links: beauty

Get Sassy Fit: Burn 300 Calories Fast.

Should I keep my feet flat when using the elliptical machine or should I faux-run like the guy using the machine next to me? | Ask MetaFilter.

Here comes the sun (so stock up on sunscreen) | The Working Closet | Work It, Mom!

Are the salon hair care products sold online and at drug and grocery stores the same products that are sold in salons? | Ask MetaFilter. The thread points us towards Are salon products in regular stores the same as those in salons? at The Beauty Brains.

pamie.com: I Saw a Lot of Ladyparts and Now I’m Soft. A story about a visit to a Korean spa that sounds like a nightmare to me. I have been informed.

· comments [19] · 07-1-2010 · categories:beauty · links ·

• 1 Zoe // Jul 1, 2010 at 6:39 am

Ooh, I had the same experience at a Turkish hammam in Morocco, except I did not emerge soft as whipped cream – I emerged with gravel rash. Literally. Like I’d be dragged every which way across a giant piece of sandpaper – raw. I spent days smothered in antiseptic cream hoping like crazy I wouldn’t pick up some nasty infection until it healed. Not an experience I will ever voluntarily repeat!

• 2 marielle // Jul 1, 2010 at 7:39 am

Thanks for the Korean spa link! A few of my friends *swear* by that place but to me, it sounds like the innermost circle of hell :)

• 3 herschel // Jul 1, 2010 at 7:49 am

the korean spa story made me laugh and laugh. if you have a korean mom or grandmother, the crazy scrubbing happened to you every time you were bathed as a child. SO MUCH SKIN WAS LOST.

• 4 Megan // Jul 1, 2010 at 7:51 am

For all things sunscreen, I relay on EWG’s sunscreen guide. Tells you which really work.

• 5 Megan // Jul 1, 2010 at 7:51 am

I not only relay them, I *rely* on them.

[...]

• 6 Seanna Lea // Jul 1, 2010 at 9:22 am

Wow. The Korean spa sounds like a trip alright. I’m not sure I need all of the ladyparts showered with that much abuse.

• 7 barrie // Jul 1, 2010 at 9:26 am

if you haven’t been to the olympus spa, in lynnwood or tacoma, to get their world famous scrub, you simply haven’t lived.

• 8 Minerva // Jul 1, 2010 at 10:12 am

I’m with Barrie. The Olympus Spa is an awesome place. I go every time I’m in Tacoma or Seattle, and occasionally drive up from Portland just to go there. Yes, you’re naked. So is everyone else. Yes, they scrub EVERYTHING. I was a little surprised by that the first time. But let me tell you gals, I am what would be politely called “plus-sized” and I have never felt self conscious there.

I think the problem is that people don’t know the etiquette, so it all seems strange.

Megan, if you ever need moral support from someone who can show you the ropes, call me! I’m always up for some scrubbing!

• 9 Allie G // Jul 1, 2010 at 10:18 am

I agree with barrie! It’s a little weird at first, but it’s totally worth working through some “issues” and doing it. And I’m speaking as the dork who wore my bathing suit the first time I went to the one in Tacoma thinking *that* would be hard enough to do. But of course bathing suits are not allowed so I had to really push myself out of that body shame paralysis. And I was so glad I did it! The resulting soft skin is amazing. Plus it’s just a much healthier attitude.

• 10 megan // Jul 1, 2010 at 10:32 am

It’s not the being naked thing I’m uncomfortable with, it’s actually the not knowing what the hell is going on. I need context!

• 11 GirlWithCurls // Jul 1, 2010 at 11:43 am

Thank you for introducing me to Pamela Ribon. I was having a terrible day, and that article made me smile and laugh. :-) I love your shared links, Megan.

• 12 megan // Jul 1, 2010 at 1:11 pm

GirlWithCurls – She’s one of the originals, I’ve been reading her blog since at least 2000 but I think she was around before then. She’s got three books out, well worth it!

• 13 Bubbles // Jul 1, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Yay Pamie love! Sometimes the internet seems like a very small place.

• 14 JennyAnn // Jul 2, 2010 at 11:14 am

the link about sunscreens was a little scary….
    please go here to read about safe and highly rated sunscreens, and also to read about why neutrogenia was given such poor marks for safety and credibility in sunscreen protection claims.

• 15 Dottie // Jul 2, 2010 at 11:28 am

When I was little, it was my job to scrub grandma’s back at the Korean spa. That might sound funny to other people, but it I think back on it fondly. This is something that is just a way of life in Korea.

Now that Korean spas are more popular with a more diverse clientele, many of them can walk you through a visit and even instruct you on which rooms to use in what order.

• 16 jo-anne // Jul 2, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Is it crazy that I wish I could try that spa?!

• 17 Erica // Jul 3, 2010 at 7:10 am

Some of my friends have been RAVING about that spa in Tacoma, but as soon as I heard more about it I was like “No way.” I am such a wuss. I’ll totally cop to that.

• 18 Clearly Composed // Jul 3, 2010 at 11:21 am

Great links…and I always had a feeling that shampoo was the same as in salons!

• 19 Miss Kathy // Jul 4, 2010 at 10:46 am

The Olympus Spa is The Happiest Place in the World , I have seen women of every size and color relaxing and replenishing there.

The one in Lynnwood is swanky compared to the one in So. Tacoma but costs the same. If you are at all squeamish about the unfamiliar, I recommend Lynnwood.

Grab a few close lady-friends, your favorite creams and conditioners, a good book or magazine and plan to spend an entire afternoon or evening. Three hours is scarcely enough!

There’s a delicious Korean snack bar inside and a lounge area with foot massage machines. In addition to the wet and dry saunas, there are various heated rooms that are milder but just as muscle-relaxing. Don’t forget to splash yourself with mugwort tea from the trough in the middle of the wet room! Napping is encouraged.

As far as treatments go, the body scrub is where it’s at. Your special friend will not be able to keep his or her hands off your slick-as-an-inner-tube skin. It’s one of those self-pampering things that can be directly appreciated by others, like lingerie.

If you are broke and can only afford admission, be sure to buy a korean scrubbing cloth to give yourself the same effect.