the books on my desk right now

a pile of books, listed below

Looking at this reminds me that I seem to never have received my copy of The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond, aka The Pioneer Woman) that came as part of last year’s BlogHer Food conference, bummer. I spent some summers in Oklahoma on my uncle’s farm, nothing as large as the ranch Ree and her family live on but there were fields, cattle, chickens, a barn with a loft (and soft hay below to land in when you jumped off), a swimming hole, very hungry greyhound dogs to feed dinner scraps to each night and a huge, endless sky. The farm was just outside a small town and checking Google maps now I can tell you the town has all of six streets. I’ve been joking with Scott that our next house needs to have neighbors that are further away, as in blocked from our view by the curvature of the earth. Bet those summers in Oklahoma influence my desire for a bit more breathing room.

a 1.5 inch corona bean after an overnight soaking

Wish I had a photograph of endless sky for you to put right here but instead this bean will have to do. For Easter weekend I made the Giant Crusty and Creamy White Beans recipe from Super Natural Cooking that I first made for cookbook club. This time I managed to track down some corona beans at ChefShop. Holy rhinoceroses people, these beans are huge and only get huger when you soak them, then they puff up quite a bit more when cooking. It was like eating magic beans. They are delicious, I highly recommend you track some down sometime. And taste one half way through boiling, they taste like chestnuts.

· comments [13] · 04-5-2010 · categories:books · shopping ·

• 1 barrie // Apr 5, 2010 at 6:25 am

you can get pioneer woman’s booked when she’s here. then she signs it and you can bond over farms.

• 2 Kaela // Apr 5, 2010 at 7:52 am

oooh, will you show us a skirt once it’s made?

• 3 Amanda H // Apr 5, 2010 at 7:53 am

I love the PW recipes, but the cookbook was a little disappointing, the printing and the font were off and sometimes hard to read, and it doesn’t stay open on the counter.

• 4 Eileen // Apr 5, 2010 at 8:35 am

Heidi’s crusty creamy white beans are the best! I’ve been making way too many batches of her banana espresso muffins, even though I normally don’t really like baked goods. (Sacrilege!) You should also definitely try the fig jam when it gets to be fig season–that stuff is perfect, especially with cheese.

• 5 whitney // Apr 5, 2010 at 9:17 am

So, I got my Pioneer Woman cookbook from the BlogHer Food swag bag, but never got my Steamy Kitchen cookbook!

Ah well. I may just break down and buy a copy at some point.

• 6 Estee // Apr 5, 2010 at 10:20 am

Great looking books. Hows that Grow Great Grub book. We’re in the process of watching our seedlings grow. Love home growing!!

• 7 Jaden // Apr 5, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Honey! I’m honored to be on your shelf!!! xo jaden

• 8 CakeSpy // Apr 5, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I absolutely adored The Butcher and the Vegetarian (so well written!) and think I may need to buy several of the others.

• 9 Bunny // Apr 5, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Those beans are ginormous… you’d need, what, three of them in a bowl for an entire meal?

• 10 Erica // Apr 6, 2010 at 7:52 am

Damn, those beans! Fantastic…I’ll have to see if I can track them down.

• 11 megan // Apr 6, 2010 at 11:02 am

Thanks Jaden!

Whitney – Wish we lived closer, we could trade for a while.

CakeSpy – Agreed!

• 12 jek // Apr 8, 2010 at 7:30 am

i just finished the pioneer girl’s gd to life last night, sweetness. yer book list looks pretty nifty. if only i could get more books instead of pack them all away.

that bean is to die for. amazing. i am jealous. go bean girl!

• 13 megan // Apr 8, 2010 at 7:53 am

Jek – Thanks. I have not admit, book have long since overspilled my bookshelf and are now in precarious tall stacks all around it.