feeling lighter

white balloons seen against a blue sky

Hi there. It’s been a while since I’ve posted much of substance here. Part is summer laziness, part is stuff I’m still working on, but mostly it’s because we finally got ourselves back to making our house a bit prettier. The intersection of houseguests and a plumbing emergency (nothing drastic) kick started us on the projects we’d been contemplating and we’ve been riding the momentum. Like, we bought a couch (Ikea, Karlstad, dark gray, with ottoman!) and we’re arranging the other bits of the living room that can now fall into place. I’m also excavating my sewing room and it’s, well, it’s a process. Not a pretty one. We’re back to the familiar cycle of going back and forth from the hardware store and having various surfaces in our house covered in paint chips and drywall anchors.

But I’m feeling lighter. Getting rid of things I no longer need, hauling things to donate, making room for a bicycle. A delayed spring cleaning, if you will. So that’s what I’m doing right now and I’ll hopefully emerge soon with some good information to share. Like how to not hit a kitchen sink pipe when hanging a curtain rod. For example.

white balloons seen against a blue sky

· comments [8] · 07-19-2010 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 Faye // Jul 19, 2010 at 5:27 am

Ooh, can you post a picture of Karlstad? I’m thinking about buying it but I’d like to see it in situ.

• 2 Jo // Jul 19, 2010 at 10:36 am

I stand in awe of anyone who could hit a water pipe (presumably leading to that plumbing disaster you mentioned) with a curtain rod. You need to come sit over here by me and my Beloved Sister, as you are obviously a long-lost member of our family.

• 3 jen (pingwin) // Jul 19, 2010 at 10:39 am

Ew. Hopefully the hanging a curtain rod story didn’t lead to the plumbing emergency. Congrats on the belated spring cleaning. Now that it’s sunny most of the time, I’m more inclined to do some of the same.

• 4 megan // Jul 19, 2010 at 11:56 am

Faye – I will as soon as we have the last few decorative things ready. Right now it just looks like a dark gray couch against a white wall. I’ll talk about why I like it as a compromise couch. It looks like a small couch, but it’s really a good size for two people who like to lounge, especially if you get an ottoman to go with it.

Jo – Thank you, I’m so glad to know I’m not alone in the world :)

• 5 Nathalie // Jul 19, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Congrats on the will and drive to tidy! And good luck with actually finishing all the things you start. That’s what I always have trouble with.

• 6 Becky Sue // Jul 19, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I’m in purge mode, too. A new puppy is forcing me to stay home so I figure I better make it worthwhile.

• 7 Betty // Jul 19, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Go you! Purge, baby, purge…. I’m right there with you. I got rid of twenty pairs of shoes this weekend. T W E N T Y. I cannot even believe that I’ve been hoarding some of these. Opaque bins are evil… minimalist boyfriends are the bomb.
    Keep on purgin’!

• 8 barrie // Jul 20, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I’m looking to clean house too. I’m actually currently looking for the perfect label maker and storage units for either clothes or yarn (or both). Maybe one of these days you can share your tips – so I don’t have to search the entire world wide web ;-)

Also, love the pics. Did you take them?