links: misc

What does it mean to be a “pastor’s wife,” anyway? | Ask MetaFilter. Interesting, I grew up Catholic so the experience of a church with pastors who have families of their own is very different from what I knew.

How can I help an autistic guy navigate “Facebook friends”? | Ask MetaFilter.

Seattle wants urban farms, but roosters need not apply, at the Seattle PI. Oh I do hope they ban roosters. We had two in our tightly packed neighborhood last summer and those, uh, nice birdies crowed all day long. It nearly drove me crazy, and it must have driven the owners crazy because none of the roosters stayed in the neighborhood for too long. The article mentions that some people claim it’s no more obtrusive than a dog barking but I can tell that it really, really is.

· comments [14] · 07-16-2010 · categories:links · misc ·

• 1 herschel // Jul 16, 2010 at 6:01 am

Former Chicago suburb resident here: we had NO IDEA that our neighbor even had chickens … until they got a rooster. And yes, that rooster didn’t last very long, either.

• 2 Jess // Jul 16, 2010 at 8:17 am

Thank you a millions times for posting the pastor’s wife Metafilter! My fiance and I are *both* in seminary to become pastors… so I’ll get to be a pastor AND a pastor’s wife. Yeehaw!

• 3 rakka // Jul 16, 2010 at 8:37 am

As a PK (preacher’s kid), oh, the stories I could tell you… (Go ahead, ask me about my former life. ha!)

The Metafilter comments were spot on. But, bascially, all you need to know is that 1) you will have NO privacy 2) people will show up/call at all hours (it’s a 24/7/365 job).

• 4 Melissa // Jul 16, 2010 at 10:30 am

I guess I’m lucky, because my neighbors have roosters but it does not bother me at all. I basically have completely tuned out their crowing. Our other neighbor has peacocks though, so that probably is why I don’t think roosters are that bad. The peacocks are much, much louder. But even those are okay with me. I’d rather hear that than those stupid booming cars,LOUD mufflerless trucks that roar by all day, or our other neighbors dogs that bark constantly at night.

• 5 Tina // Jul 16, 2010 at 11:27 am

re: dog barking argument….a dog barking all day is pretty damn annoying, so if that’s the argument for why a rooster isn’t annoying, ummmm, it fails.

• 6 megan // Jul 16, 2010 at 11:34 am

In my experience, the trucks pass by, the dogs stop barking, but the roosters crowed all day long, every minute or so. They were loudest in the early morning and it was a piercing sound that was impossible to tune out, and which the owners could not train out of them. One was in an adjoining back yard and we live in a dense city neighborhood so it was less than 20 feet from our bedroom window. It was, let’s just say, not good.

• 7 giddy girlie // Jul 16, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I lived near a few roosters and their crowing didn’t bother me, but I can appreciate how they would be bothersome. More than the noise (as Melissa said, peacocks are even worse! And they sound like children screaming, so it hits some primal nerve that makes you panic), roosters are MEAN. Depending on how well they are confined to their yards, roosters will wander and they’ll chase you. That’s why most of the chicken in your oven is actually a rooster. The same with turkeys. No one who has raised turkeys has ever cried when Thanksgiving rolls around. They are nasty creatures!

• 8 meg // Jul 16, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Ah, I hope they don’t ban them. They are already covererd under noise ordinance rules so if they are bugging anyone they can make a complaint, just as they can a barking dog. There is no point to ban them outright. Anymore than it makes sense to ban dogs outright.
    Some roosters might be aggressive…but again they are generally kept in a run or coop living in the city. I’m sure they get out at times just like there are hoards of aggressive dogs running around.
    I have dogs, chickens, roosters and a kid…they all make noise. None are aggressive. In fact, the child is the by far the noisiest.
    The one rooster I am keeping doesn’t crow at all at this point. The other 2 do and I am rehoming them…but they are actually really sweet and I can carry them around and pick them up.

So…my point is that they are covered under the laws that make them bothersome to people. If they aren’t doing those things or bothering others than there is no reason for people not to have them.

• 9 Nathalie // Jul 17, 2010 at 5:41 am

I live in a small town in a farming area. The large sprawling farms start maybe ten miles from the center of the “downtown” area. This little town has actually banned not only roosters, but chickens as well. I’ve never had to live next to chickens, but really, I’m glad I don’t have to worry about it now either.

• 10 Laura // Jul 17, 2010 at 9:48 pm

the first metafilter response, with the yes/no questions look really helpful. Some towns have adult recreation for people with autism or other disabilities, and I have heard of nice (likely to be reciprocated) romances happening there.

• 11 DLG // Jul 19, 2010 at 2:55 pm

My Husband and I bought a home one time because when we stepped into the backyard a rooster crowed. Of course, we were already considering, but that was the final selling part. The neighbor with the chickens moved in a couple of years, but we never tired of hearing the rooster.

• 12 chickens // Jul 20, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Not all roosters crow non-stop, just like not all dogs bark all day long. A caring owner can do things to make it easier on the rooster (most crow when they see daylight, or street lights) like keeping them in a dark coop until 8am or so.

If you’ve never had roosters, or even chickens for that matter, you’re missing out. Most rooster owners do more than their part to keep the crowing at a minimum (not to mention removing aggressive birds) – which is more than I can say for any of the dog owners I’ve ever lived near.

• 13 Heidi // Jul 25, 2010 at 10:10 am

I also grew up Catholic and we are seeing more and more married priests. Most were originally ordained as Episcopal or Methodists ministers and then converted. It is interesting, but I enjoy it.

• 14 Maggie // Aug 8, 2010 at 12:02 pm

The Shabby Apple dresses…all great. I’d go for the Circo, myself. :)