Easter Surprise Eggs (the easy version)

colorful Easter eggs

Earlier I made Chocolate Easter Surprise Eggs. I really enjoyed making them but realize, of course, how complicated they were. I am clearly a crazy person. Here is something similar but much easier to make. To sum up: dyed eggshells filled with candy and/or toys and sealed at the bottom with paper.

Before:

a yellow egg with a tag that says Crack Me

After:

cracked egg, with candies spilling out

You will need:

• enough time to let dyed eggs dry overnight
  • one dozen eggs (or however many you’d like to make)
  • boxes of both regular and neon McCormick food coloring
  • assorted candies or toys small enough to fit into an egg
  • mini muffin papers, or paper nut party cups, or regular paper, or big roundish stickers
  • glue
  • a cookie cooling rack, or skewers stuck in some styrofoam, or six sets of takeout chopsticks stuck in a vase (for drying the dyed eggs upside down)

Handy but not necessary:

• an egg topper or a Dremel

colorful eggs in tissue paper grass

These are a re-do of surprise eggs I made ages ago. (I think that was one of the first tutorials I put on this site.) I took inspiration from both Kinder Eggs and Cascarones, eggshells filled with confetti usually cracked over the head of a friends or family. (Note: some of the images below were reused from my earlier tutorial, so they might look familiar.)

Emptying the eggs

emptied egg shells

To prepare the eggshells I followed Martha’s Stewarts instructions for making chocolate filled real eggshells. I didn’t have a Dremel so I used an inexpensive egg topper to cut the bottoms of the eggs.

showing the teeth of the egg topper

This egg topper isn’t the best tool for the job and often leaves jagged edges. If you don’t have this you can use a pushpin to carefully crack an opening, and I’ve seen mention of using nail scissors to carefully cut a tidy hole. Really though, you don’t need to worry about beauty here as we’ll be gluing something over the edges of the opening at the end.

Sterilizing the eggs

This again is from Martha Stewart’s instructions. I carefully rinsed out each eggshell, using a finger to scrape away the last bit of the egg white that is attached inside. Submerge in a large pot (I could fit a dozen eggs in a 4-quart pot) and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Skim foam from the top as it appears, if you forget about the pot it will cook into a weird stiff foam.

To cool the shells lift them them one by one from the pot, letting the hot water run out, and submerge them into a bowl of cool water. If you just fill the pot with cold water the boiling water will linger inside the eggshell, so be careful. (Go on, ask me how I learned that.)

Set them upright on a cookie cooling rack or a kitchen towel to drain and dry a bit while you’re preparing to dye. (I found eggs taken right from water and put into dye didn’t do as well. I could be wrong.)

Dyeing the eggs

seven eggs, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and magenta

Since I find empty eggshells too delicate to decorate after sterilizing I wanted color to be the main attraction, so I spent time finding the right number of food color drops to create really vibrant color. I wasn’t necessarily going for a rainbow but that’s what I came up with.

You might also consider doing all the eggshells one color and using candies that coordinate well. (Oh man, am I really suggesting you coordinate your eggshells to your candy? I am, but it’s pleasantly striking in the chaotic world of color that is Easter decorations. I show an example below.)

one egg in dye in a Pyrex measuring cup

You’ll want to dye the eggs in a non-reactive (not metal) container. I used Pyrex measuring cups and porcelain mugs. Don’t agitate the eggs, I learned the hard way that this makes them blotchy, instead just turn them over about half way through the dyeing time.

seven colored eggs on a plate

These instructions are for the familiar McCormick food coloring you can find in any grocery store, one box of regular colors and one box of neon colors. Each below will cover one egg at a time, you can either double the ingredients or let a second egg soak just a bit longer.

For each of these I used:

• 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1 cup just-boiled water
  • 10 minutes of soaking, turning the egg over half way through (15 minutes where noted)

red

purple

• 7 drops neon blue
  • 5 drops neon pink

magenta

• 10 drops neon pink
  • 2 drops neon purple

If you’d like to make your own colors know that I found starting with neon colors and adding regular colors to tone those down worked the best in most cases for me.

lifting egg with a skewer

I used skewers to lower and lift the eggs out of the dye. I let them dry by hanging them on more skewers stuck in a styrofoam cone I had in the house. I dabbed with paper towels to catch drips.

eggs at the end of skewers stuck into styrafoam

You could also simply set them on your cookie cooling rack, or hang them off of takeout chopsticks that have been arranged in a vase, anything that will allow them to drip downwards and have lots of airflow so they can dry. Last tip? Wear your least favorite black clothes, the drops of food coloring seem to get everywhere.

Filling the eggs

colored eggs with various candies

If your eggs are for kids I suggest buying slightly larger candies that will be easy to separate from the shards of eggshell, maybe sticking to wrapped candies. It can be frustrating to pick shards out of everything. (Though, egghshells are edible, as my father always liked to remind me.)

