links: misc

When To Stop With BSG? – Battlestar Galactica – io9.

Hamster-sized Caesar Salad — Cute Overload.

An Entirely Other Day: Preadolescent Panopticon. This reminded me of Neal Stephenson’s Diamond Age.

Still Married After All These Months | Nothing But Bonfires. I feel the same way, after being together for 11 years, something small but fantastic changed after we were married.

Cool Tools: Stretching.

Area 51 vets break silence: Sorry, but no space aliens or UFOs | Seattle Times Newspaper.

The Coachella Review: The Payoff Will Be in Good Karma by Steve Almond. I already lost the place that pointed me towards it, but it’s a good read about payment for writing by Steve Almond that takes apart the idea of contributing for free based on the spirit of the project.

How to guarantee your luggage won’t be lost or stolen next time you fly: – Barking up the wrong tree. Via ifindkarma

· comments [6] · 04-9-2010 · categories:links · misc ·

• 1 Kate F. // Apr 9, 2010 at 5:23 am

Re. the marriage post, I totally agree. We’d been together 7 years by the time we got married; I was surprised by the shift in emotions (even once we were engaged, which REALLY shocked me). Who knew we could be even more committed? I certainly didn’t, but 3.5 years in, it just keeps getting better.

• 2 Kim // Apr 9, 2010 at 7:21 am

Love the Steve Almond article. Why should the contributors work for free when the editors are making substantial money?

• 3 Breda // Apr 9, 2010 at 8:43 am

I’ve traveled with my handgun a few times now – the process of declaring a firearm is quite simple, your luggage gets special handling, and you’re sure it’ll be waiting for you when you get off the plane. Pretty great!

• 4 Tina // Apr 9, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Thank you Steve Almond, beautifully written! Good karma doesn’t pay the electric bill.

• 5 barrie // Apr 9, 2010 at 3:05 pm

my disappointment in the marriage blog is the same disappointment i get with everyone’s explanation of marriage compared to non-marriage – it just feels different/better/vague. cohabitating with my boyfriend for a few years now, who knows where our future will be but he’s already my best friend/lover/fighter/confidant/biggest supporter – so does this mean if we ever did decide to get married he’d be my best friender/loverer/fighterer/confidanter/biggest supporterer?

coming from the flip side of this married spectrum, i guess i just didn’t like her article because it told me nothing. as a writer you (not you in particular) should be able to describe that different feeling, not just say it’s different.

• 6 WanderChow // Apr 11, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Regarding BSG, I feel strongly that if you watched the mini-series prior to the show, and then you watched “33″ and “Water,” you could just stop there. The tension was great, there was no convoluted mumbo-jumbo. I became really disgusted when I found out the writers didn’t do a long, planned out show, and in the end they just kept pulling baskets of crazy out whenever they felt like it. Compared to the excellence of the episodes I mention above, the finale was just a gigantic letdown. GAH!!