links: shopping

Looking for a reliable toaster | Ask MetaFilter. I too have given up on toasters, but continuously am looking for a good one.

Gadgets: Sil-Pin, the Silicone Nonstick Rolling Pin by Fiesta | Serious Eats.

Whole-grain bread: healthy for us, death for appliances | Ask MetaFilter. Asking for a mixer that can stand up to the challenge of being used mostly to knead whole grain bread dough.

Digital Home Thoughts: The Great Photo Book Round-Up Review: Who Makes The Best Photo Books?. Via Daddy Types.

· comments [9] · 05-12-2010 · categories:links · shopping ·

• 1 Seanna Lea // May 12, 2010 at 6:25 am

I really like the idea of the rolling pin, but I already have 2 full size rolling pins and I think a small one for fondant and gum paste. I really cannot justify another pin…

• 2 julie.k. // May 12, 2010 at 7:15 am

I second the metafilter vote for the dualit toaster. I have the 2 slice – bought 10 years ago on sale @ WS, gets used multiple times a day still works like new. I have no problem spending over $100 for a toaster if I know it is the last one I’ll ever have to buy.

• 3 julie.k. // May 12, 2010 at 7:19 am

whoa. I was just poking around on the internets, wondering what a dualit costs these days (I believe mine was $120 10 years ago) and saw one on clearance for $86 at wal-shmart online! wow! Nice gray color too.

• 4 Alexis // May 12, 2010 at 9:50 am

I love my toaster oven. It is a Emerson that I bought at Target. I had the older version for about 10 years and just had to replace it. Works like a charm.

• 5 Carrie Anne // May 12, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I could not live without my toaster oven but I’ve never had one that hasn’t crapped out on me in some way during the first year. Maybe I just haven’t spent enough money but it seems like a couple months of use and they all heat unevenly: warming one area then scorching the next.

• 6 Juliet // May 12, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I just discovered that if you have a library card, you can access Consumer Reports website through the library’s subscription online. You could check there for some good info. To access it, you search the card catalog online and then click on the title. There’s a link there to the CR website. Hope it helps!

• 7 Paola // May 12, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Dualit, Dualit, Dualit. Ours makes the most incredible toast and it’s technically very simple so not much to go wrong.

No other toaster looks as good either.

• 8 ammie // May 12, 2010 at 4:04 pm

The Bosch is the only way to go with a mixer! I’ve had mine for 8 years with no problems. My mom & aunts have had theirs for at least 30 years and my sister uses my late great grandmother’s (maybe 40 years old or more). All make bread several times a week & have never had a problem. I would recommend buying both the stainless and plastic bowls.

• 9 Amy in StL // May 14, 2010 at 11:41 am

I have a copper finish toaster by Oster that has worked great for the last four years. I love that it goes with the antique copper pots in my kitchen and I double love the frozen button since I live alone and keep leftover bread in the freezer.