Jones Creek Farms

pulling an apple cart through the rows of trees, mountains in the distance

A few weekends ago some friends and I headed up to Jones Creek Farms to do some apple picking. They have a huge number of trees available for you to wander among and pick. You’re encouraged to take a taste of everything. It’s a lot of fun, wear shoes you don’t mind getting muddy. They have a few carts you can use if you’re planning on bringing back a huge amount of apples.

The farm is located in the Skagit Valley and you can see mountains in all directions. The day we went was overcast and misty.

close up of a half-shined apple

I have never really shined an apple before, it really works!

Bramley tree

We found a few of the famed Bramley trees. There weren’t many apples left for this season.

round Aisan pear

This Asian pear tasted a bit like butterscotch, it was amazing.

baby cow!

They have a baby cow! They also have chickens and sell cider. If you’re there ask about buying eggs and garlic as well.

· comments [15] · 10-18-2010 · categories:seattle · travel ·

• 1 Stephanie // Oct 18, 2010 at 1:41 am

I am in the area (Everett) and found your blog a couple weeks ago or so! I looked up this places site and couldn’t find if there was a price on a tour or anything. Is there or how do you go about being able to go there? An appointment? I apologize, haha. I have never done such a thing and I’m very interested. Looks like tons of fun.

• 2 Seanna Lea // Oct 18, 2010 at 7:48 am

I really need to go apple picking. It sounds like a lot of fun!

• 3 Kristina @ spabettie // Oct 18, 2010 at 9:21 am

Mmm, that pear sounds delicious, and CUTE cow !! :D

• 4 megan // Oct 18, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Stephanie – Visiting the farm is free, you pay for the apples you pick by the pound, something really cheap like $1 per pound.

Their website – Jones Creek Farms – has hours that they are open, I think they are open through the end of October and maybe into November.

• 5 Star // Oct 18, 2010 at 12:42 pm

If you’ve got apple trees, you even can personalize your apples! My grandpa used to wait til the apples got full-sized, but hadn’t started to go red, yet, then taped the letters of my name on the apple. Where the sun didn’t strike, the apples didn’t go red, and I had my very own apples! Thanks so much for the opportunity to share such a wonderful memory.

• 6 Nikki // Oct 18, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Beautiful! I’ll have to put apple pickin’ on my calendar before the first frost!

• 7 paola // Oct 18, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I’ve never, ever, EVER heard it pronounced ‘Brahmlee’. Is that an American thing? In the UK it’s got a short ‘a’ as in ‘cat’.

• 8 paola // Oct 18, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Oh and thanks for the mention!

• 9 megan // Oct 18, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Paola – The woman who owns the farm pronounced it as brahm-lee. But since I have a contradiction I’ll take the note about pronunciation out of the entry.

• 10 meegan // Oct 19, 2010 at 8:18 pm

That place is great. We were just up there a few weekends ago too. I brought home lots of apples, but I think I was most excited about the giant greenhouse full of awesome tomatoes. We had tomato sandwiches for days after that.

• 11 Haylie // Oct 23, 2010 at 6:50 pm

the baby cow is so cute! love farm animals

• 12 June // Oct 24, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I am so happy to hear someone else say that Asian pears taste like butterscotch. Someone gives me a bag full (I live in VT) every year. When they’ll fresh off the tree, they have the most lovely butterscotch/ginger flavor. Not as distinct when they’ve traveled a zillion miles to get to my local grocery store!

• 13 Arielle // Oct 27, 2010 at 2:01 pm

What a gorgeous farm! Those mountains are beautiful. I live in upstate New York and we have some great apple orchards. I just went apple picking myself. Here are some images from my adventures in the Saratoga apple orchard. Check it out! http://thechefrepublic.com/?p=806

• 14 Michele // Nov 2, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I have 50 Gala apples that a friend gave me- apples are one of the things that grow amazingly well in my area of Oregon- any suggestions besides apple sauce, apple pie or dehydrated slices to keep them?Thanks!

• 15 megan // Nov 2, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Michele – I’m afraid I have no new apple use ideas for you, would love to know if you find anything. Maybe check placed like Ask Metafilter?