my new camera, the Canon S90 (picture taken by my old camera)

the Canon S90 camera, in a blurry overexposed shot taken by my old point and shoot

Yesterday I went to the camera store to hold both the Canon S90 and the equally-awesome Canon G11 in my hands. As people (thank you people!) reported when I last talked about this, the Canon S90 is far smaller. So we have a winner! I bought the S90. I was also enchanted by this boxy leather case for it, it’s far quicker to get the camera out of it than a zippered case.

the Canon S90 camera nestled in a boxy leather case

(Just after I took the shot above my poor little Nikon ran out of power and reported “Battery Exhausted”. Aw, cute.)

I also bought the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens that is recommended over and over again for Canon DSLRs. I have yet to snap it on to my Canon XSi, but I’m hoping for a chance to do some side-by-side comparison photos soon.

(p.s. Glazers Camera here in Seattle is excellent. I admit I was a bit intimidated going in but everybody there was geekily enthusiastic and friendly. Also, should my camera ever need repairs they will give me a loaner! The old camera served us well as the cheap and bought at the last moment camera that we brought with us when we eloped, and will live a full new life as the camera that lives in Scott’s gig bag to capture super fantastic backstage shenanigans. Many of you feel bad for this camera but do not, the new one is much better.)

· comments [23] · 02-5-2010 · categories:shopping ·

• 1 kat // Feb 5, 2010 at 7:32 am

I looked into the S90 after you talked about it earlier. It has some quirks especially with macros but I like the sharp photos it takes

• 2 megan // Feb 5, 2010 at 9:36 am

Kat – I’m curious about the quirks, and I’m emailing you.

• 3 andi // Feb 5, 2010 at 9:50 am

i can’t wait to hear how you like that camera – i need a p&s desperately.

as for the 50mm, I LOVED mine and finally upgraded to the 1.4. that’s my kick around lens on my 5D. anyway, one piece of advice – the 1.8 isn’t super sharp at 1.8 all the time so if you set it at 2.0 or 2.4 or something similar, you’ll probably be a little happier with it. it sometimes is slow to focus, but as long as you know, you’ll be good to go. that lens ROCKS and the price rocks, too!

• 4 megan // Feb 5, 2010 at 10:20 am

Andi – Thank you so much for the tip. I’m almost nervous with anticipation to see how it changes how I use my camera.

• 5 Seanna Lea // Feb 5, 2010 at 10:40 am

Very nice. I’m definitely tired of our Nikon and its battery hogging ways. I’ll keep this one in mind if I finally decide I cannot take it anymore!

• 6 tracy // Feb 5, 2010 at 10:45 am

let the fun begin! she’s a beaut!

• 7 Eliza // Feb 5, 2010 at 10:52 am

Man, that leather case is rad.

• 8 Kerry // Feb 5, 2010 at 10:52 am

Thanks for the great blog – the camera looks great! Thanks also for the post (before Christmas) about magic loop knitting. I recieved a 43″ Hiya Hiya knitting needle for Christmas, and I absolutely LOVE it.

• 9 megan // Feb 5, 2010 at 10:59 am

Seanna Lea – I’ll report on battery times, especially after Paris!

Eliza – I couldn’t resist it. Does add bulk but, nice case.

• 10 kate // Feb 5, 2010 at 11:00 am

HA– love the sly reference to one of my favorite commercials of all time!

“Many of you are feeling sad for this lamp. That’s because you are crazy. It has no feelings! And the new one is much better.”

• 11 megan // Feb 5, 2010 at 11:09 am

Kerry – Congrats! I still don’t have needles long enough to use to try to learn magic loop knitting. I’ve seen it in action though and it looks really handy.

• 12 Natalie Mikolajczak // Feb 5, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Oh, I’m so envious. I can’t wait to hear how you like it. The proof will be in the Paris pictures (envious again!).

• 13 Storme // Feb 5, 2010 at 1:11 pm

The s90 will great for your trip! I’ve been eyeing the same two cameras and one thing that would make the G11 win out is the twisty screen for video, but the S90 is much more portable and has the f2.0 lens… (now I’m curious about magic knitting and will have to look that up…)

• 14 megan // Feb 5, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Storme – I used to have a camera with a flippy screen and I loved it a lot, so I was seriously looking at the G11. But in the end the portability of the S90 was what won. But if I were to only have one camera I probably would have gone with the G11.

• 15 b.kiddo // Feb 5, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Hey chika. I’m glad to be back reading your stuff. You passion for researching cameras is great. Have you figured out how to carry it everywhere, I have a powershot pro1 and i just cant get the hang of it, its just a teensy but too heavy. bla!
    *waves*

• 16 Rachel // Feb 5, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Congrats! As mentioned elsewhere :) I came to similar portability concerns when confronted with both cameras in person. I hope the s90 treats you well. Can’t wait to see the places you go with this one!

• 17 Isabelle // Feb 6, 2010 at 12:26 am

I have been coveting the s90 ever since your first posted about it. I was relieved to see that was your choice because I also ended up buying one yesterday. Just have to wait for it to be delivered now.

• 18 tobias cooks! // Feb 6, 2010 at 12:22 pm

congratulation. I am kooking forward to seeing the results.

• 19 WanderChow // Feb 7, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Can I just punch the air with glee in thank you for recommending Glazer’s Camera? I went in today to look at digital SLR cameras. Never had one but have wanted one for years. Not only did they have the D60 used, but also an 18-70mm lens and a Sigma 70-300 mm, all used, for a terrific deal. Bought it all on the spot. They were just the best. If it hadn’t been for you, I’d have paid much more. A thousand thank you’s and soon I will have some decent photos up on my new blog.

• 20 megan // Feb 7, 2010 at 9:37 pm

WanderChow – I’m so glad!

• 21 Lois // Feb 7, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I am absolutely loving my S90. Just sold my G10 to get the S90 and think it takes better pics- better white balance, depth of field is amazing. Hope you enjoy it!

• 22 campblsoupgrl // Feb 8, 2010 at 9:22 am

I keep hearing wonderful things about the S90 and I’m *thisclose* to buying it for my husband. I know you’re still reading the instructions but how are you finding it does in low light? My husband is a tattoo artist and he has to find the best light to keep the glare off the new tattoo so most of the time the light is relatively low.

• 23 Lindsey // Feb 9, 2010 at 10:05 am

Congrats on the S90 and the 50 1.8! That’s one of my favorite lenses. I’m a big fan of the blog and I also work at Glazer’s, so thanks so much for the kind words! You will love the S90, and that leather case is sharp. Happy shooting!