links: food

So my Depression-era grandma used to make us this drink consisting of (I think) ginger, vinegar, sugar, and water. The recipe went to the pearly gates along with her. Help. | Ask MetaFilter. Turns out to be switchel, which seems worth trying next summer.

Baked Caramel Apple Donuts › shutterbean. So gooey and delicious looking.

Pizza Protips: The Windowpane Test | Slice Pizza Blog. How to know when your pizza dough is ready and you can stop kneading.

Diamonds for Dessert: APPLE PIE-rate ship. An apple pie in the shape of a ship, really amazing.

Help me make vanilla extract | Ask MetaFilter.

mirrormirror: Recipe of the Week A Traditionally English Bramley Apple Pie. I want to thank Paola for being so very helpful with details about the best sort of apples and lard to use with this pie.

· comments [6] · 10-5-2010 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 Jill // Oct 5, 2010 at 11:45 am

Switchel sounds similar to a drink I make using mint instead of ginger called Sekanjabin. I may have to try it with ginger sometime too.

• 2 Seanna Lea // Oct 5, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Wow. I really want to do mini-doughnuts!

• 3 Syd // Oct 6, 2010 at 6:08 am

Amazing, just last night I was thinking about how I want to learn how to make an apple pie. But not any old apple pie, the best apple pie. And voila, Megan comes through with a recipe the very day! Magical.

• 4 Lauren // Oct 8, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Last summer I tried drinking a little apple cider vinegar in water to help with some acid reflux trouble, and with a little honey in it I was surprised at how it tasted a bit like lemonade. I’ll have to try the ginger addition….

• 5 Pat // Oct 11, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I just fell across a recipe for Switchel in “Yankee Hill Country Cooking” by Beatrice Vaughan published in 1963. It calls for 1 cup light brown sugar, 1 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup molasses, 1 T ground ginger and 1 quart of cold water. Combine & stir well.

• 6 Amy @ Yard to Fork // Oct 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Hi! Vanilla extract is what I made last year for the holidays — the only issue you might have is it’s getting kinda late in the game to get going as it need to marinate for a while… here’s how I made it (includes links to where I bought my beans wholesale) http://yardtofork.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/making-vanilla-extract/

and then the packaging — so fun! here’s how I did that http://yardtofork.wordpress.com/2009/11/28/homemade-holiday-goodies/

Good luck!