If you’re making these for adults (may I suggest those who are cubicle bound?) there are a number of surprisingly delicious and itty bitty candies I found while making the previous version, these are my favorites:

• Valrhona Perles Craquant (bb-sized dark chocolate around crunchy centers, found near the fancy cheeses at Whole Foods, you should use these on everything)
  • dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds from Trader Joe’s
  • chocolate and candy coated sunflower seeds
  • those tiny peanut butter cups also from Trader Joe’s
  • Robin’s egg blue candy coated caramels from The Confectionery in Seattle (I found similar versions at Peet’s coffee thanks to a tip from somebody on Twitter).

One candy I wish I’d found are the tiny wrapped hard candies called Glitterati, made by Chipurnoi. They are available in bulk online, but I’ve seen them in smaller bags at Trader Joe’s around Christmastime.

blue, gold and dark chocolate candies

The easiest way to make it a bit more elegant is to stick to three colors. My favorite was to dye the eggshells to match (well, almost match) some Robin’s egg blue caramels. Then I only used gold and dark chocolate candies inside. Keeping it to these three colors made for a nice presentation. You could do the same with silver. And metallic Jordan almonds may be cliche at weddings but I still find them pretty/shiny and very worthy of using here.

You could also fit small toys or gifts inside. For my previous eggs I made miniature crepe paper flower corsages and found small pipe cleaner chicks. I was also thinking about folding small fortune tellers to slip inside.

Sealing the eggs

gluing a baking cup to the bottom of the egg

I found the easiest thing to do was to use a mini baking cup, cut it down to about half the height, and glue it on. If you don’t want to trouble with cutting down the baking cup you can just use it as is. If I’d had the time I would have sought out baking cups that are more colorful.

You can also trim and use nut (or souffle) cups, or just some paper.

gluing a baking cup to the bottom of the egg

In Paris I saw these, which appear to be simply covered with a sticker:

eggs on a counter, the bottoms covered with large, shamrock shaped stickers

I like to include a “Crack Me” message. You could write on the egg using a colored marker, or put a sticker on it. I printed out this little message to include with the eggs and simply tucked it in the glued down cover:

close up of the Crack Me tag

And now one can open the egg by either cracking it, or just tearing off the paper base. Cracking it is way more fun.

colored eggs in a bakery box

See also

Chocolate Easter Surprise Eggs, I put layers of chocolate on the inside to be like a Kinder Surprise egg and also included small toys. They, uh, take a bit longer to make.

chocolate beneath a real eggshell

· comments [135] · 04-1-2010 · categories:craft · holidays ·

• 1 tiffany // Apr 1, 2010 at 9:02 pm

i can totally do that! thanks for making it easier for me. :)

• 2 Kaela // Apr 1, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Really beautiful! The color recipes are awesome, I can’t wait to try them. Could you tell us, what is the green grass in the box in the last picture. Is it tissue paper? Did you make it? It’s beautiful whatever it is. (BTW, I’m a huge blog stalker, er admirer of yours and have really enjoyed your posts on Paris)

• 3 Michelle // Apr 1, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I am going to the store right now to get the stuff to make these. I am thinking they would make lovely place cards for Easter dinner.

The Kinder eggs were the highlight of my trip to Paris my junior year of high school. Our whole group acted like 12 year olds collecting all of the different prizes. I have really enjoyed the last few weeks of posts, so thank you.

• 4 megan // Apr 1, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Tiffany – Yay, I had been wanting to remake these simple versions so I’m glad I took the time while I had all the supplies covering every surface of my kitchen and dining room :)

Kaela – Thank you. The grass was premade, and it’s really clever. You can trim it to size. It opens like an accordion (think: those old fashioned hanging tissue ball decorations).

You can buy it here:

You can almost see how it opens up here:

I found it at a specialty paper and packaging store near me.

• 5 megan // Apr 1, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Michelle – Oh, yes. You can write directly onto these eggshells (the earlier ones I was afraid of marker soaking through to the chocolate layer inside).

• 6 justJENN // Apr 1, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Loving all your egg tutorials!

• 7 sara // Apr 1, 2010 at 11:39 pm

fantastic! and much more my speed ;) i’m so slow and messy already i need the easy versions…

• 8 Pink Martini // Apr 2, 2010 at 1:05 am

Wow! I think you are beyond Martha! I would have *cracked* under the pressure of putting these together. Unbelievable job! I love the look of them drying and think that alone would be a pretty mid-century looking centerpiece. Where did you find that paper grass? Very cool. :)

• 9 Travis // Apr 2, 2010 at 2:42 am

First time reader, and I must say that I love this idea (and your blog!) But I was wondering to make the egg completely edible, is there a way where you can hollow out the egg, make a white chocolate mold, get rid of the eggshell, and then just paint the white chocolate egg mold with edible food color paint?

