links: misc

Advice for snow chains? | Ask MetaFilter.

Help me watch The Wire. | Ask MetaFilter. Where to find a spoiler free reference and when to watch the prequels.

The last few links in the chain. | Ask MetaFilter. Oh my gosh, Chi-Chi’s restaurants are all gone?

Help me fight perspective! | Ask MetaFilter. With a link to the angular size calculator.

How to improve my posture? | Ask MetaFilter.

You Grow Girl™ – » Annatto Pod. Wow, she includes a link to a tutorial on using it to dye cloth or wool.

Cold Season Remedy: Homemade Cough Drops | The Kitchn.

Seattle Tall Poppy: Tips for Throwing a Party…Without Breaking the Bank. Can you keep a secret? I’ve never so much as thrown a dinner party. I’ve got to change that this year.

How do restaurants estimate how long you’ll have to wait to be seated? | Ask MetaFilter.

Authentic imitation. “The way that books used to be printed, the reader would have to cut open each page with a paper knife”, at Kottke.

· comments [8] · 02-24-2010 · categories:links · misc ·

• 1 herschel // Feb 24, 2010 at 7:38 am

the dinner party secret: make lots and lots of just a few dishes, rather than many dishes.

this ensures that you are serving some really awesome things that everyone gets the opportunity to try and you are not spending a lot of time running around refilling empty platters.

• 2 randomdesgin // Feb 24, 2010 at 10:00 am

If you’re shopping for snow chains:
    I have tried a multitude of different ones, starting with old school chains which are terribly difficult to put on. Then tried cable chains which were easier, but still not great. I finally got SCC Z-Chains which are much, much easier to put on. I use them once or twice a year and still manage to get them on with few hassles. Pack an extra pair of gloves for chain installation and crank your wheels (if front wheel drive) one way to provide better access to the back side.

And honestly, if it’s snowing buckets and freezing, I have no problem paying the chain guys to do it.

Good luck!

• 3 Stephanie // Feb 24, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I have an 1860′s copy of Shakespeare’s Sonnets that has only about 20 pages cut open. I bought it fully intending to NEVER cut the rest of the pages.

Further proof that I am a nerd – and that the person who bought the book originally didn’t like Shakespeare.

• 4 Bethany // Feb 24, 2010 at 8:59 pm

I worked at a Chi-Chi’s in the early ’00s. Our store was an hour away from the one that spread hepatitis that killed at least one person. That was ultimately the demise of the entire chain.

I still miss their seafood enchiladas.

• 5 5elemenknitr // Feb 26, 2010 at 3:32 pm

When I was stationed in Germany (1992-94), an American-run Chi-Chi’s opened across the street from my base (in Schweinfurt).

I got a job there as a waitress and I made more money working part-time there then I made in the Army!

The weirdest thing is that they wouldn’t let Germans into the restaurant after 5p unless they were with a G.I.!! Germans sit and talk for hours after a meal and American restaurant chains are all about “get-’em-in-get-’em-out”.

• 6 Rose // Feb 28, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I don’t have a whole lot to say except the title “help me fight perspective” struck me as funny….

• 7 suswhit // Mar 1, 2010 at 6:22 am

I can’t wait to see what fun project you are using the perspective calculator on!

• 8 Jennifer // Mar 2, 2010 at 10:25 am

I like Herschel’s idea of lots of just a few dishes, instead of a little bit of lots of dishes. That way, you’re not buying a ton of different types of ingredients. With the small group of friends that I do regular dinner parties or whatever with, we like to do the potluck thing. That way, the host is never stuck being responsible for everything. Plus, it sort of opens you up to wine, appetizers, whatever that you might not have tried before.