links: misc

Help disabuse me of some historical falsehoods. | Ask MetaFilter. Interesting list of things we think we know but aren’t actually true.

I have always found skunk odor and roses to share similar scent. In my opinion, it’s strikingly similar, but almost nobody agrees with me. What chemical, if any, do they have in common? | Ask MetaFilter. Some fantastic responses with links to lots more information on how scent and our brains work.

The Reverse Geocache™ Puzzle Box | Arduiniana. Oh wow is this cool. A guy constructs a box that will only open when it’s taken to a specific spot on Earth, it was created as a wedding present. The project was so popular he started taking commissions, and one of them is a engagement ring box. Via Waxy.

The stencils used to cut topiaries at versailles – NOTCOT. So that’s how it’s done.

Real Wedding: Brittany + Paul « 100 Layer Cake. I am completely smitten with the huge paper flowers that decorate this wedding. Thanks to Oh Happy Day for pointing is to this.

Follow-up: Gapgate – Brand New. It’s been a whirlwind few days since the Gap logo redesign, if you blinked and missed it here is a timeline of the drama.

Four things about Mr. Snuffleupagus, at Kottke. He has a first name! It’s Aloysius.

Lucky Farmer Finds 21-Leaf Clover in His Garden – TOKYOMANGO.

· comments [8] · 10-19-2010 · categories:links · misc ·

• 1 Seanna Lea // Oct 19, 2010 at 7:13 am

The puzzle box is awesome. That is a very cool idea and while I don’t have any real mechanical aptitude, I want to make one and give it to my hubby for his birthday or Christmas!

• 2 js // Oct 19, 2010 at 7:47 am

I actually knew that about Snuffy. He was my favorite character, and I grew up when he was still only Big Bird’s friend. I always wanted the others to see him because he was so awesome. That happened long after I stopped watching. (I’m old.)

• 3 Jocelyn // Oct 19, 2010 at 8:53 am

you ARE going to follow up when you find a nice tutorial for those over-sized flowers, right? :)

Those wedding photos kind of have me already planning an outdoor tea party for next spring’s arrival.

• 4 Melissa // Oct 19, 2010 at 12:11 pm

That reverse geocache puzzle box is incredible! I love puzzle boxes (the ones that you have to push and poke for a while before they open) and this would be the best birthday/anniversary gift I can imagine! A surprise AND a trip/destination AND a present all in one?!?

I absolutely have to find out either how to make one of my own or how to commission one from this guy!

Your links are always the best.

• 5 Molly // Oct 19, 2010 at 10:40 pm

My guy was given a reverse geocache box as a welcome to his new job. It was so much fun to help him figure out! I was wondering who made them.

• 6 regina // Oct 20, 2010 at 7:38 am

my son’s middle name is aloysius because snuffy is my older son’s favorite character and I loved the name when i was a kid!

• 7 jen // Oct 20, 2010 at 8:11 am

I was told at a museum textile exhibit that part of the misconception of drasticly shorter people in earlier times comes from surviving clothing examples being smaller specimens. Larger samples were more likely to have been taken apart to reuse fabric.

I also get the person in the scent thread who had an association between skunk odour and Chinese food. To me, a close range skunk hit has elements that remind me of toasted sesame oil.

• 8 Callooh Callay » Blog Archive » Weekend Links: October 22nd Edition // Oct 22, 2010 at 12:36 pm

[...] How they cut the topiaries at Versailles. (NotCot via not martha) [...]