links: food

I love the large, fluffy matzoh balls you find at good delicatessens. When I make them at home they come out like leaden bricks. Help me get that authentic deli-style taste and texture! | Ask MetaFilter.

Summer’s Last Porch Party | helenjane.com. Nachos three ways, bookmarking for next summer.

The Food Lab’s Top 6 Food Myths | Serious Eats.

Mandolin slicers for dummies! | Ask MetaFilter.

make grow gather – a nice thing. Taking note of the cocktail here: “sunset matadors (tequila and pineapple juice with fresh squeezed lime juice)”. Oh yeah.

CakeSpy – Guest Post: How To Make Homemade Sugar Decorations by Nellie Cakes.

Look! Colored Eggs in Swiss Supermarket | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn. “They’re so nice for picnics,” I love this.

Dessine moi un objet » Ustensiles comestibles – Résultats. Salad utensils made from bread, swoon. Via Craftzine.

Cool Tools: King Arthur Dough Whisk.

cauliflower and parmesan cake | smitten kitchen.

Seattle Tall Poppy: Exploring Wheat with Shepherd’s Grain. I learned all about Shepherd’s Grain at the first IFBC and ever since cannot talk about how they work without getting a little bit of happy tears going.

Herbed Cheese Straws › shutterbean. Oh yum.

Clear Ice FAIL #2 – Voracious. Does anybody remember if the Mythbusters managed to create clear ice?

· comments [6] · 10-28-2010 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 Chelsea // Oct 28, 2010 at 4:03 am

I love my dough whisk and I got mine at for about half the price. The small size is perfect and it fits into a wide mouth mason jar which is perfect for starters.

• 2 Faith // Oct 28, 2010 at 6:56 am

I have a Benriner mandoline/slicer (recommended in that MeFi thread). I *adore* it. But yes, it’s very easy to cut yourself; my husband looks at it with rank apprehension every time I take it out of the cupboard. A heavy-duty glove is the best protection — also, the willingness to “waste” (i.e. compost) more of the stub of a vegetable than you usually would.

One other drawback is that it can’t be adjusted precisely to certain measurements. Someday I would love a really pro mandoline that has settings for 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, etc. Very handy for casseroles and gratins.

• 3 Seanna Lea // Oct 28, 2010 at 7:50 am

I have a cheap mandoline (I don’t remember the brand, but it was under $50 from Williams Sonoma), and I love it. Though I am one of the people who cut themselves badly the first time I used it. Definitely a learning experience!

I love the homemade sugar decorations. I will have to try that the next time I decide to make cupcakes for my friends and coworkers.

• 4 kay // Oct 28, 2010 at 9:35 am

I have been using Shepard’s grain since you wrote about it a while back. I am lucky my local Roth’s (obviously an Oregonian) has it. While it is more expensive than, say, Gold Medal, I love it! It is the greatest flour ever.

• 5 jen // Oct 28, 2010 at 10:06 am

the salad utensils are actually made of pastry crust, not bread.

• 6 Lynn in Tucson // Oct 28, 2010 at 8:50 pm

The secret for matzoh balls is to put them in your simmering soup, cover, and DON’T PEEK for 30 minutes. I have never had a leaden matzoh ball.