links: beauty and shopping

Weighing the Evidence on Exercise – NYTimes.com.

My New Undereye Concealer Crush :Hair Thursday.

Benefit The POREfessional. Promises to minimize the appearance of pores even when worn alone, I might test this one.

Intelligence Games For Dogs.

Looking for an attractive, appropriate skirt | Ask MetaFilter. Great suggestions for places to go for inspiration, as well as where to shop and what sort of fit works for a curvy figure.

Where to shop for Men’s clothes? | Ask MetaFilter. It goes on: “I’m not 21 and don’t want to wear skinny jeans with plaid Vans. But I’m not 40 and do not want to dress in the JCPenney uniform of khakis and golf shirt.” I’m marking this one for Scott since, obviously, I’m not a 30-something male.

· comments [10] · 06-8-2010 · categories:beauty · links · shopping ·

• 1 Carrie // Jun 8, 2010 at 6:01 am

A note on the men’s clothes- one person in metafilter mentioned this, but I would encourage you or Scott to check out Martin + Osa. It’s pricey, but comfortably hip for men and women. We don’t have one that near us, so my husband pretty much just shops at the Gap. Or Target. (The Converse line there usually has some cool shirts…)

• 2 Elle Sees // Jun 8, 2010 at 6:08 am

I have that concealer and it doesn’t work that great on me BUT I need that PORE makeup!! And I love that outblush blog.

• 3 susan // Jun 8, 2010 at 12:45 pm

The subject of skirts keeps popping up in posts — have you considered sewing your own? There’s a sew-along starting over at SewMamaSew
    I’m not affiliated, I just thought you might be interested.

• 4 megan // Jun 8, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Susan – Thanks, I have been making my own, I finally broke down and did it. I have about five a-line skirts and I’m going to take on a straight one soon.

• 5 Seanna Lea // Jun 8, 2010 at 1:41 pm

The skirt question always bugs me. I have a wedding I’m going to in September, and I’ve been wracking my head to figure out what to wear. The last formal thing I went to (where I actually dressed more formally) involved a dress that is now at least 4 sizes too big. If you see any thing for formal dresses and post it, you will be a life saver!

• 6 megan // Jun 8, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Seanna Lea – Dresses for weddings are difficult. My one rule of thumb: don’t buy a dress you also need to buy a specialty bra for. I went guest-of-wedding dress shopping recently and it’s amazing how hard it is to find a modest, not-shiny dress that is neither black nor white. Is it a daytime or evening wedding?

I for one wish full skirted dresses were more common, it’s so much more fun at a formal event if you’re not worried about panty lines :)

This is a dress I spotted this morning that I like, note that it’s meant for larger sizes but I love it:

Nordstrom has a lot of dresses on sale right now, lots are nice without being shiny or showy.

• 7 gaga // Jun 8, 2010 at 2:19 pm

If it isn’t too nosy, I’d be interested to know how your weight loss program has been going since you posted that fabulous long post on your success several months back. (The link to the NYT exercise/diet article triggered my curiousity.) I had also lost a significant amount of weight in the last year, so I was especially interested in your journey. Are you content with your current weight, or are you still working on losing more?

• 8 megan // Jun 8, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Gaga – Not too nosy at all. I’ve been thinking about doing a follow up post on how I’ve been doing. I’m planning on losing some more this summer. Thank you for prompting me!

• 9 Liz // Jun 10, 2010 at 8:39 am

I don’t know how much the Benefit pore minimizer is, but L’Oreal has a new “studio expert” product that is amazing! I’ve been using it instead of tinted moisturizer, and it makes my skin smooth, minimizes the look of pores, and somehow reduces the look of dark circles and redness. I say give it a shot!

• 10 shana // Jun 10, 2010 at 1:21 pm

We’ve bought several of these treat puzzles for our dog – he’s a beagle and he just eats through the plastic/rubber to get to the treats inside – very expensive and I’m not sure what that says about his smarts – maybe he’s a genius! ;)