Cracked Emmer Hot Cereal

steam rising from hot cereal

This is my new favorite breakfast, an over easy egg on top of some hot cracked emmer cereal. This came from Bluebird Grain Farms here in Washington, and I’ve been seeing their name a lot. Thanks to their presence at my nearby natural market I’ve gotten hooked on farro (rhymes with tomorrow). According to Bluebird Grain Farms it’s called farro in Italy and they call it Emmer farro. When cooked in it’s whole berry form it’s yummy and satisfying to chew, and I really like it in the cold salads offered by our market (Scott and I call them “hippie salads”, but in a loving way).

I’m going to have to try some of the recipes on the Bluebird Grain Farms site. Especially Bluebird Grains Emmer Salad Caramelized Onion & Fennel and Emmer Farro Salad with Fresh Garden Vegetables.

See also: Alterna-grains from Small Farms at Chow, which offers this tip: “Fun Fact: An easy way to incorporate more hearty whole grains like wheat berries or oats into your diet is to soak them overnight. They cook in just as few minutes as opposed to an hour.”

· comments [11] · 04-16-2010 · categories:food ·

• 1 jennifer // Apr 16, 2010 at 7:33 am

that picture is awesome! i love the steam coming off the top. nom.

• 2 megan // Apr 16, 2010 at 7:55 am

Thanks, I was so pleased that I was able to capture the steam that I took a few pictures and was thinking about stitching them together into a little animation. Ultimately though I’m lazy :)

• 3 JMO // Apr 16, 2010 at 9:30 am

Another easy way to cook whole grains (wheat berries, oat groats, etc.) is to boil them for a few minutes and then pour the lot into a wide-mouth Stanley thermos to cook overnight. Google “thermos cooking” — there used to be just one y2k site talking about this, but the method seems to have gained some mainstream popularity in recent years.

I’m going to have to try some of this farro stuff now. :)

• 4 Kelly // Apr 16, 2010 at 9:31 am

So is it sort of like oatmeal? but wheaty?

• 5 Jennifer // Apr 16, 2010 at 11:48 am

I agree, that steam coming out of the bowl makes the picture! I use steel cut oats and they are in the same category, and often take 20 minutes or more to cook. Not so if you soak them overnight! :)

• 6 Jen // Apr 16, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I love the visible steam rising in the photos :D

• 7 Alicia // Apr 18, 2010 at 10:30 am

Wow, this looks good. I remember back in the day before we knew so much about cholesterol and high blood pressure; my mom used to make my dad a breakfast of 4 pancakes slathered in butter with two fried eggs on top. I was always disgusted as a kid to see all that yellow yolk mixed in with the syrup, but now it sounds soooo good. This looks great. Great pic of the steam.

• 8 Thinking ahead… « What we ate // Apr 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm

[...] Cracked Emmer Hot Cereal // http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2010/04/16/cracked-emmer-hot-cereal/ [...]

• 9 tobias cooks! // Apr 18, 2010 at 11:41 pm

I have never heared of cracked emmer cereal. Look good though.

• 10 Shelley // Apr 21, 2010 at 9:22 pm

How perfectly timely, as I just bought some this weekend too at Picnic on Greenwood Avenue. I tried it as cereal yesterday and agree – yum! My 13 month old daughter loved it too. I added a few dried cherries and a sprinkle of brown sugar because that is the way we roll around here, but it was fine without accoutrements. Can’t wait to try it other ways.

• 11 Sandra Henderson // Apr 25, 2010 at 1:10 pm

If you like this, you’d LOVE the water stone ground grits from the AGRIRAMA near where I live in Tifton, GA. I live on Cumberland Island National Seashore and mail order them, since I have no bridges to the mainland, stores, mail, nothing but wild horses……
    So, I know you can mail order them. You just rinse them well to remove the chaffe and boil the dickens out of them in salted water and add lots of butter! You can eat while hot w/eggs on top or make them into cheese grits and/or turn leftovers (if there are any) into a pan and it’s like slicing polenta w/cooled….
    ENJOY!