• 10 Jessica // Apr 2, 2010 at 3:58 am

LOVE THESE! Those eggs are so vibrant!

• 11 Danielle // Apr 2, 2010 at 6:29 am

too cute – and definitely much easier than the chocolate eggs (tho still very tempting…). thanks for sharing!

• 12 Jen // Apr 2, 2010 at 8:05 am

beautiful. I really appreciate that you’ve shared the colour recipes, as your colour range is really nice.

• 13 megan // Apr 2, 2010 at 9:17 am

Travis – It would be possible but tricky. It would be difficult to remove the eggshell without scratching the white chocolate surface of the egg. Make sure to temper your white chocolate really well so that it will shrink as it sets. Make sure your interior coating of white chocolate is thick, Martha Stewart directions have you filling the egg with warm chocolate, waiting a few minutes, then dumping the remaining chocolate out. If you use couverture chocolate you might have some luck. See my notes on struggling with chocolate over at my chocolate easter surprise eggs post.

I’m assuming you don’t want to deal with the seams that using egg shaped chocolate molds would create, so I wish you good luck.

• 14 redmenace // Apr 2, 2010 at 9:22 am

You are not crazy unless you’re talking about crazy talent. I’ll give you that, girl!

• 15 Shetha // Apr 2, 2010 at 9:29 am

Love these! I made them “way back when” too, based on your write-up. Just sad that I didn’t get to make the mini-pinatas this year. I guess there’s still time, but SO much to do!

• 16 celeste // Apr 2, 2010 at 9:46 am

my eggshells are boiling as I type! Do you mind sharing where you found the tissue paper grass in Seattle?
    I am going to buy jumbo eggs to do the toy thing!
    Celeste

• 17 megan // Apr 2, 2010 at 10:05 am

Celeste – I found the tissue grass at Packaging Specialties in SODO.

Pink Martini – I’ll refer you to my notes in comment #4 above for more details on the tissue grass, it’s neat stuff.

• 18 Jessi // Apr 2, 2010 at 10:44 am

Your egg color wheel is so gorgeous! I could definitely do these, thanks for the simplified version! I remain terrified of doing anything with chocolate. I had the Kinder eggs in germany 5 years ago, and still have my cute little snail I found inside :)

• 19 Debbie // Apr 2, 2010 at 11:07 am

Wow…these colors are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing all the details and pics…definitely want to try this sometime soon.

• 20 DIY Friday: Easter Surprise Eggs | Pattern Hound // Apr 2, 2010 at 11:29 am

[...] dyed eggshells are filled with candy and/or toys and sealed at the bottom with paper.  Learn how to make these surprise filled eggs at not martha, a wonderful website by a gal named Megan. Cracked Easter Surprise [...]

• 21 celeste // Apr 2, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Thanks so much! You have no idea how much I love your blog! Do you ever have craft days and invite your readers?

• 22 kat // Apr 2, 2010 at 2:09 pm

you are just amazing.

• 23 Hot Links from the Kiddos. – Modern Kiddo // Apr 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm

[...] These moustache and button apple lollipops would be adorable in an easter basket. You can learn how to make them from the lovely Elsie over at A Beautiful Mess. Did you happen to see the INSANE egg tutorial that Megan over at Not Martha came up with? These eggs are so OUT OF CONTROL—very cool but wowzer (let’s just say she took real eggshells, empty them, sterilized them, double lined with with TWO kinds of chocolate, crafted handmade paper daffodils to stuff inside…shoot I’m exhausted just TYPING that!!). You have to check out this detailed tutorial. Then, because she is so awesome, she came up with a simpler version too. [...]

• 24 Rachel // Apr 2, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Oh wow. These are gorgeous and totally doable! Thank-you so much for sharing! I’ll be linking to these.

• 25 CAROLINE // Apr 2, 2010 at 7:44 pm

This is just as gorgeous, but so much easier for normal people like me. You’re so creative!

• 26 Boots // Apr 2, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I stumbled upon your site & I’m in love! I’m a fellow craftter & all around nut but I must say this is a great tutorial. I’m making confetti eggs tomorrow & I actually use colorful tissue paper to cover the bottom. Thanks for beig rad and showing us your quirky adventures of awesome!

• 27 Natalie // Apr 3, 2010 at 8:33 am

I’m dying my eggs as we speak. I’ve yet to decide if I’m brave enough to try the chocolate thing – but we’ll see. I have it, just in case.

• 28 Ellen Q // Apr 3, 2010 at 10:22 am

I’m in love with these and thank you so much for the pointers on creating those fantastic colors you got! My eggs usually come out more muted than I like.

• 29 Elsa // Apr 3, 2010 at 10:53 am

I just want to chime in and say how bowled over I am by these eggs! Thanks for posting a simpler version — though your gorgeous fancier version takes my breath away, it’s inspiring to see that they look almost as lovely when they’re a little less perfectly polished.

Either way, they are amazingly charming! Just like you, I’m sure.

