links: food

A Chow Life: Coming Home to Breakfast for Dinner. Savory Cornmeal Waffle & White Bean Chicken Chili, yum.

Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef: how to roast peppers. Reminder to self for reason to have gas stove.

Prudent Baby: DIY Sugar Cookie Cone. Via Edible Crafts.

Designer Neil Caldwell creates red, green, blue, (even purple!) BACON.

ThinkGeek :: Molecular Gastronomy Starter Kit. I want this for my birthday.

Taste Test: The Best Chocolate Chips for Chocolate Chip Cookies | Serious Eats.

Perfect Summer Reds : Not summer whites or summer rosés – CHOW.

The 2010 Jell-O Mold Competition Wobbles To and Fro : Hangover Observations : Eater National. Totally love, via Jordan Ferney.

Duh-Licious: Sugar Work: Caramel Spiral. Via Edible Crafts.

Ice Cream in a Jar Favors · Edible Crafts. Smart. And since canning jars are watertight this would be a great way to bring individual servings of ice cream to a picnic.

Regan’s Tonic: Add Dry Fly Gin For Summer’s Perfect Cocktail – Seattle Restaurants and Dining – Voracious. Palace Kitchen’s recipe for tonic water.

French in a Flash: Sweet Onion and Goat Cheese Tarts with Thyme | Serious Eats.

American Flag Jello · Edible Crafts.

· comments [7] · 07-6-2010 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 Seanna Lea // Jul 6, 2010 at 7:54 am

You and me both about the molecular gastronomy kit. I’ve been eyeing it forever, but haven’t been quite ready to take the plunge.

I made bacon ice cream this weekend. Funny thing for a vegetarian to do, but the meat eaters thought it was terrific.

• 2 jenney // Jul 6, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Roasted peppers: I’ve tried lots of methods for roasting peppers and my favorite is the Cooks Illustrated method, which can be done in a gas or electric oven.

They cut off the tops and bottoms of the peppers (cut out the stem and you can use both the top and bottom) and then slit the peppers down the side. Remove the seeds & membranes and press the pepper walls flat. Lay the top, bottom, and walls on a foil-lined, broiler-safe pan and broil on high until they’re blackened, about five minutes depending on your broiler. Remove them from the oven and lift the edges of the foil and seal the peppers in it like a package (if this sounds to burn-prone, dump them into a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap). Let them sit for 15 minutes to steam and then peel off the skins. Yum!

• 3 emily // Jul 6, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Unfortunate news that might interest you…

• 4 Maggi // Jul 6, 2010 at 9:34 pm

The Jell-O apple pie is INSANE but AWESOME. My two favorite things.

• 5 megan // Jul 7, 2010 at 9:39 am

Emily – Apparently they are doing this in an effort to bring down the price of housing, which I can understand. The apartment we stayed in would have be worth the equivalent of about 2 million dollars.

• 6 Kirsten // Jul 14, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Thanks so much for introducing me to A Chow Life. I’m loving it!

• 7 Shaheen {The Purple Foodie} // Jul 20, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I want the molecular gastronomy kit too! Excellent round-up of links in general.