thing I like to cook: Simply Recipe’s Meatballs with Ricotta

[Meatballs with Ricotta in Tomato Sauce]

The first time we made Meatballs with Ricotta in Tomato Sauce from Simply Recipes we knew it was a keeper. These are not too intimidating, doesn’t require sauteing or a food processor or the chopping of onions (all things I like but consistently find take more time to do and/or clean and/or stop crying and fix my mascara than I expect), and the recipe makes enough to feed two of us for four or five meals.

[spices waiting to be included]

Each time I make this I have not left myself enough time for the final step – adding chopped tomatoes to the pan the meatballs have been cooking in and baking it for a long time. Though, I bet that makes a killer tomato sauce. Instead we roast the meatballs and throw them in with sauce from a jar (I know I know, but like I said, I don’t plan ahead) and freeze the rest. To thaw I put some tomato sauce in a large saucepan, throw five or six meatballs into the pan, cover and simmer until everything is hot. It makes for an incredibly yummy and fast weeknight dinner.

[cubed bread]

The ingredients are a combination of Italian sausage, ground pork, cubed bread, ricotta and spices. This makes for meatballs that aren’t too dense but they do hold together well enough to spear on the end of a fork and wind some spaghetti without crumbling.

[Meatballs with Ricotta in Tomato Sauce, taken last year]

· comments [12] · 05-3-2010 · categories:food ·

• 1 Amy // May 3, 2010 at 2:34 am

Mmmm I love meatballs – my Dad runs his own free-range pork farm, and I have to say homemade meatballs win every time. Ricotta in the meatballs sounds DELISH :D

• 2 caroline // May 3, 2010 at 2:51 am

yumm, looks so good. i am a huge fan of ricotta. mmmmm.

• 3 Kathy M // May 3, 2010 at 2:51 am

Looks yummy, thanks!

• 4 Alicia // May 3, 2010 at 5:10 am

Thanks for sharing. I have a meatball recipe that I love, but I’m always on the lookout for new ones.

• 5 Seanna Lea // May 3, 2010 at 8:47 am

I have a vegetarian meat ball recipe I use, but I think I would like it even better with ricotta in it!

• 6 herschel // May 3, 2010 at 9:17 am

looks and sounds delightful — and easy!

megan, what are those two puffy round thingies on the side, in the first photo?

• 7 Kate // May 3, 2010 at 9:42 am

I’m definitely trying these.

The recipe calls for prosciutto or pancetta. Do you include that, or skip it? Your post just mentions the pork and Italian sausage.

• 8 megan // May 3, 2010 at 10:06 am

Kate – I made the recipe as printed, I mentioned some of the ingredients to point out why the
    meatballs are not too dense.

• 9 Carrie Anne // May 3, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I’ve never had the guts to make spaghetti and meatballs before. I was scared of them tasting like mini-meatloaves. My husband would die from happiness if I made these.

• 10 ShepherdWannabe // May 4, 2010 at 6:04 am

Those look delicious! I’ll definitely be making these. Thanks for sharing!

• 11 tracy // May 4, 2010 at 12:52 pm

megan! your pictures are gorgeous! I especially love the last one. These look fantastic also…my coleslaw lunch is SOO not cutting it right now.

• 12 Recipe of the week - Stuffed Shells in a Snap | Coffee Break with Liz and Kate // May 26, 2011 at 7:47 pm

[...] thing I like to cook: Simply Recipe’s Meatballs with Ricotta (notmartha.org) If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed! Print [...]