links: the home

Please help me figure out how to hang these curtains before I lose my mind. | Ask MetaFilter. Some good advice on dealing with the simple act of putting screws in walls. Glad I’m not the only one who finds this completely frustrating.

How To Make a Custom Knife Tray Out of Wood & Glue Reader Tips | The Kitchn.

angry chicken: outdoor art fun. She combined some sheets of plywood and chalkboard paint to make giant outdoor chalkboards, I want one for myself!

Backyard Dinner Parties: Pretty Things to Hang from Trees | The Kitchn. I like the candles in jars hanging from the underside of the porch umbrella.

Technological Green Garden Party Lights | Apartment Therapy Unplggd. Ikea also has a few good solar powered outdoor lights this year.

Will Room and Board’s Jasper slipcovers work on Crate and Barrel’s Petrie couches? | Ask MetaFilter. The answer? Yes!

Going Paper Towel Free : Juniper Moon Farm. This makes me think it might be possible to eliminate paper towels around here too.

· comments [7] · 07-9-2010 · categories:links · the home ·

• 1 Seanna Lea // Jul 9, 2010 at 7:55 am

My husband and I mostly switched to cloth napkins earlier this year. We have paper towels only for making bacon in the microwave. If I knew of a good alternative for that, then I would stop buying them completely. I probably should just google it.

• 2 R.M. Koske // Jul 9, 2010 at 10:03 am

Seanna Lea –

I once saw a tip of using chopsticks laid on a plate in a grid to make a “rack” to lift bacon out of its own grease when microwaving it on a plate. I never tried it, and I think chopsticks would be a pain if you do much bacon or do it often, but maybe you can think of something in that direction? I’ve also heard of bacon done with one sheet of food-safe paper over a thicker pile of newspaper so the majority of the grease-catching is done with “recycled” paper.

Good luck!

• 3 Kelly // Jul 9, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I just don’t think I could give up paper towels. What would I clean up cat puke with? Not a towel that I would hold on to.

• 4 Miss Kathy // Jul 9, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I always buy 300+ thread count linens at discount places like Ross or Marshall’s ( Winners, in Canada) so that when my boyfriend inevitably rips his giant toenails through the sheets, I don’t have fit. Then I cut the sheets down into various sizes (tiny chihuahua vomit towelettes, wine glass spot removers, window wipes) on an old paper cutter and store them in the pantry according to size in re-purposed zippered basmati rice bags. I keep a small pail of soapy water in my laundry area to collect them once soiled. Once they are too skeevy to reuse, they get tossed in the compost.
    Same goes for old towels.

• 5 barrie // Jul 10, 2010 at 6:21 am

i’m always amazed that people still use paper napkins instead of cloth ones. i’ve had my cloth napkins for a decade and they still look like they did when i got them. the esty white alternatives would never last white for long, but they’re cheap, which is nice – i usually look for mine at garage sales. this makes me want to go on another hunt!

oh, and seanna lea: i saw this http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/paper-towel-alternative-the-skoy-cloth–096867
    and also read that paper bags and/or just keep one towel as your grease towel might be a good option for bacon. i haven’t tried any of these, but now you’ve inspired me!

thanks notmartha for showing me even more ways to reduce waste.

• 6 R.M. Koske // Jul 12, 2010 at 9:56 am

Kelly – I’m right there with you! (I use toilet paper and then flush the results)

But…if I used rags on a more regular basis, eventually I’d have some that had reached the end of their useful life. Those could be the cat-puke rags, since I was going to throw them away anyway.

• 7 Amy in StL // Jul 12, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I’ve always been amazed when I go to other people’s houses at the amount of paper towels they go through. I guess I grew up in a household where we used a dishrag and kitchen towels in the kitchen and sponges and a scrub brush in the bathroom. I use papertowels, but only when I spill something on the floor or to clean up raw meat juice. Oh, I used to use them in bulk to clean up after my aging pukey dog. Ew.