• 30 Sarah // Apr 3, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Re: Boots

We make confetti eggs too! So fun! Tissue paper is easy too-you don’t have to glue it. Ours sticks pretty firmly with just water. It’s firm enough to have 2 left over from last Easter :) (We hid them too well…)

• 31 Danny King // Apr 3, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I made these in Nottingham, UK for Easter!

Thanks!

• 32 seth // Apr 3, 2010 at 1:06 pm

you know what these would be awesome in? a real grass easter basket. i grew one one year for my exgf, and it turned out excellent. i filled some eggshells with jellybeans, etc. and nestled them in the grass. mine were open on the top, but these would be even better.
    obviously it’s too late to do this this year, although if you knew somewhere that sold sod by the square foot, you could use that (although i don’t know how lush sod is).

• 33 Sara L. // Apr 5, 2010 at 4:17 am

Lovely job…both egg projects.

Can you tell me, what was in the eggs you saw in Paris? Candy/toys? Was it at a bakery?

• 34 barrie // Apr 5, 2010 at 6:27 am

i noticed on your “about me” bit on the top right you said you were “dying easter eggs”. yeepers! i think dyeing is what you wanted to say :-) otherwise that would be one sad egg hunt.

• 35 Faith // Apr 5, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Thanks so much for the tutorial, Megan! These were just fabulous. I made them for Easter and posted them just now at The Kitchn: Surprise Eggs for Spring Festivities

• 36 megan // Apr 5, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Faith – Thank you so much for linking here, it’s always an honor to appear on the Kitchn. Your eggs look amazing!

• 37 jan // Apr 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm

such a cute idea!

• 38 Azucar // Apr 6, 2010 at 11:00 am

I made these and my kids were absolutely enchanted. As far as they knew, they had dyed raw eggs which the easter bunny then transformed by some sort of miracle into candy eggs.

Thank you for a clever idea that was really fun to make.

• 39 megan // Apr 6, 2010 at 11:05 am

Azucar – How amazing, thanks for sharing the story, it made me smile!

Thanks so much to everybody, and thanks for the extra ideas. I’m almost ready to start eggs for next year :)

• 40 Kat // Apr 7, 2010 at 6:40 pm

OMG you are my hero. These are fab!

• 41 Cascarones!!! « Three Sneaky Bugs // Apr 11, 2010 at 8:10 pm

[...] last easter egg post, Kristin left a comment that has blown my socks off! She pointed out these and these made by Megan at Not Martha. Ummm…. yeah, I basically just did her “easy” [...]

• 42 Easter Eggs « Reed the Wirehaired Vizsla // Apr 15, 2010 at 5:34 pm

[...] I saw these Easter Surprise Eggs on not martha, I decided I had to make them. 5 dozen eggs later, Kyle’s gotten great at lobotomizing eggs, [...]

• 43 » Happy {Easter} Weekend. // Sep 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm

[...] not one, but two ways to make chocolate Easter surprise [...]

• 44 Easter Surprise Eggs | // Feb 19, 2011 at 10:04 pm

[...] bold Easter eggs remind me of the eggs I made for my son’s Mario Party, but so much prettier. Not Martha shows you step by step on how to make these fun eggs for your next Easter egg hunt.  Have fun [...]

• 45 LisaMarie // Feb 27, 2011 at 8:35 am

Wao!!!! this is a brill idea, the photos are great and instructions simple… Thanx ill have to try these for Easter :)

• 46 Elizabeth // Mar 1, 2011 at 9:48 am

I love this! I linked this tutorial to my blog for Tutorial Tuesday Easter Edition. Thanks so much! erraticallyelizabeth.blogspot.com

• 47 the celebration shoppe blog » Archive » crack! a filled Easter egg // Mar 10, 2011 at 8:15 am

[...] we say OH MY! and HOW CLEVER! I love this idea and the photograpy from Not Martha. You must hop over and see many many more pictures including step-by-step instructions and [...]

• 48 Kim @ The Celebration Shoppe // Mar 10, 2011 at 8:17 am

Completely in love with this idea and the photography! Must share on my blog today!! http://blog.thecelebrationshoppe.com/2011/03/10/crack-a-filled-easter-egg/

• 49 Save Your Eggs « Elizabeth's Finds // Mar 10, 2011 at 3:27 pm

[...] So this time of year there are lots of fun things you can make for your kids and loved ones. One fun thing you can make is an Egg Cracker. You take empty eggs you carefully cracked and fill them with new surprises. Here are some fun ones and step-by-step instructions at Not Martha. [...]

• 50 Liz // Mar 21, 2011 at 8:59 am

I want to try these out again this year. I made them last year and they turned out well, but the filling left a lot to be desired. There weren’t many things I could find to use in them that would fit and taste good! Unfortunately we are about 6 hours from the closest Trader Joe’s, but since I am giving myself a little head start this year, I should be able to find something.
    Thanks for this tutorial and inspiration!

