a warm fuzzy non-wool cardigan

purple wrap cardigan from Old Navy

I find wool and most all animal fibers (yes even cashmere, tragic) too itchy to wear. As a result I’ve missed out on a lot of cozy sweater wearing in the past. Happily manmade fibers seem to have caught up and these days I’m finding more and more acrylic/cotton blends that are soft and fuzzy and, most importantly, warm. My most recent find is this wrap cardigan from Old Navy. I might buy two.

· comments [17] · 09-8-2010 · categories:shopping ·

• 1 Jessica // Sep 8, 2010 at 3:52 am

Nice find! Fortunately, I can wear wool (love it!), but I could never do angora. The little hairs bothers my eyes, making them itch and water.

• 2 Kiki // Sep 8, 2010 at 5:56 am

I had to chuckle when reading this because I am the same way! If I wear wool anything, it must not touch absolutely any part of my body or I will itch like mad. I recently ordered that same sweater (different color) from Old Navy and I’m really looking forward to the weather chilling enough that I can wear it!

• 3 Amanda // Sep 8, 2010 at 6:41 am

I don’t wear wool either so feel free to post more awesome sweaters that you find! I love a good cotton/acrylic blend – warmer and won’t stretch out as much as pure cotton and not as plastic-y as some full acrylic sweaters can feel. Muchas Gracias!

• 4 amanda // Sep 8, 2010 at 6:58 am

Have you checked American Apparel? I wear a cardigan from there all the time. It’s not made of sweater fabric, but it has a great cardigan look to it. http://store.americanapparel.net/rsa4400w.html

• 5 Jessica // Sep 8, 2010 at 9:13 am

Thank God, someone else out there who can’t do animal fibers! If a sweater has even 1% mohair, wool, whatever, I’m squirming and uncomfortable. Can’t do it. You’re so right, cottons are coming back but I don’t know why people prefer wool. It’s a hassle to wash where cotton and acrylic can get tossed in the wash no problem.

• 6 Mallory // Sep 8, 2010 at 10:31 am

I’m with you, even the snuggliest of woolens drive me crazy with itchiness. Mittens, hats, scarves; I’m cool. Anything that touches my arms; not so much.

• 7 Michele // Sep 8, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I’m the same way! And I LOVE that sweater. GREAT color too!

• 8 Nascondere facebook agli indesiderati. // Sep 8, 2010 at 12:53 pm

[...] not martha — a warm fuzzy non-wool cardigan [...]

• 9 Nathalie // Sep 8, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I don’t mind wool and whatnot, but I do have to say that this is a cute looking sweater. I love when fall comes around, and sweaters start showing up in shops. It gives me such a happy, cuddly, the-world-is-right, kind of feeling. This particular sweater looks just perfect, too. :-)

• 10 Joseph's Grainery // Sep 9, 2010 at 8:00 am

I’m with you, don’t like itchy sweaters. This one looks pretty cute, may just have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

• 11 Angela Daniels // Sep 9, 2010 at 10:44 am

I will absolutely buy two- hooray!

• 12 anne // Sep 9, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Found a great cardigan in cotton at Eddie Bauer’s outlet of all places a few weeks ago. If you have one near you, I highly recommend it. Not for moms at all. :) Some cabling, just warm and cozy. And in the $20-$30 range.

• 13 Emily // Sep 9, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Great find! My mother always said that if you find something you REALLY love, buy one in each color you like.

• 14 Vincci // Sep 9, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I dislike Old Navy but that cardigan looks so cute! I may have to sneak in to buy one.

• 15 Jen // Sep 10, 2010 at 11:16 am

Bought one today! Lovin it! Got the light brown one!!!!! Thanks for the idea, I got an ON gift card for my BD and needed to use it!

• 16 janet // Sep 12, 2010 at 9:42 am

I so agree with you. Wool is sooo itchy, how can anyone stand it is beyond me. I recall as a girl my grandparents returning from Sweden with a wool sweater for me. It was wonderful, to look at… I HAD to wear it or else. I am still scarred from this day so long ago. =D

• 17 megan // Sep 13, 2010 at 11:53 am

I’m so glad to hear from fellow non-wool types, life is hard for us when the cold sets in :)

Amanda – Honestly? I’ve been so horribly insulted by American Apparel staff that I won’t set foot in the store again.