thing I like: simple ribbed white towels

white towels, simultaneously over and under exposed in this photo

The above is a terrible picture of our new towels, which I’m unexpectedly in love with. I picked them up in a rushed trip to Bed, Bath and Beyond when we had friends coming to town and I sort of grabbed the first towels that looked good to me. But now I love them because they manage to be fluffy without being too heavy or thick, because they remind me of these from CB2, but most importantly because they don’t have that strip of binding (cuff? flat strip of non-terry cloth stuff?) a few inches in from either end. (What is that called?) Anyhow, I simply don’t like that and find the lack of it delightful. They are nicely inexpensive too, even when you insist on getting extra bath sheets.

· comments [19] · 09-29-2010 · categories:shopping ·

• 1 just barrie // Sep 29, 2010 at 6:12 am

You gonna keep the brand of these magical towels a secret from the rest of us? I love simple white towels and one of these days I’m gonna chuck all the mismatchy ones my boyfriend brought into the relationship.

• 2 Lisa // Sep 29, 2010 at 6:24 am

That strip is called a “dobby”. Weird name I know, but I remember it from an old episode on Martha Stewart where she was personalizing towels and adding ribbon.

• 3 Jamie // Sep 29, 2010 at 6:28 am

I’d love the brand too. I’m actually replacing all of our master bathroom towels with white and these look like they might do the trick.

• 4 Seanna Lea // Sep 29, 2010 at 7:17 am

Our towels are all pretty mismatched. I keep telling myself I don’t care, but it is hard to keep them all looking nice.

• 5 Lynn in Tucson // Sep 29, 2010 at 7:34 am

No bath sheets at CB2? Deal breaker! Costco is another good source for plain, white “spa” towels.

• 6 Susan Gibbs // Sep 29, 2010 at 7:45 am

I only use white towels and it drives me crazy that you can’t get identical ones to those you already have. Why do towels need to change from year to year?

• 7 MargoIsland // Sep 29, 2010 at 8:20 am

That decorative part of the towel is called a dobby.

• 8 megan // Sep 29, 2010 at 8:32 am

Oops, sorry, though I’d linked to the towels. Link is up now.

Jamie and Margo – Thanks so much, a dobby! Apparently I do not like dobbies.

• 9 Cathy // Sep 29, 2010 at 3:25 pm

But Dobby was such a good house elf!

• 10 Lady in a Smalltown // Sep 29, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I hate that strip too.

• 11 Judi // Sep 29, 2010 at 8:58 pm

That dobby wouldn’t be so bad if it didn’t shrink and cinch up the ends of the towels after a couple washings :/

• 12 Marshall Penelope // Sep 29, 2010 at 10:55 pm

exactly, that is an annoying shrinky weird strip that never looks good.

p.s. nice towels.

• 13 Dad is in the House // Sep 30, 2010 at 5:46 am

I have some of these too. My favorite ones come from Walmart or Sam’s Club. Seriously having towels like this is the magic bullet for keeping your stuff clean.

• 14 Amani // Sep 30, 2010 at 8:19 am

I love new white towels, too. In fact, I’m moving this month and am super excited to go to BBB or its facsimile and buy new towels!
    Also, I LOVE that lemongrass soap from Ballard Organics. I moved to Oakland 2 years ago and hoarded my bottle of it for a while, but alas it is finally gone. I wonder if they mail order… no worries, I don’t work for them, I don’t even know them. Just love ‘em.
    Aaaand, for what it’s worth, I hate that edge, too. The ‘dobby’, is it? Drying-off-ruining tape.

• 15 wendy // Oct 4, 2010 at 5:46 pm

OMG – I KNOW! that dobby thing? We hunted for towels one night for dobbyless towels. Argh.

• 16 wordichick // Oct 14, 2010 at 8:11 am

following this excellent trend, i put all white on my bed: white percale (gotta be percale) sheets, white down alt comforter, white stripy throw pillows. so nice.

• 17 regan // Oct 18, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I just decided the other day to pitch all of our colored towels and sheets in favor of solid white ones. Now I just need one of those 20% off at BBB coupons to arrive and I’ll be set!

• 18 BethanyWD // Oct 27, 2010 at 11:57 am

May I ask how they are holding up? The reviews on BBB indicated they shed. Thanks!

• 19 megan // Oct 29, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Bethany – They did shed a bit but after the second washing they stopped. They lost some softness as well, but I completely expected that. They’re still great.