links: food

Giant Popsicles at Kookouts, made by Tom Nardone (whom you might know from Extreme Pumpkins). I love these simple ideas for giant cookout foods, but especially these oversized popsicles.

The Top Five Hotel Bars In Seattle – Seattle Restaurants and Dining – Voracious.

Seattle Best Pretzel Outside Pennsylvania – Oma Stein’s pretzels – Best Of Seattle – Seattle Weekly. Must be sure to seek out these pretzels soon.

Vodka Watermelon! How to Fill a Fruit with Booze Sweet Paul | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn. Somehow I have never encountered a vodka watermelon in person. This lack will be corrected shortly.

Celebration Cakes | smitten kitchen. I think I want to bake a cake, I’m peering at this page as inspiration.

15 Essential Dips and Spreads for Summer Parties Recipe Roundup | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn.

What does cook until thick mean? « Baking Bites. A visual guide to what coating the back of a spoon looks like, something I never learned.

· comments [8] · 06-9-2010 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 Lauren // Jun 9, 2010 at 3:27 am

Ah, the vodka watermelon…. Back in my foolish college days my husband (then-boyfriend) and I tried this, only we were stupid and bought gin for some reason.

Cut a hole, pour the gin, wait a few hours – slice!

It smelled like Christmas. Bleh. We ate it anyway.

• 2 Karen // Jun 9, 2010 at 4:25 am

Back in my own foolish college days, I filled a watermelon with Myer’s Dark Rum. And then filled myself with the rum-soaked watermelon. That was more than 25 years ago, and I’ve never had rum again since. Talk about too much of a good thing!

• 3 Elle Sees // Jun 9, 2010 at 6:34 am

I love your links. There’s always at least 1 one them that I bookmark!

• 4 Manders // Jun 9, 2010 at 6:42 am

Love those giant Popsicles!

My parents and their church youth group once filled a (new, very scrubbed down) plastic garbage can (the big kind you put on the corner) with Kool-Aid and got a McDonald’s to let them use their walk-in freezer. 2×4 stick. It froze all the way after a couple of days. Apparently this made the local news. :)

• 5 Amy // Jun 9, 2010 at 10:12 am

I made this celebration cake last week for my boyfriend’s b-day: http://smittenkitchen.com/2006/11/ganached-guinness-goodness/

It was AMAZING (and easy too).

• 6 Amy in StL // Jun 9, 2010 at 3:04 pm

It’s interesting the types of cooking tips you don’t really learn except from your mom. Or from super helpful pictures on the interwebs. I made my mom let me help her make jam several times so that I know what it looks like when it’s finished. There’s no way a book can teach you those things.

• 7 Pam // Jun 9, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Great reads and links. I have to try out giant Popsicle and vodka watermelon, sounds cool!

• 8 amyp // Jun 10, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I’ve been waiting for a reason to make this:

Father’s Day? Thanks for the reminder.