• 51 gebrichi // Mar 25, 2011 at 5:42 am

Absolutely inspiring ideas, beautiful photos. I love the Crack me eggs and am inspired enough to borrow this idea but I’ll be using empty plastic eggs instead, even our lady Martha is using them this year.

• 52 Click on, lovelies « squirrels in wren's nest // Mar 25, 2011 at 9:18 am

[...] DIY Kindereier. Ridiculously cute. [...]

• 53 Easter Egg Magic « // Mar 28, 2011 at 12:10 am

[...] out this tutorial for dying eggs and filling them with Easter [...]

• 54 Luulla Handmade Blog » Blog Archive » Fun Easter Goodies // Apr 1, 2011 at 8:42 am

[...] Photo credit: not martha [...]

• 55 Fun Friday Links | Building Atlantis // Apr 1, 2011 at 8:59 am

[...] surprise Easter eggs are probably way too involved for my level of patience, but I want to make them [...]

• 56 Tiffany // Apr 2, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Thank you for this! My son and i finished dying our first batch tonight and we had so much fun doing this together! We can’t wait to fill them tomorrow and share them with everyone at Easter!!!

• 57 Carrie // Apr 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm

The greeks use red clothing dye to make their beautiful dark red colored eggs, Then you play a game to crack eachothers hard boiled eggs. Whoever has the egg thats not cracked in the end wins a prize! Christos Anesti!

• 58 How to decorate Easter Eggs | Skip To My Lou // Apr 5, 2011 at 5:41 am

[...] Brightly dyed eggs with a secret message [...]

• 59 Dying Easter Eggs « Money Saving Secrets of a Hawaiian Jewish Princess // Apr 5, 2011 at 10:14 pm

[...] Brightly dyed eggs with a secret message [...]

• 60 TodaysMama | Blog | Real Candy-filled Eggs // Apr 7, 2011 at 3:59 am

[...] trying these candy-filled eggs. I had a blast last year making them. I followed Megan’s detailed tutorial here and encourage you to do the [...]

• 61 Chris // Apr 7, 2011 at 5:35 am

Just saw this exact same thing in the FamilyFun magazine!

• 62 megan // Apr 7, 2011 at 9:42 am

Chris – Yay, they licensed the idea from me (there is a small credit in the fold of the page). I’m so glad you saw it, the magazine is really great.

• 63 KidStyleFile » Blog Archive » Make It Crafty: Easter Crafts & Decorations // Apr 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm

[...] Cupcakes;  Green Clover Basket; Bunny Bean Bag Toss Game; Filled Egg Surprises; Doily Basket; Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs; Elfin; Printables; Bunny Ears var addthis_language = [...]

• 64 A sneak peek… | Sharing My Loves // Apr 7, 2011 at 9:08 pm

[...] She makes these super cute hollowed easter eggs filled with candy and small toys.Check it out! [...]

• 65 Easter | // Apr 8, 2011 at 12:25 pm

[...] night, we dyed Easter eggs using these [...]

• 66 Blog Round-Up: Easter Fun | The Hungry Cook // Apr 9, 2011 at 1:03 pm

[...] Easter Surprise Eggs from Not Martha: [...]

• 67 Easy Easter Craft Ideas | Holland Park Kindergarten // Apr 10, 2011 at 4:19 am

[...] Easter Surprise Eggs.  I left my favourite for last.  I can hardly wait to see the kid’s faces when they find a mini pinata at their place at the table.   This is also the perfect gift idea for kid’s who are allergic to chocolate.  Fill the egg with a small toy or a collection of lollies and they’ll forget all about chocolate as they’re smashing open this homemade version of a kinder surprise. [...]

• 68 Easter Eggs with a Surprise Inside | Family Style // Apr 11, 2011 at 9:29 am

[...] Want to know how to make your own? There’s a full tutorial over at Not Martha. [...]

• 69 Easter Happiness | Little Luxuries of Mackinac Island Blog // Apr 11, 2011 at 4:02 pm

[...] Easter Surprise Eggs [...]

• 70 Easter Crafts Round-Up « // Apr 12, 2011 at 6:35 am

[...] the easy version of Easter Surprise Eggs from Not Martha (see also her chocolate surprise eggs [...]

• 71 Folksy Blog – Craft ideas, kits and tutorials for kids // Apr 13, 2011 at 11:03 pm

[...] is not yet able to stitch they will still enjoy helping you cut out and make the pom pom tail. Surprise Eggs – perfect make for an Easter party, these eggs are so beautiful and anything that involves [...]

• 72 Joanna // Apr 14, 2011 at 11:50 am

Hi there! I love this idea…it’s so darling…and I was hoping that you might add it to my Easter and Spring Linking Party to share with my readers. If you are interested, you can go here http://bakedbyjoanna.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-linking-party.html to enter. Thanks!

