birthday gift wrapping

loop of paper with the word SCOTT sticking up out of it

Yesterday was Scott’s birthday. I wanted to use the message paper gift topper (show below) from MSL The Crafts Department blog to decorate but I was lacking a bit in both time and paper length so I settled for just using his name. (Not shown: Scott wearing the gift topper like a party tiara.)

four boxes with colored paper numbers

I also wanted him to open the boxes in a certain order so I numbered them, attaching the numbers so that they would fold down. The stacked boxes and the paper ribbon hid the numbers until he started to unwrap the bundle.

stack of various colored paper

I have had this stack of colored paper for years, I bought it when we lived in San Francisco, and I usually pull it out just for gift wrapping. I somehow never seem to have wrapping paper in the house when I need it, but I always have a roll of brown butcher paper around. I buy in huge rolls and use to recover the top of my cutting table. So, I’ve been using the colored paper to decorate packages and I’m nearly out of lime green, oh no!

What was in the boxes? One held a little Tinysaur Display Kit to hold the T-Rex Tinysaur that Scott assembled earlier this summer. (It’s impressively small, smaller than any of the pictures manage to portray.) The other was this awesome T-Rex Belt Buckle, also made by Everything Tiny, which came with a nice black leather belt that just the right size.

Here is the MSL Crafts Department message paper gift topper, so fantastic:

MSL gift paper topper reading HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD

· comments [16] · 09-23-2010 · categories:craft ·

• 1 Jennifer // Sep 23, 2010 at 7:01 am

Thanks for this! I got my husband some books he wanted for his birthday – not terribly exciting or surprising as far as gifts go. This wrapping idea will definitely liven things up!

• 2 Seanna Lea // Sep 23, 2010 at 7:13 am

The message paper topper is excellent! I will have to do that next time for Secret Santa.

• 3 celia // Sep 23, 2010 at 11:42 am

AWESOME belt buckle and gift wrapping idea!

• 4 America’s Next Topper Model « Badder Homes & Gardens // Sep 23, 2010 at 2:19 pm

[...] gift wrap toppers are cuter than toddlers in pageant dresses. They’re probably a lot less cunty, [...]

• 5 kelli // Sep 24, 2010 at 12:10 am

these are great, I love the happy birthday ribbon

• 6 Tina // Sep 24, 2010 at 8:10 pm

love the tiny t-rex. i bought my husband the woolly mammoth a few years ago and he loved it…i got it from the seller’s old shop at etsy…glad to see she’s expanding!

• 7 ania @ papercutworks // Sep 26, 2010 at 3:24 pm

What an excellent simple paper cut project! & sweetly executed, too. Will keep it in mind for my next gift wrapping project.

• 8 Gorgeous gifts without all the clutter | Unclutterer // Sep 27, 2010 at 7:31 am

[...] website NotMartha recently linked to a Martha Stewart project that is right up my simple-wrapping [...]

• 9 Charissa - The Gifted Blog // Sep 27, 2010 at 4:31 pm

You did it! I saw that on the MS blog and just thought – awesome, but way too time consuming to try. I love how you took what you had and used this idea. This looks much less intimidating now.

Also, I’m always on the lookout for man-friendly gift wrapping, so this is an awesome example!

• 10 Amy’s Notebook 09.29.10 | The Motherload // Sep 29, 2010 at 4:00 am

[...] am inspired by this birthday gift wrapping job (@ not [...]

• 11 kim // Sep 30, 2010 at 11:43 pm

WOW these are brilliant!! i love love the numbered one! i think i will do that for christmas! and the names too!

• 12 Julie in Edmonds // Oct 1, 2010 at 6:07 am

That is too cool!

• 13 Jessica // Oct 2, 2010 at 6:10 am

I actually really like th butcher paper wrapping. it’s got a very clean feel to it. Maybe not for holiday wrapping, but admist a slew of other gifts for birthday or a shower, it would stand out.

• 14 Monika // Oct 10, 2010 at 11:46 am

love the last one…so creative :)

• 15 Jessica @ Jessiker Bakes // Oct 12, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Fabulous! Super cute

• 16 Charissa - The Gifted Blog // Jun 14, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I included this in a roundup of manly gift wrapping ideas for Father’s Day – thanks again for sharing!