Skull Cake of the Week: Cinnamon Swirl

skull cake

I have come down with a sneezy sort of cold. I managed to rally enough on Sunday to make this cinnamon swirl cake. It’s from a mix and I added some extra fancy cinnamon which was given to me by Cinnamon (thanks again!). The results: I can report that one boxed mix will make plenty of cake to fill both sides of the skull cake pan. Tastewise, however, you’re better off making a coffee cake from scratch, if you have the energy. And now I’m going back to bed where I can be pitiful and feel sorry for myself while eating cake.

· comments [14] · 09-20-2010 · categories:food · halloween ·

• 1 Jamie G // Sep 20, 2010 at 4:17 am

Feel better!

• 2 Seanna Lea // Sep 20, 2010 at 8:23 am

If I had this cake pan, then the ghost rider cake I made for a friend’s birthday last year would have come out much better!

• 3 nissa // Sep 20, 2010 at 9:18 am

Do you think it would work making it with rasberry jam inside (ala filled doughnut) as a creepier halloween version?

• 4 megan // Sep 20, 2010 at 9:43 am

Thanks Jamie!

Nissa – I think so. I had hoped to do a filled cake this week but (cough, cough, sniffle) wasn’t feeling up to it. I’m shooting for next week and will report back.

• 5 Heather // Sep 20, 2010 at 9:50 am

On the plus side, you have the ability to have a “Skull Cake of the Week”. How many people have THAT going for them?

• 6 karin // Sep 20, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I sent this to Scott, but then realized I could just post it here, even though you’ve probably seen it already: fruit/veggie skulls.

• 7 Jen // Sep 20, 2010 at 2:01 pm

What kind of potential is there for icing a cake like this? Would fondant pick up the details or just completely obliterate them? I love me some cake, but I also love me some frosting.

Any chance you could run some experiments?

I obtained a skull mold a few weeks ago (flimsy plastic, though, wouldn’t stand up in an oven), and I’m looking forward to some creepy jello next month.

I hope you feel better soon!

• 8 megan // Sep 20, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Thanks Jen!

I am going to try some frostings, fondant in particular. If you do a Google Image search for skull cake you can see lots of great examples, most paint details onto the fondant. I’m also going to do a poured icing, and try putting buttercream type frosting in the center for an inside out thing.

• 9 Jess // Sep 20, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I think a glaze would be perfect as a frosting, while allowing the details to show through. It would look extra creepy, too, since it would be all wet and shiny looking. Sort of like a “freshly boiled skull” look. Ew!

• 10 Nathalie // Sep 20, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Oh man, I’m sorry you’re sick. I was sick this weekend too, and made myself feel better with an almond pound cake on Sunday.
    This cake pan is really awesome. I guess you always have something to make at Halloween. But how do you cut into it? I always try to make all the pieces even, but I don’t think that would really be possible here.

• 11 Brenda Boo // Sep 21, 2010 at 5:41 am

This look soooo good! My 2 favorite things .. good deserts and skulls!

• 12 Cinnamon // Sep 24, 2010 at 10:15 am

Oooh! I was considering doing something like this for our Halloween party. Now I know! :)

And I’m so glad you like the cinnamon, having access to several varieties has made me a bit of a cinnamon snob, which I am totally okay with. Do you have a preference of the two vareities? Just curious what people prefer.

• 13 Everyone Loves Autumn! « The Apartment Farm // Sep 24, 2010 at 10:58 am

[...] Not Martha is baking up some Cinnamon Swirl skull cakes. [...]

• 14 kim // Oct 29, 2010 at 1:59 pm

so glad i stumbled across this additional posting about the skull pan, i wanted to know if it held the same as a box mix. I do scratch but it is the same amount as boxed lol Love your site btw! off to bake up my first skull!