• 73 Sarah’s Favorite Things | Salt & Nectar // Apr 15, 2011 at 12:03 am

[...] hides cascarones so I am eager to hop to it and surprise my little chicks with these sweet and colorful updates to our family’s favorite confetti eggs. (Oops, did I just reveal the EB’s true [...]

• 74 Saturday Links – The Easter Edition // Apr 15, 2011 at 11:48 pm

[...] wonder if I can make these Easter Surprise Eggs from Not Martha without my kids knowing….they are so cool! Not Martha has lots of other great Easter ideas as [...]

• 75 Pasen DIY’s: eieren « LIVLIG // Apr 17, 2011 at 6:01 am

[...] suprise eieren – Not Martha [...]

• 76 Ouă umplute cu surprize « Idei pentru mamici si copii // Apr 18, 2011 at 1:59 am

[...] M-am inspirat de aici. [...]

• 77 Easter Egg Fun « « Seattle Mamas Seattle Mamas // Apr 18, 2011 at 3:38 am

[...] we don’t dye our Easter eggs, I admire those who do! Local fab Not Martha shares how she dyed eggs then filled them with [...]

• 78 50+ Easter Egg Decorating Ideas (Links) | COOLEST FAMILY on the BLOCK // Apr 19, 2011 at 12:27 pm

[...] MESSAGE EGGS *Egg with a Secret Message @ Poppy Talk: *Easter Surprise Eggs (the easy version) @ Not Martha: *Chocolate Easter Surprise Eggs @ Not Martha: *How to Make [...]

• 79 Easter Bunny-ing It Up | The Hungry Cook // Apr 19, 2011 at 10:11 pm

[...] back, I also succumbed to the impulse to make my own version of the candy-filled Easter eggs from Not Martha. I’m still working on those, but I’ll be sure to post some photos when they’re [...]

• 80 Eggstatic | asilentstorm // Apr 20, 2011 at 6:00 am

[...] you seen this at [...]

• 81 Nicole // Apr 20, 2011 at 11:12 am

I made these. And blogged about it giving you credit for the wonderful idea. Easter is going to so much fun!

• 82 Julie // Apr 20, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Thanks so much for this cute project! Mine turned out beautifully! I really appreciated the easy to follow instructions! :)

• 83 Mags // Apr 21, 2011 at 1:06 pm

These turned out great — and your instructions couldn’t have been clearer! Blogged my results over here:

• 84 Best Egg Dying Ideas | Family Style // Apr 21, 2011 at 9:08 pm

[...] Rainbow Surprise Eggs at Not Martha [...]

• 85 Lisa Marie // Apr 22, 2011 at 4:17 am

Hi, I loved this tutorial so much that I mentioned it in my Chocolate Orange Nests for Easter post… such a great idea, thanx for sharing

• 86 Celebrations Circle | Life of the Party // Apr 22, 2011 at 8:05 am

[...] we're on the topic of un-egg-spected treats here's a great idea from Not Martha that will add a little bit of color to your Easter. A festive spin on New Year's party poppers, [...]

• 87 Celebrations Circle! | Life of the Party // Apr 22, 2011 at 9:02 am

• 88 Easter: A Documentary // Apr 25, 2011 at 5:37 pm

[...] If you want to know how to make the candy-filled Easter eggs that I whipped up, check out the tutorial at [...]

• 89 Spring 2011 | The Laughing Monkey // Apr 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm

[...] did manage to make Not Martha’s Surprise Eggs which were a lot of fun.  The kids loved them. They are filled with chocolate, jelly beans, [...]

• 90 wonders of Easter « squirrels in wren's nest // Apr 26, 2011 at 7:16 am

[...] eggs. It had never occurred to me that I could even use simple food coloring. Until I saw some beautiful pics over on Not Martha and wondered how she could achieve those amazing colors. Food coloring, duh! Last year I tried [...]

• 91 The Rise of Spring: Easter Craft & Baking Recap « The Outlaw Mom // Apr 28, 2011 at 7:28 am

[...] For detailed step-by-step instructions, see not martha‘s excellent tutorial for Easter Surprise Eggs here. [...]

• 92 Easter Fun « Life with Craft // Apr 29, 2011 at 3:25 pm

[...] Easter eggs for our family hunt on Sunday morning deserve a post of their own, they were a huge hit with the [...]

• 93 mary // May 2, 2011 at 7:57 am

Thanks for this! The eggs were a big hit at the office and at the annual Easter Picnic I go to with my family and some of their long time friends.

I “sealed” mine with icing (that hardens) and a non-peril mint. Ones that had chocolate pieces in them, had chocolate icing, and ones that didn’t have chocolate had white icing, so I could tell them apart, as there are people at the office who can’t have chocolate. This for the most part worked great, although if I were to do it again, I might put the icing on the non-peril first instead of around the hole in the egg, as it ran more than I’d anticipated..

