links: food

Cool Tools: Restaurant Grade Sheet Pans. Like the ones in the Pioneer Woman cookbook! Being too lazy/intimidated/wary to walk into a restaurant supply store here I’m glad to know where to find them.

DIY Polka Dot Fruit Roll Ups · Edible Crafts @ CraftGossip.

Orange, Bitter, & Refreshing: 5 Classic Campari Cocktails | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn.

Tasty Planner – Article – The Problem with Ice-Planets. We were recently rewatching Firefly so I was happy to find that somebody created this dessert from the show.

Bubble gin and tonic, at Kottke. Want this.

Baked Alaska on a Stick · Edible Crafts.

Pancakes with Blueberry Butter | Not Without Salt. Blueberry butter, brilliant!

The Food Lab: Do ‘Better’ Eggs Really Taste Better? | Serious Eats. Comparing egg color (he takes them to the green place) and perception of flavor, bringing it around to New Coke.

I Baked a Mini Cherry Pie Into a Dark Chocolate Cupcake | Slog. Awesome.

3-D Waffles · Edible Crafts. An iron that makes waffle cups!

The Videos: Nathan Myhrvold, Chris Young and Mrs. Agnes Marshall, Culinary Time Traveler – Voracious. Distinguished Lecturers series from the University of Washington with the guys who wrote Modernist Cuisine.

· comments [10] · 09-2-2010 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 sara jane // Sep 2, 2010 at 10:08 am

pssst.. not to dis CoolTools, but Acemart.com has “bun pans” for less. I am not a shill for Acemart, but have bought many there for my own use and for shower gifts.

• 2 megan // Sep 2, 2010 at 10:24 am

Thank you Sara Jane!

• 3 Maria // Sep 2, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I don’t know about any online sources, but the restaurant supply I go to in San Jose has half-sheet pans for $7.90.

Honestly, don’t be afraid to go into a restaurant supply store. They are like magical cooking wonderlands. Just leave your credit cards at home.

• 4 Stacerella // Sep 2, 2010 at 1:56 pm

The key to buying pro kitchen grade sheets is to buy metal ones, not the aluminum versions Wilton puts out. They’re great for cooking foods like veg and meats on, but not baking like cookies. Cookies require metal pans that will distribute the heat evenly. Aluminum don’t conduct heat the same way, or evenly. Very frustrating. I didn’t relalise and fought with my gorgeous aluminum pans for 3 Christmases, blaming my old renter apartment oven for the failures. It was the pans I bought. How annoying and embarrassing for someone like me who used to work in a huge kitchen.

• 5 Cindy // Sep 2, 2010 at 7:05 pm

WOW!
    Thanks a ton for the link to my polka dot fruit roll ups Megan.

• 6 caroline // Sep 2, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Echoing Maria’s comments about not being afraid to check out restaurant supply stores. The East Bay Restaurant Supply store is open to the public (you can stop there on your road trip!), and provides a zero-pressure shopping experience. We go there for dishes, trays, etc. for school. My husband got his beer-brewing pot there. As an added bonus, the EBRS has a real (stuffed) polar bear on display!

• 7 megan // Sep 3, 2010 at 7:22 am

Thanks so much for the tip in the metal instead of aluminum pans. There are some kitchen supply stores near me but I never have cash when I’m passing them :)

• 8 polymathamy // Sep 3, 2010 at 9:35 am

Sam’s Club sells two-packs of real restaurant-grade half sheet pans. Probably not as cheap as restaurant supply stores, but perhaps easier to find.

• 9 Amanda // Sep 12, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Loved the egg article. I always get my eggs from one of two local farmers here :)

• 10 Betsy // Sep 21, 2010 at 9:41 am

My boyfriend introduced me to Firefly recently..we haven’t gotten to this episode yet, but we may have to try making that when we do!