I made another batch of infused gin, this time using a recipe from Gourmet magazine. I like it a lot more that the first try. This one didn’t call for orange zest, which made a big difference for me since I find orange zest overwhelms everything it comes into contact with.
Ian’s Gin Recipe
(with some very small changes by NotMartha.org)
- 1 (750ml) bottle of inexpensive vodka (I ran mine through a Brita filter a few times)
- 2 Tbsp juniper berries
- 3/4 tsp coriander seed
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp fennel seed
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 2 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf, torn into pieces (I used dried)
- 1 (3-inch) sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 (2-inch-long) fresh lemon or lime peel (I used lemon and would avoid lime, then again I say this based on the single time I tried a lime infused gin and didn’t find I liked it)
- 1 (1-inch) sprig fresh lavender (I used about a teaspoon of dried culinary lavender)
Infuse juniper in the vodka overnight. Add remaining spices and herbs in the morning and let infuse all day. When you get home from work, strain out the botanicals and start making your favorite gin cocktails.