• 94 5 Ideias Inspiradoras para o Dia das Mães « Idéias Inspiradoras // May 6, 2011 at 3:31 pm

[...] sua mãe). Escreva algo legal(não vale pedir presente!) num papelzinho, enfie no buraco e pronto! Se quiser passe uma tinta ou deixe cru e o coloque junto com os ovos da geladeira, deixando um recado para que ela quebre o [...]

• 95 Candy-Filled Easter Eggs « The Outlaw Mom // May 6, 2011 at 9:22 pm

[...] For detailed step-by-step instructions, see not martha‘s excellent tutorial for Easter Surprise Eggs here. [...]

• 96 The Outlaw Mom // May 9, 2011 at 11:05 am

I tried these and absolutely LOVED making and gifting these. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful pictures and tutorial :-)

The kids had so much fun cracking the eggs, I’m going to try these for all of our upcoming celebrations and holidays: Fourth of July eggs (stars and stripes), Halloween eggs, Christmas eggs, the possibilities are endless!

• 97 OLD FRIEND + NEW FRIEND // Jun 7, 2011 at 7:49 am

[...] choose!)Tiny Gingerbread Houses for your Hot DrinkLeprechaun Trap CakeMarble MagnetsParty CrackersEaster Surprise EggsNEW FRIEND: I met Joke of Tokketok Letterpress last November at Little Winter in Portland. She was [...]

• 98 samia // Jun 8, 2011 at 1:54 am

so pretty and so well done. love it.

• 99 OLD FRIEND + NEW FRIEND | koxp.nl / koxp / minimum requirement / game tricks // Jun 10, 2011 at 4:55 pm

[...] Easter Surprise Eggs [...]

• 100 Egg Delight! | Rosemary&Bourbon // Jul 1, 2011 at 5:55 pm

[...] them open. The jury is still out regarding whether this will become a tradition but here is the blog with the instructions we [...]

• 101 crack! a filled Easter egg // Jul 12, 2011 at 9:29 am

• 102 Stef // Mar 17, 2012 at 10:16 am

thanks for sharing my children will love them!

• 103 vanessa // Mar 20, 2012 at 3:44 pm

your ideas sound amazing. i LOVE it. and i will share it with my best friend, since we always celebrate Easter together. thanks for the tips. they will come in handy!

• 104 Jamie B // Mar 23, 2012 at 5:42 pm

These are amazing!

• 105 Brittney // Mar 31, 2012 at 8:02 am

have any suggestions on what to make with all the eggs??

• 106 Paula // Apr 2, 2012 at 11:04 am

Is this ok to do with just regular hard boiled eggs for the holiday? I am assuming it would be but I just want to make sure.

• 107 megan // Apr 2, 2012 at 11:27 am

Paula – I’m afraid you’re going to have to explain what you are asking about, I’m unsure what you want to know – ?

• 108 Christina // Apr 3, 2012 at 6:59 am

Could you share your robins egg blue recipe? I love the other colors, but I can’t seem to figure that one out. Thank you!!

• 109 megan // Apr 3, 2012 at 11:22 am

Christina – It’s actually the Blue listed in the colors above — 6 drops of neon blue and 1 drop of blue to a cup of water and a splash of vinegar.

• 110 Shannon // Apr 4, 2012 at 6:30 am

Wonderful post! I just posted on Boston Baby Mama about 2 of your tutorials I did with my (dinosaur obsessed) daughter:

• 111 Karen T // Apr 6, 2012 at 12:32 pm

These are great! I couldn’t find any mini baking cups, so I used circles of green fabric with grass prints. It worked great – provided support, and no one will be peeling them off!

• 112 Alicia // Apr 7, 2012 at 7:57 am

Love the shade of purple. Purple never comes out well. Always splotchy blue and red. Keeping my fingers crossed that ours turn out well. Thanks for the color recipes.

• 113 gina love // Apr 7, 2012 at 7:14 pm

thank you so much for the color combos. i did them with my children tonight and they are very vibrant and pretty!

• 114 Dianne // Apr 8, 2012 at 9:23 am

I love your site and this post is wonderful! I’m in awe over the original chocolate version but these were amazing enough. I did a batch, then another (the Dremel is great, but watch out for spraying egg white). Thanks for tons of helpful directions and color recipes. http://diannefaw.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/crack-me-candy-filled-easter-eggs/
    I did a few brown eggs filled with tiny Goldfish crackers, nuts and pretzel bits for my dad who lost his taste for sweets during chemo.

• 115 Ruby // Apr 8, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I filled some with sour patch kids and some with chocolates! I also added my own funny quotes- on a note- and placed them inside the eggs. My whole family enjoyed these. Will be doing these next year! THANK YOU !

• 116 Mini Piccolini // Apr 9, 2012 at 3:23 am

These are so fabulous! Definitely on my list of activities to get into next year when my little one is a little bigger!

