Portland, I love your food trucks

a fried pie, opened to show pot roast and cheese inside

A few weekends ago Scott and I took a very quick trip to Portland primarily to sit on a West Elm couch to see if we liked it. (We did, but sadly it’s too big to fit in our living room.) While we were there the weather was good and we were able to eat two meals outdoors, I think this for me marked the real start to Spring. I didn’t get pictures of lunch, pulled pork and bratwurst, but we were very happy to stumble upon a pod of food carts after walking past some crowded restaurants. We sought out some Whiffies Fried Pies the next morning and they, along with shared poutine from Potato Champion, were the perfect hangover cure for a night spent celebrating warm evening weather on the hotel’s rooftop bar (oy). I will also point out that Whiffies and Potato Champion have vegan menus as well, just let them know and your food will be done in their vegan fryers. (p.s. Take cash.)

really good poutine, fries with gravy and cheese curds on top

Should you find yourself in a similar impromptu Portland trip I will point you towards the Food Carts Portland website, they provide very helpful reviews of everything and even break down the carts by location.

· comments [19] · 04-7-2010 · categories:food · travel ·

• 1 caroline // Apr 7, 2010 at 6:14 am

yum. i would love to try that poutin truck. when i was in portland last summer, i really wanted to stop by the food trucks, but we didn’t have time to fit that into our trip. but we did eat at a really yummy vegan-friendly restaurant called tinshed. mmm.

• 2 Mary // Apr 7, 2010 at 7:25 am

One of the reasons we love Portland!

• 3 Daniel // Apr 7, 2010 at 7:38 am

“Whiffies” was misspelled a couple times in your article!

• 4 megan // Apr 7, 2010 at 8:06 am

Daniel – Oops, thanks.

• 5 Kathrinw // Apr 7, 2010 at 8:30 am

Hey Megan…what hotel in Portland has a rooftop bar? I’m going in a few weeks!

• 6 Jen // Apr 7, 2010 at 9:02 am

The food trucks are amazing! My workers who live in Portland told me that a lot of the truckers were started by people who became unemployed over the past couple of years. If you work downtown, you can order food truck food for delivery!

We need to work on this in Seattle!

• 7 Jen // Apr 7, 2010 at 9:13 am

I meant coworkers! I need more coffee.

Cheers.

• 8 Carolyn // Apr 7, 2010 at 9:22 am

The absolute BEST CART EVER.

• 9 megan // Apr 7, 2010 at 9:55 am

Kathrinw – We were at The Nines (http://thenines.com) and when I say rooftop it was maybe 14 stories. The restaurant, Departure, faces the mountain I think, but there are two outdoor lounge areas with seating that face views of other buildings. It was fun, and we didn’t pay close attention when booking the hotel so it was a nice surprise to find we arrived.

• 10 Seanna Lea // Apr 7, 2010 at 9:59 am

Gods, I would love the option of decent food cart food that was vegetarian. I’m not sure it exists in Boston!

• 11 megan // Apr 7, 2010 at 10:06 am

Seanna Lea – I was just discussing the difference in East vs West Coast food carts with somebody yesterday. I’m not sure about LA and Portland, but here in Seattle food trucks have only recently been allowed again so the new ones that are appearing are individualistic and taking inspiration from the ones further down the coast. When I was in New York it seemed like lunch trucks and hot dog vendors (with the occasional pretzel or roasted nuts) were all you could find. I wonder if it’s a cart franchise ease thing?

• 12 Kickpleat // Apr 7, 2010 at 11:21 am

We were in Portland in January and it was a really cold weekend. Nevertheless, we ate at both Super Champion & Wiffles fried pies. And we had a great breakfast sandwich at The Good Egg truck on Mississippi Ave. Long live food carts! I just wish Vancouver would get on the bandwagon.

• 13 dieselboi // Apr 7, 2010 at 12:14 pm

And Megan, Portland’s Food Carts love you too. Thanks for spreading the gospel. We’ll visit our friends to the north very soon.

• 14 Karine // Apr 7, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Poutine is my home province’s contribution to the culinary world. And yes, it is the perfect 3am, bars are closing meal.

• 15 Megan // Apr 7, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Nothing like a 2 a.m. poutine and nutella crepe after a night on the town :) We are so lucky!

• 16 justcooknyc // Apr 8, 2010 at 5:02 am

this is great… i’m going to be in portland in a coupla weeks

• 17 Marie // Apr 8, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I wonder how poutine taste in the us (shame on me, ‘never tried it)… but the packaging of this one’s great :) you wouldn’t see such a particular attention for details in Quebec i guess!

• 18 Sarah // Apr 8, 2010 at 8:23 pm

You hit up two of my favorite carts! They are dangerously close to my house. Ever been to the battle of the carts (or whatever it’s called) in Seattle? It’s the PDX and Seattle carts and they come together for yummy harmony.

• 19 Gwen // May 9, 2010 at 2:02 am

the fried pies look just like curry puffs! go google it!