links: misc

Why is my ability to visualize so unbounded when I am drifting off to sleep (but not yet dreaming)? Is this a state I can reproduce in waking life? | Ask MetaFilter. Really interesting response involving Salvado Dali’s technique for capturing this.

I found a secret room in my apartment. How do I decorate it? | Ask MetaFilter. It’s like every New Yorkers space anxiety dream come to reality. They have pictures and video to prove it’s real.

Some friends mentioned the Dear Sugar advice column to me and ever since I’ve seen it recommended everywhere. So, in case you have not heard about it yet, the Dear Sugar advice column is amazing and I look forward to it each week. Start with this one.

Live Shifter is a choose your own adventure on Twitter. Here is the author’s take on how he did it: How to write Interactive Fiction for Twitter « total cruft. Via Waxy.

· comments [12] · 09-16-2010 · categories:links · misc ·

• 1 Sam // Sep 16, 2010 at 5:39 am

I clicked through to Dear Sugar and that question-and-answer gave me chills – what a great response. Thanks for mentioning it!

• 2 Amanda T // Sep 16, 2010 at 7:58 am

Omg, Dear Sugar… wow. Thank you for the link. That was unbelievably inspiring.

• 3 Whitney // Sep 16, 2010 at 8:30 am

Thank you for re-introducing me to Sugar, I finally got around to adding her to my reader.

The column you linked to made me cry and cry and cry. It was really helpful. Thank you.

• 4 Seanna Lea // Sep 16, 2010 at 8:32 am

That made me cry. And then I continued reading and it made me cry again.

• 5 A // Sep 16, 2010 at 3:26 pm

You’re so right. Dear Sugar is one of the ‘best of the web’.

• 6 MamaLana // Sep 16, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Thanks for Dear Sugar. I cried, too.

• 7 Rinaldi // Sep 16, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Thank you for the Dear Sugar, I haven’t read anything so well written in quite a while.
    I can always use a new bookmark!

• 8 Nancy M // Sep 17, 2010 at 8:37 am

Another THANK YOU for the introduction to Dear Sugar. Wow. thank you.

• 9 Jennifer // Sep 18, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I’ll chime in with another thanks for the link to Dear Sugar. I spent my chore time today reading past columns. My house is worse for wear, but my soul is better for it.

• 10 Nathalie // Sep 19, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Again, thanks for Dear Sugar. I’m a bit enraged that these things happen, and that no one with power does anything about it. Shouldn’t nearly drowning a girl with a hose repeatedly land someone in jail? Like, forever? Truly moving, but debilitating as well.

• 11 Ellen // Sep 20, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Another thanks for sharing Dear Sugar. Can’t believe how affecting that first column was, and I’m now a regular reader.

• 12 Trae C // Apr 28, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Oh, it was you! I’m so grateful to you for introducing me to the Dear Sugar column. I’ve been a huge fan of Sugar and Cheryl Strayed and I couldn’t remember where I’d first heard of her. A little searching through my blog reader led me to your post from 2010. So thank you, thank you, thank you!