exciting video game stuff

Like playing video games? Here are a few things you might be interested in.

[Portal logo]

Thing #1: I’m sure you’ve already heard this but just in case I’m going to let you know that right now Portal is free, gloriously free, for Mac and PC through May 24th. This is a promotion by Steam to help announce that they can now deliver games to Macs. If you’ve never played Portal I encourage you to do so. Go on. (Portal 2 is coming this winter, I’m so very excited.)

[Puzzle Bots logo]

Thing #2: Puzzle Bots by Erin Ryan, aka Lively Ivy is out and available to buy. This is a retro style adventure game where you control a set of tiny robots. It’s terribly fun (I’ll post more once I’ve played further), but you can read more about it here and there is a review at Jay Is Games.

[Humble Indie Bundle logo]

Thing #3: Consider buying the Humble Indie Bundle. It is six games – World of Goo, Aquaria, Gish, Lugara, Penumbra Overture and Samorost 2 – all from indie developers offered without DRM and at whichever price you’d like to pay. You even get to decide where your payment goes, charity, developers, or a combination of both. All games are offered for Mac and PC. I bought the bundle specifically for Samorost 2 and Aquaria. (p.s. If you find the combat bits of Aquaria frustrating email me, I have a simple fix for you.)

· comments [8] · 05-14-2010 · categories:misc ·

• 1 deb // May 14, 2010 at 8:40 am

Hi Megan–thanks for your posts on gaming. I’m a girl who likes games (I especially enjoy a nice arcade first person shooter once in awhile) and finding games that suit my taste is always tough, but the types of games you like is right down my alley. I also don’t know any other girls who enjoy some gaming, so you are a precious resource to me! Thanks again.

• 2 megan // May 14, 2010 at 9:01 am

Deb – We girls have got to stick together :) I also really like the Splinter Cell games, and I just ordered Psychonauts, the first BioShock and Borderlands (that one is for Scott and I to play together). If you like exploration/maze/puzzle games I recommend Knytt and Knytt Stories, both free. Very far from a FPS but really really well done. I admit I’m usually a generation behind by the time I get around to playing games, I’m still playing Zelda Ocarina of Time on a Gamecube!

• 3 Gwen // May 14, 2010 at 9:50 am

Thanks for the link! I’ve been wanting to play Portal.

• 4 Lindsay // May 14, 2010 at 10:05 am

Oh! I heart World of Goo (included in the bundle you mention). It was an odd (for me) impulse buy from Target quite a while ago. I may just have to check out the other ones. Thanks for the links! :)

• 5 pam // May 14, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Just want to say ditto to Deb. I love videogames too, but I’ve long stopped reading most gaming blogs because it’s just.. so male. I hate that I think that, especially because I love FPS over anything else, so it’s not like I’m looking for a gaming blog that only reviews Barbie games or something. It’s just the perspective and voice is so male and don’t even get me started on the comments. ;) (Sorry for the rant).

I love your posts on gaming and iPhone apps. You give just the right amount of detail and explanation. I always get excited and can’t wait to get home to start downloading. :) Thanks Megan!

• 6 Marianne // May 15, 2010 at 5:48 am

“There will be cake.”

I love Portal and I’m longing for Portal2 to come out. And World of Goo is just great fun.

I so need to check out all your other suggestions. You seem to have my kind of taste.

• 7 marnie // May 15, 2010 at 10:58 am

Yay! Yay! I was just going to buy World of Goo, but I couldn’t decide whether I wanted it for my iMac or my PC netbook. Now I can have it for both! I love this post so much.

• 8 maria // May 15, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Portal was so fun. My husband and I were up until 4am playing it the night we got Orange Box.
    If you don’t know about GameFly, you might like it. We have played so many more games than we’d otherwise be able to. And it allows us to check out games that we might not otherwise. A favorite of mine now is Little King’s Story for the Wii. It’s a lot like Pikmin (which I’ve only sampled), but more endearing.