [21] · 11-2-2010 · categories:links · the home ·

• 1 Kerry // Nov 2, 2010 at 5:34 am

I have a WowWall sticker on my living room wall, and it looks great!

• 2 mar // Nov 2, 2010 at 6:09 am

FWIW, my mother-in-law had a Miele – I used it 2x a week for 4 years – I was not impressed. Not great suction. The retractable cord was great, yes, very stylish, not heavy – but suction -meh.

I have an older Dyson – one of the bigger ones, but worth it for the suction!

• 3 mar // Nov 2, 2010 at 6:10 am

Meant to say that esp. considering the $$ of a Miele, definitely thought the Dyson was a better deal.

• 4 Karin // Nov 2, 2010 at 6:53 am

Heated rugs were really common in Japan, and we had one all throughout my childhood. LOVED IT. Between that and a warm blanket, cold winter evenings in front of the TV were perfect.

• 5 Seanna Lea // Nov 2, 2010 at 8:07 am

Thanks for the vacuum heads up! I need to find one that is easier to use than our monster vac for our carpeted stairs.

• 6 abby jenkins // Nov 2, 2010 at 8:25 am

Whoa, so glad I came across your blog. My house in Vermont is draftier than a polkadot igloo in a snowstorm and don’t want to replace the old windows. Cool old wavy glass and all…

Plus our old big yellow Dyson doesn’t suck anymore, which sucks … so I’ll ck out your recommendation.

Can’t wait to troll through the rest of your blog!

• 7 megan // Nov 2, 2010 at 9:00 am

Abby – We’re going to do the heat shrink film on our windows this year, I’ll report if it makes a big difference. We have fairly modern double pane windows but I’m surprised at how much cold radiates through them.

• 8 entropy's bitch // Nov 2, 2010 at 9:36 am

I love my miele. Honestly, it’s so versatile, and not heavy at all. and the suction is so great. the thing about bagless cleaners is that when you open them, you release a lot of allergens back into the air. as far as suction goes, i’ve accidentally vacuumed up a green onion, a cat toy and a drapery off the rod. It sucks so hard! *giggle* (these were separate incidences). I’ll give you a test drive, Megan, if you want!
    Also, the plastic film…rather than replace the odd size fan window in the bedroom, i’m going to give that a whirl…thanks for the idea!

• 9 megan // Nov 2, 2010 at 9:38 am

I swear people get all serious when it comes to Miele vs. Dyson! Owners of either seem to love them with equal fervor so I suspect I won’t regret either purchase.

• 10 entropy's bitch // Nov 2, 2010 at 9:48 am

Honestly, I would look at the electrolux canister. I compares very favorably with the miele. (again, I’m biased, i know.) and there need to be tshirts *team Dyson* *team Miele*…

• 11 T of Balkan Style Bloggers // Nov 2, 2010 at 9:51 am

Count me in for Team Miele! You cannot go wrong with a Miele. I have a mid-range canister Miele and it is very light, VERY quiet, and has excellent suction. In my opinion, worth the extra $$.

• 12 Joy // Nov 2, 2010 at 12:02 pm

If you do use film on your windows, make sure you get the kind that is really thick! We bought some for our windows last winter, not realizing this and we nearly froze because it was a cheapie kit with really thin strips of plastic.

• 13 Emira // Nov 2, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Hey Megan, i’d be a bit concerned about how often you need to empty that little canister. The one complaint I have about our Dyson is the needing to empty thing, mostly because I like to do it outside at the garbage can out back so as not to spread dust through the recently vacuumed house, and I tend to be lazy and not do it… then next time I need to vacuum next time I curse myself. But in our relatively small home, which we vacuum at least once a week I need to empty it pretty much each time. So your house (which I think is about the same square footage) may require multiple empties of that City canister per vacuum… which would be annoying. (Oh and for the record I do *love* our dyson even with the emptying bother).

• 14 megan // Nov 2, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Emira – Thank you, that is a consideration as we don’t have a good place to empty the canister if it’s rainy outside. Then again, we rarely vacuum the whole house at the same time, we tend to clean in sections. Our biggest consideration is that we don’t vacuum enough because dragging our upright vacuum upstairs is a big hindrance (read: we are lazy).

• 15 megan // Nov 2, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Entropy’s Bitch – I’ll look at the Electrolux, thanks!

• 16 ansley // Nov 2, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Glad you have a post about NOT replacing windows. It is a huge problem here in LA. People are getting rid of their historic windows for those tacky vinyl windows. It is totally ruining the historic fabric of the region. Here is a link to a weatherization guide for older homes:

• 17 M // Nov 2, 2010 at 7:33 pm

firstly, team Miele all the way! Both the bagged-ness and the HEPA filter are what make it possible for me to vacuum at all. And I love that it is so quiet.

Second, WowWall is cool but they weren’t the first to do this sort of thing. I was pretty shocked to see them doing such a blatent rip-off of Ferm Living stuff. http://fermlivingshop.com/kids/stickers/animaltower_orange.html

vs

lame.

• 18 Abby-Sophia // Nov 2, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Just wanted to say that I have a Miele and it was the best purchase I’ve ever made. My sister has a Dyson and doesn’t like it. So I’d say it might be more of an issue of model, and not just brand.

• 19 megan // Nov 2, 2010 at 11:46 pm

M – I know about Ferm Living’s wall stickers, but I didn’t realize that WowWalls designs were so close. I think the originator of static stickers for walls was perhaps Blik wall graphics (?). But, I was specifically remarking on the scale of WowWall’s designs in this case.

• 20 Stefanie // Nov 4, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Speaking of heated rugs, I got a heated mattress pad. I love it. My upstairs gets pretty cold, but I don’t want to crank up the heat in the whole house just for the bedroom.

• 21 Danielle // Nov 17, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Those WowWall decals are awesome, my sister just bought a condo and I’m in charge of the decor for the guest room… I’m thinking I’m gonna have to get a big one of these!