Our First Anniversary

blue shoes

Today is our one year anniversary of being married, so last night Scott and I made ourselves look presentable, put on our wedding shoes and went to have dinner at Canlis.

dessert plates with Happy 1st Anniversary written out in chocolate sauce

How sweeet is this? They took the care not only to ask about what we were celebrating that night, but also to write a special message on our dessert plates. The long, thin candles that adorned the plates were anchored in a chunk of pineapple, I must keep that tip in mind.

a cheery red kitchen timer

Scott looked up the table of traditional and modern anniversary gifts and went with modern, a clock. Or in this case, a kitchen timer meant specifically for me to keep on my desk to help with all that toast burning I’ve been doing lately. It’s even red to match my office. Thank you sweetie, it’s perfect. And it’s already saved breakfast.

· comments [33] · 04-21-2010 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 Jennie // Apr 21, 2010 at 11:16 am

Happy Anniversary, you two!!!

• 2 Tasha // Apr 21, 2010 at 11:19 am

Happy anniversary! I loooove your shoes!

• 3 Regina // Apr 21, 2010 at 11:25 am

Hi there.
    I’ve been following your blog for awhile and like it very much. Is there a story I missed behind why you always post pictures of your feet or is it just a quirky thing you do? I find them quite charming.
    Cheers.

• 4 megan // Apr 21, 2010 at 11:36 am

Thanks everyone!

Regina – It’s not a specific thing, for the Paris photos it was a thing, most of which I didn’t use. But here it’s just to actually show our shoes.

• 5 jen wheat // Apr 21, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Canlis—nice work. I’ve lived in Seattle for 6 years and have always wanted to go to Canlis. Did it live up to all the hype?

Happy Anniversary!

• 6 megan // Apr 21, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Jen – It did, the service was excellent and the food was very, very good.

• 7 kelly // Apr 21, 2010 at 12:11 pm

What a very thoughtful anniversary gift! And dessert looks amazing!

• 8 Nichole // Apr 21, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Happy anniversary! Those are great shoes.

• 9 onelittlebird // Apr 21, 2010 at 12:38 pm

congratulations! – a year?! where did that go? It only seems like yesterday I was reading all your pre-planning stuff. *faint*

• 10 Katie K // Apr 21, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Oh wow! Happy 1 year! I also went to Canlis for the first time this Monday. We weren’t celebrating, we were taking advantage of restaurant week.

• 11 Abby // Apr 21, 2010 at 1:31 pm

A year already! Congrats! (By the way – long-time reader, but did I miss the photos? Of course you may have not shared them…)

• 12 Hope // Apr 21, 2010 at 1:52 pm

This is unrelated to your post, but I am convinced that you live on my street (with no real evidence). Anyway, Happy Anniversary! I love your present :)

• 13 Little Gray Pixel // Apr 21, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Congratulations! I love your wedding shoes, btw. Some of the “modern” wedding gifts are bizarre. Why musical instruments on your 24th anni? Who makes this stuff up!?

• 14 mixette // Apr 21, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Congratulations on your anniversary!

Laughing because the timer feature on the iPhone has saved me from many a burned steak on the grill. Your present is such a sweet combination of knowing *you* and working with the sometimes bizarre traditions.

• 15 TexasRed // Apr 21, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Congratulations!!!

• 16 Jeannette // Apr 21, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Happy Anniversary!! Can’t believe it’s already been 1 year. It seems as though I was reading about your pre-wedding excitement just yesterday!!

• 17 barrie // Apr 21, 2010 at 5:25 pm

we went last night as well – for the $25 menu (although it ended up being way more since i was the only one who got that menu). we had the same reaction: excellent service – it was like they were synchronized swimmers and the food was real good. i’m not sure it was $$$$ good, but as an overall experience we both thought it lived up to the hype. so weird that you went on the same night. well, not really since we don’t know eachother, but these blog thingies makes it sure seem like you do.

• 18 Beth // Apr 21, 2010 at 6:47 pm

I LOVE your shoes! And I’m still waiting to hear more about that skirt you made and wore in Paris and showed up in a picture of your shoes….patiently waiting…
    and Happy Anniversary, too!

• 19 regan // Apr 21, 2010 at 7:34 pm

aww, how cute is the pic of you and Scott?!? So cute!

happy anniversary!

• 20 megan // Apr 21, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Beth – Don’t worry, the skirt post is coming along.

Thanks everybody!

• 21 Heather // Apr 21, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Happy anniversary! I love the timer as a gift. It is a cute timer too! Someone has good taste!

• 22 herschel // Apr 22, 2010 at 7:11 am

how wonderful! congratulations on your first anniversary — the first of many to come!

• 23 d&d // Apr 22, 2010 at 7:57 am

so cute
    and i HIGHLY DOUBT you ever burn toast.

• 24 Manders // Apr 22, 2010 at 7:57 am

Happy anniversary! By the way, the bees on your shoes are adorable (I almost wrote “killer” there…heh).

• 25 Jessi // Apr 22, 2010 at 8:26 am

Happy anniversary! I love the idea of wearing your wedding shoes for the occasion, I will definitely be stealing that idea for ours in October. I started reading your blog right around the time you got married last year, so this must be our 1 year too ;)

• 26 Ellie Di // Apr 22, 2010 at 8:49 am

Ah, sweet love. (swoon) May your second year be full of wonderful awesomeness. <3

• 27 Celia // Apr 22, 2010 at 12:30 pm

aww so sweet! happy anniversary!

• 28 Butzeballchen // Apr 22, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Happy Anniversary to one of my favorite bloggers! Love, love, love those shoes.

• 29 Design Mom // Apr 23, 2010 at 8:58 am

Congratulations! Wearing your wedding shoes was a brilliant idea.

• 30 The Frugal Hostess // Apr 23, 2010 at 5:17 pm

We have the same anniversary, and we did the same thing – except, you know, here in Atlanta. We do the traditional anniversary gifts, kinda; this year I gave FruHubs a leather card, last year he surprised me with a fancy dinner inspired by the cotton club.

• 31 southern hostess // Apr 24, 2010 at 11:06 am

Love your shoes! And I’m totally making Canlis reservations for my anniversary next month.

• 32 Christina // Apr 25, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Aw, your husband is very sweet.

• 33 ms.a // May 14, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Congratulations on your anniversary!

Me and mine celebrated nine years in March. We went to a fancy restaurant and they asked us what we were celebrating and they wrote “Happy Anniversary” on our dessert plates, too. They even made custom menus for us with “Happy Anniversary” on them, signed by the whole staff. Only, for some reason he told them it was 10 years when it was only 9! Oh well.