• 117 » Eggshells Three Ways & Delightful Deviled Eggs BrightNest Blog // May 30, 2012 at 3:12 pm

[...] Photo: Not Martha [...]

• 118 The Budget Bunny | HerCanberra // Aug 11, 2012 at 8:57 pm

[...] Chocolate Easter Surprise Egg from Not Martha (pictured) is a bit complicated but looks [...]

• 119 Easter treats for you and your little ones // Dec 3, 2012 at 3:00 pm

[...] another very cool tutorial for dyed eggs from Not Martha – this time they’ve actually put sweets inside, so when [...]

• 120 siobhan // Feb 8, 2013 at 10:13 pm

I love this idea, and i’m getting married next year so will make a slightly altered version of the confetti eggs too (our wedding is doctor who themed so i will decorate the eggs to look like daleks)

• 121 Vanessa // Mar 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm

We make cascarones every Easter. Have got to try these colors! You can also just cut tissue paper in circles for the toppers, that’s what we use. also, to crack the egg, just tap the end you want to crack to a hard surface. :)

• 122 fairyguts // Mar 29, 2013 at 9:19 am

Did anyone else’s Magenta and Red come out almost the same? I added 13 more drops of red, but it’s still not quite red enough. Trying a new batch today and will use less neon pink. Every other color turned out gorgeous!! I can’t imagine how much time it took to come up with just the right combos. Thanks!!

• 123 Kelvin Wedding // Jun 10, 2013 at 4:19 am

Love the colors. Its so happy!

• 124 20 Easter crafts, foods and activities | Mum's Grapevine // Sep 23, 2013 at 11:07 pm

[...] Source: notmartha.org [...]

• 125 Link petkom: Inspiracija za Uskrs | craftzeeFactory // Jan 4, 2014 at 2:02 pm

[...] 4) Easter Surprise Eggs [...]

• 126 Happy Easter… // Jan 7, 2014 at 1:21 pm

[...] was her favorite.  We used these directions for dying vibrant eggs.  It definitely [...]

• 127 Web Coolness - pretty eggs, new Seuss, tiny Muppets and a blue bear | Cool Mom Picks // Jan 18, 2014 at 6:37 am

[...] the web the week. We hope you will too.Did you see our Editor Liz on The CBS Early Show? Fun Easter egg dyeing instructions on Not Martha (via DesignMom, shown)  A series of “lost” Dr Seuss stories will be [...]

• 128 Easter Surprise Egg » unikatissima's // Feb 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm

[...] I presented the chocolate Easter surprise egg, the Easter surprise egg is the chocolate free version :) For a really lower-calorie stuffing see better the message in an [...]

• 129 Oster-Überraschungsei » unikatissimas // Feb 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm

[...] habe ich das Schokoladen-Oster-Überraschungsei vorgestellt, das Oster-Überraschungsei ist die schokoladenfreie Version :) Für eine wirklich kalorienärmere Füllung guck’ einmal [...]

• 130 Nadia // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:47 am

Hi, your eggs are spectacular! I make cascarones in mass every Easter. The easiest way I have found to dry them after dyeing is to put them hole side down into the styrofoam egg cartons that I bought them in (leaving the carton flap open). I leave these outside to dry (if it’s sunny), or I put them next to a fan in the kitchen. The outside of the eggs dry perfectly and are not in danger of touching each other, because each egg is in it’s own nest. After the outside of the eggs have dried, I transfer the eggs, hole side up to the open flap side of the carton. The eggs are leaning up against each other and stay in the upright position. This step dries the inside of the egg. Or if you have extra clean and dry styro egg cartons, you can just transfer them to the nest part of the dry cartons.

• 131 Top 10 Things to do with Egg Shells this Easter // Apr 3, 2014 at 4:11 am

[...] love chocolate These really easy Easter surprise eggs from Not Martha will make a great addition to a bit of a treasure hunt for the [...]

• 132 10 Creative Easter Eggs // Apr 5, 2014 at 1:43 pm

[...] Eggs filled with chocolate and candy surprises?! Can you say yum? Now, that will be a kids’ favorite for sure. Maybe it’s not the easiest project, but you’ll have fun making it and ever more so once you see the look on your kids’ faces once they crack them open. [...]

• 133 Bridget // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:18 am

Lovely! Can’t wait to make these as surprises for my kids and maybe, if they’re lucky, the ladies at work as well!

• 134 Danielle // Apr 14, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I featured you on Blissful and Domestic today! Stop by and check it out! http://www.blissfulanddomestic.com/2014/04/6-frugal-ways-to-dye-easter-eggs.html

• 135 Four *NEW* ways to decorate Easter Eggs! // Apr 16, 2014 at 5:26 pm

[...] on the air.)Let’s start with expanding on the basics, dyeing the eggs. I learned through this blog posting from Not Martha that I could dye my eggs with food coloring instead of the pellets & achieve beautiful vibrant [...]